Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Spicy cocktails?

no avatar
User

Richard Meyer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Spicy cocktails?

by Richard Meyer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:07 am

My wife and I are always on the lookout for cocktails that involve some element of "heat". Any suggestions for where to find the best spicy cocktails in Louisville or surrounds?

(My all time favorite is the "global warming" at Cena!)
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: Spicy cocktails?

by juan.molina » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:38 pm

many of the Mexican Taqueria's have them, the Michelada

Michelada
8 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 32-oz. bottle chilled Clamato (about 4 cups)
1 32-oz. bottle or 3 12-oz. bottles chilled Mexican lager
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
1 tsp. Maggi Seasoning
2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
Lime wedges (for serving)

PREPARATION
Mix Clamato, lager, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and Maggi Seasoning in a large pitcher.

Mix salt and chili powder on a small plate. Rub rims of pint glasses with lime wedges and dip in salt mixture. Fill glasses with ice, add Michelada mixture, and garnish with lime wedges.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:50 pm

^ That's funny, my wife & I are the exact same way -- It's pretty much my passion when it comes to drinking. Scope them out all over the place in other cities, but only aware of a few options here.

My favorites:

1.) Bombay Heat (Basa) -- the one that got me started, and still my favorite. Incredible. Make them at home all the time.
2.) Mosquito (El Mundo) - Habanero Margarita, again, outstanding. They make the habanero syrup/mix/whatever in house
3.) Proof - Can't remember the name, but also was 'chili infused' with some kind of house syrup & spicy bitters.

Would love to hear some others that are TRULY spicy (hot), and don't just feature strong bitters or 'spice'.
Last edited by Adrian Baldwin on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:59 pm

I read the title and the previous post with great interest. I've always thought of cocktails is something refreshing to have with your meal, even something to cool down your taste buds after eating something spicy. I've never thought of them as something spicy and the only spicy cocktail I've ever had was a Bloody Mary which are great with brunch! I'll have to try some of the ones recommended here and see what I think. Thanks for the idea.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:20 pm

I had a spicy Manhattan at the Planet Bar and Bistro. Can't remember the name, but it was peppery concoction with a tasty black cherry at the bottom. I would definitely order it again.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:56 pm

Also of note are a few local beers.

Apocalypse Brew Works here in town has a 'Fallout Dust' is made with black peppercorns, and has a palpable peppery/spicy finish. I love it.

Country Boy Brewing in Lexington has a 'Nacho Bait' which is a habanero brewed version of their popular 'Cougar Bait' blonde ale...it's got some really nice heat.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:11 pm

After trying Fallout Boy, I was inspired made an infused vodka with black pepper, chile peppers, grated horseradish, and szechuan peppercorns. It was a bit much. Ginger is as spicy as my cocktails are gonna get from here on. Fallout Boy is indeed nice, though.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:15 pm

The Go To 'Rita at Wild Rita's is delicious. Guaca Mole has one with arbol chilies, but I don't remember the name.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:36 pm

We have a delicious refreshing serrano pepper margarita at Fontleroy's :twisted:
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Richard Meyer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

by Richard Meyer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:31 am

Some great suggestions! I'll be updating my "ToDrink" list immediately!

A few more from my running list... (apologies if I get some of the names or ingredients wrong, for some I have photos of the menu)

1.) Cena - Global Warming - Titos, St Germain, passion-fruit, poblano ice ball (absolute best ever, gets spicier as the ice melts, served in a copper mule mug. I've gone through many iterations of poblano ice spheres trying to get a home version. I'm close but nothing beats the "real" version)

2.) Guaca Mole - Morena? (not sure of the name and not seeing a cocktail menu online) - Tamarind margarita, fantastic in every way. A close second to the Global Warming.

3.) Basa - Bombay Heat (mentioned above) Jalapeno, cilantro, lemon, Bombay gin

4.) Brendon's Catch 23 - Easy Street - Gin, cointreau, lemon, sugar, cucumber, cilantro, jalapeno

(edited for readability)
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:23 am

Maijd's has nice spicy Margarita. It's some kind of pepper infusion, but I do not recall the exact variety. Sweetie loves them. I usually go for their Tobacco Manhattan, maybe with a Knob Creek substitution.