Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cafe with Beer Bar

no avatar
User

Holly Zoller

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed May 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Cafe with Beer Bar

by Holly Zoller » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:29 am

You guys remember Ray's Monkey House? How was he able to get a beer license? I know there weren't 50 seats in there, nor did he sell 70% food (unless coffee is food.) I'm asking because we run a retail store that we'd like to combine with beer and a mini-menu, but just got slammed down by the ABC saying that we won't qualify for the license without making it a 21+ space, which simply will not work.

TIA!
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Re: Cafe with Beer Bar

by Robin F. » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:18 pm

It was owned by Nimbus Couzins (sp?). You might be able to find him on here and send a pm.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:41 pm

My best guess is that the proprietor just did it under the radar ... until ABC noticed and told him to stop.

A lot of those rules are stupid, but if they're on the books, it's a problem for restaurateurs. You don't want to end up paying a hefty fine or worse. :cry:
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:37 am

Unless there are special restrictions in that area, anyone can get an NQ4 license which allows malt beverage consumption on premises with no food restrictions. Now if you want wine or liquor, you might have more restrictions.

Beer is fairly simple and straightforward in KY. Adding liquor and wine mucks it up quite a bit.
no avatar
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:45 am

Hello,

You should be able to get separate ABC Licences for Retail sales, Beer by the glass, wine by the glass and liquor by the glass. I'm involved with Commonwealth Tap out in Norton Commons and I know that we have at least those four different licences. It's been awhile, but when we were in the opening process the people at the ABC were very helpful- I'd start there. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Doug
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:53 am

Doug W wrote:You should be able to get separate ABC Licences for Retail sales, Beer by the glass, wine by the glass and liquor by the glass. I'm involved with Commonwealth Tap out in Norton Commons and I know that we have at least those four different licences.

Do you think the seating issue is in play there, though, Doug? It seems that the OP got the back of ABC's hand because they don't have, and can't accommodate, seating for 21+.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote: It seems that the OP got the back of ABC's hand because they don't have, and can't accommodate, seating for 21+.

Maybe I understood the OP incorrectly but I thought that the 21+ was a reference to restricting the age of people that would be allowed in the business. I thought this because 21 is obviously the drinking age.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:00 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote: It seems that the OP got the back of ABC's hand because they don't have, and can't accommodate, seating for 21+.

Maybe I understood the OP incorrectly but I thought that the 21+ was a reference to restricting the age of people that would be allowed in the business. I thought this because 21 is obviously the drinking age.

Right, I mixed that up ... under 50 seats, rather ...
no avatar
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:53 pm

Regarding the 21+, with the Licenses we have at Tap, we have to strictly enforce that only those 21 or older can actually enter the establishment. Kids are fine outside, but they are not supposed to come inside at all. I'm one of those people who cringes when I'm out somewhere and I see a child sitting at a bar, so the restriction part suits me just fine. :D