Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Mt. Everest View offers a delicious taste of Nepal

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Mt. Everest View offers a delicious taste of Nepal

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Chicken raasu ra bhat at Mt. Everest View

Our friend Ashley just came to town recently, from Alabama by way of 10 years in New York City. A savvy foodie with a love for ethnic eats and a proud adoptive Brooklynite, she came to Louisville expecting great regional fare, but worried that her new home town might be a culinary purgatory when it came to world cuisine.

It didn’t take her long to get over that. Louisville’s dining scene is no secret, so she expected great farm-to-table cuisine, craft beer and cocktails, and solid bourbon menus. “But it wasn't until I moved here that I learned how diverse Louisville's population is and, as a consequence, just how wide ranging and terrific the ethnic restaurant scene is.”

In six months, she says, she’s found Indian food here that rivals New York’s Jackson Heights; taquerias to match Sunset Park’s; Ethiopian food better than anything in D.C. Good Thai eats on seemingly every street corner.

So her eyes and taste buds were opening fast. And then the other night we took her to Mount Everest View, a Buechel storefront that’s been firing up some startling good Nepali cuisine since it opened July 15.

Yes, you heard that right: Nepal, “The Rooftop of the World,” sprawled across the face of the Himalayas (and, sadly, epicenter of a recent terrible earthquake), is represented in Louisville’s food community now.

“Frankly,” Ashley exulted after dinner, all full of momos and thukpa and raasu ra bhat, “it was a sight better than [the East Village’s] Cafe Himalaya.”

Mary and I agreed. This little spot in the mini-United Nations along Buechel’s Old Bardstown Road is now on my “highly recommended” list. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5369

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/09/mt-eve ... -of-nepal/

Mt. Everest View Restaurant & Bar

4109 Bardstown Road
384-7760
Facebook: http://bit.ly/MtEverestView
Robin Garr's rating: 90 points
no avatar
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

Re: Mt. Everest View offers a delicious taste of Nepal

by Ken Wilson » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:55 pm

This is great to hear! The moment we heard a Nepali restaurant was opening - about a month or so ago -we ran out to try it. We were way too early. We were the only customers and the menu was limited. The few things we had were very promising, but we knew they were going to get better and we would be back as soon as we knew everything was in place. Thanks for the heads-up. We will be there soon!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Glad to see this place get attention. We went a few weeks ago for thukpa and momos and really enjoyed it. I am very glad to have a reliable Nepalese place, and am looking forward to exploring their menu further -- especially in winter.

That whole area from Bodega Mi Sueno all the way to Dakshin is probably my favorite culinary stretch in town. I also saw Jasmine bakery got another review in Louisville monthly (was that where I saw it?) -- the gyro and cevapi sandwiches are really fine.

That said, your friend could not be more wrong about the Ethiopian food here vs. DC -- the DC metro area has places that utterly blow ours out of the water. No disrespect to ours, which are perfectly good, of course.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Iggy C wrote:That said, your friend could not be more wrong about the Ethiopian food here vs. DC -- the DC metro area has places that utterly blow ours out of the water. No disrespect to ours, which are perfectly good, of course.

Well, Ashley is really smitten by the nice folks and good food at Queen of Sheba, so I respect that. But she doesn't give out the scores. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Ken Wilson wrote:This is great to hear! The moment we heard a Nepali restaurant was opening - about a month or so ago -we ran out to try it. We were way too early. We were the only customers and the menu was limited. The few things we had were very promising, but we knew they were going to get better and we would be back as soon as we knew everything was in place. Thanks for the heads-up. We will be there soon!

Well, in fairness, it's still a tiny hole-in-the-wall, and the menu isn't huge. But the people are nice, the service and pacing were on point, and everything we tried was delicious. But it's not fancy, and I would be forgiving of rough edges on any given night.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Iggy C wrote:That said, your friend could not be more wrong about the Ethiopian food here vs. DC -- the DC metro area has places that utterly blow ours out of the water. No disrespect to ours, which are perfectly good, of course.

Well, Ashley is really smitten by the nice folks and good food at Queen of Sheba, so I respect that. But she doesn't give out the scores. :)

This retaurant sounds promising......As for Ethiopian, I won't make the DC comparisons, but I will say that Abyssinia (5th St) has an excellent lunch buffet. It has been one of my go-to places for quite some time. I used to eat at Addis Bar and Grill (4th St) quite a bit a few years ago. They had an excellent platter of Ethiopian food.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:52 pm

I really like Abyssinia's buffet -- lots of good vegetarian options, too.
no avatar
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:51 am

“Frankly,” Ashley exulted after dinner, all full of momos and thukpa and raasu ra bhat, “it was a sight better than [the East Village’s] Cafe Himalaya.”

Mary and I agreed. This little spot in the mini-United Nations along Buechel’s Old Bardstown Road is now on my “highly recommended” list. ...

I find this very intriguing. I'm going to check it out! :)
no avatar
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:00 am

My husband and I ate at Mt Everest saturday evening and it was DELISH!
It is owned and operated by a husband and wife team who couldnt have been more gracious. Everything we tried left us wanting more.
We'll definitely go back.