Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Unique Chicken Smell

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Unique Chicken Smell

by Richard S. » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:03 pm

One of the dishes from a departed restaurant I really miss is the Unique Chicken Smell once served by Red Pepper on Brownsboro Road. Tonight my wife and I made our first visit to Yen Ching, a little Chinese restaurant next to Shalimar on Hurstbourne Lane in the shopping center behind Boombozz. We mainly stopped in there because we were in that area and were too hungry to drive to our go-to Chinese restaurant in Middletown. They have a dish on their menu that's pretty similar to Smell, under the equally impressive name Hacked Chicken. It's a helping of cold shredded chicken with shredded carrots and celery, with the main difference being that the sauce was more akin to buffalo wing sauce while Red Pepper's version reminded me more of peanut butter. I don't recall ever hearing anything about the place; it seems to be pretty much a no-frills operation but we enjoyed our meal.
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Re: Unique Chicken Smell

by Mary Anne » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:16 am

Sichuan Garden in Plainview used to have an awesome hacked chicken (not sure if it's still on the menu), and I know Lemongrass in Middletown still has it on their menu. I remember Unique Chicken Smell with such fondness! I miss Red Pepper too...