Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Re: CJ liked America the Diner last week

by MarieP » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:25 pm

I could drink their brown gravy :-) The poutine was my favorite part-- the pimento cheese burger was not bad either-- good choice to use Nord's buns and make it from brisket/skirt steak/ground beef!
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:26 am

I will just again emphasize that we are focusing way too much attention on these mediocre restaurants and the fact that they get the focus, dilutes anything innovative that is or could be going on in the city. Who freaking cares about a whatever diner????!!! We jump all over the CJ restaurant reviewer for her bizarre choices of restaurants to review, this place is no different.
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

by GriffinPaulin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:01 am

I'm not here to attack or defend anybody, but as far as Dustin "not answering for Rumplings"- to be quite honest, if anybody has a question about that, I would be the person to direct it toward. I am certainly willing, and absolutely the most capable, of "answering" for it. I don't care about America. The Diner., Who loved it, who hated it, etc.

But Rumplings is almost exclusively my success/failure to answer for. So feel free to start the Q&A, I'm checking in.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by GriffinPaulin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:18 am

Let me rephrase that. When I say I don't care, I only mean I'm not involved in America, Epic, Ten Tables, Roux, or any of that other stuff.

I'm only saying, if there is a Rumplings related question, or any anger about it, Dustin Staggers is not the person to direct it toward. Direct whatever sort of hate your heart desires at him for anything else, it's not my business. But, if you have a noodle shop related inquiry, I will certainly answer those candidly and without hesitation. I've had enough time for the sting of a failed business, my first business, to dissipate.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:28 am

GriffinPaulin wrote:But Rumplings is almost exclusively my success/failure to answer for. So feel free to start the Q&A, I'm checking in.

I can't speak to the business model, but for the record, I loved Rumplings so hard. I still miss it. :cry:
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by GriffinPaulin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Thank you, Robin. I loved it, too. I'm very happy to be at Over the 9 now, but certainly learned a lot about this business and myself during our time. The floor remains open if anybody has a question, it's no longer a "kick me while I'm down" type of situation. Ya know, I've been fielding (and dodging) questions about Rumplings for months, maybe it's just time to say my piece so everybody, including me, can move on.

That being said, it will not be Rumplings, but Ming, Jeremy and I are in the process of planning a ramen dinner. It will probably be some time in November.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:55 pm

meghan.levins wrote:I will just again emphasize that we are focusing way too much attention on these mediocre restaurants and the fact that they get the focus, dilutes anything innovative that is or could be going on in the city. Who freaking cares about a whatever diner????!!! We jump all over the CJ restaurant reviewer for her bizarre choices of restaurants to review, this place is no different.

Meghan, I think one of the major reasons that this restaurant and many others at the midprice range get more discussion here than I restaurants is that they are the kind of restaurants that people can afford to go to on a day-to-day basis. Very few can obviously afford to go to high-end restaurants on a regular basis. Another reason there's been so much discussion about this restaurant was explained earlier was a point that some of discussion took place about this restaurant prior to its opening. Also, many people who post here regularly have the feeling that Louisville really needs a good diner and were hoping that this would be it. Hopefully the management is reading the comments here and will make adjustments to make the restaurant better.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adam D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 am

by Adam D » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:10 am

Stopped in w the wife, son, and a few friends for lunch today. We seated ourselves and were greeted quickly by a friendly server who promtly took our drink orders. Once the drinks were brought we placed our orders. I wanted a cup of matzo ball soup and a BLT but they were out of matzo ball soup...so I just went w the BLT and tots. Wife got a create your own burger and fries. Friends got a salad, burger, quesadilla.

At this point things were going great for the meal. We started chatting and waited for our food...and waited...and waited. I believe it legitimately took 45 minutes to get our food. Having a 10 week old son with us, aka a ticking time bomb, this made my wife and I a little on edge. Luckily he stayed calm and we were able to wait it out for the food and enjoy it.

The food that came out was very good. The fries and tots were all hot and fresh and everyone agreed the sandwiches/burgers were very good. My friend also enjoyed her quesadilla.

So unfortunately out experience seems to echo many of the others in this thread. Pretty solid food, albeit a bit expensive for the fare, with service issues (back of the house in this case it seems).

I'd go back...wife will not she says.
Previous