Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Celiac Disease - and the local "Gluten Free" dining scen

by Steve P » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:49 am

It's amazing how ill informed people are about this disease (and I put myself at the top of that heap)...Becky spent a couple of hours with a nutritionist/dietitian last week and came away with a lot better understanding how difficult it can be to remain (absolutely) gluten free...Cross contamination is the -big- thing...e.g. ya can't eat anything cooked in cast iron because it is porous and may have products containing gluten cooked in it. Can't eat anything (french fries) that comes out of a fryer that had a product containing gluten fried in it....that gluten free pizza crust...made in a kitchen where they use copious amounts of gluten containing product....etc, etc.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:02 am

Carla G wrote:Since we have broached the subject - have you noticed that more and more people are being diagnoised (by a real doctor as Steve says) with celiacs? I'm talking about those with severe reactions to gluten not just an assumed lifestyle or food preference. I'm wondering if it's because of the GMO products that are now out there. I know tomato plants are genetically spliced with haddock genes to make them more cold resistant. I wonder what eating those tomatoes does to someone with seafood allergies? What's happening to our wheat?

I think it was about 15 years ago that I read that researchers were starting to suspect that Celiac was more prevalent than previously realized. Doctors are very hesitant to consider or test for rare diseases especially when the test is expensive. As doctor awareness has increased and testing has become more widespread more people are being diagnosed.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:03 am

It puts restaurants in quite the bind when the very real, but still only 1% of the population suffer from real Celiac Disease. What to do.
I personally wish that someone would open a gluten free place. But as a long time employee of Omega Institute in NY state. Perhaps the largest vegetarian institute in the world, we were constantly confronted my a myriad of food allergies, like the caraway intolerant lady, who rushed into the kitchen one day, blasting us for our indifference to "Caraway intolerant persons" it is up to the effected person to take responsibility for their illness. Cross contamination is a huge problem. I tell people with any allergy, to keep in mind that there is possible cross contamination in our kitchen. I will not take responsibility for a chance encounter with a bread crumb, or a stray onion, splinter of garlic, etc. etc. I hope some one takes up the mantle. I hope it is profitable enough to be a viable option for Louisville diners.
no avatar
User

AnnieMay

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:21 pm

by AnnieMay » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:08 am

We do what we can, at this tiny place. But, the bakery is not set up like a restaurant at all, so we can't exactly meet the needs of a diner looking for a restaurant experience. Also, I'm not sure if there is enough of a need for an entire restaurant, but there definitely seems to be a need for a breakfast place. We are slammed here on Saturdays for the full breakfast. There is a restaurant that is entirely gluten free that opened up in Bowling Green about a year ago. Based on their posts, they seem to be doing well, but no one would ever post that they were tanking. If they can make it another year in BG, then this city can probably sustain an entire restaurant as well. I would be happy to make the bread and desserts if someone wants to do it. :)
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:04 pm

My son Matt is one of the bakers for Sodexo at Bellarmine and he has been working with his bosses to bring more gluten free options and over all allergy awareness to what they serve...This was a big interest of his when he was in school at Sullivan.
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:04 pm

Steve, Please tell Becky that the best beer that Bob had last year in Europe was a gluten-free beer in the Czech Republic!!! There is hope :D :D :D! Also, the associated gluten-free restaurant had great food and we ate there several times not out of necessity but because it was so good! Know this has nothing to do with dining in Louisville, but may be worth trying some GF beers!
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by Kari L » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:45 am

AnnieMay wrote:There is a restaurant that is entirely gluten free that opened up in Bowling Green about a year ago. Based on their posts, they seem to be doing well, but no one would ever post that they were tanking. If they can make it another year in BG, then this city can probably sustain an entire restaurant as well.

I've been to Wheatless in BG and it was awesome. I had trouble deciding what I wanted to get because it all sounded so great and it was all safe! For example, I never get to have onion rings at a restaurant...but there, I could.

I'll be coming up on 3 years gluten free soon. Annie May's helps keep me from feeling like I'm missing out on a lot of things. You guys get it, you know what we miss, and you make it for us.
Previous