Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Do you like NOISE with dinner? Name the city's loudest spots

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:11 am

Do you love a noisy restaurant scene, or do you wish they'd turn the volume down? What restaurants do you think are Louisville's loudest?

The New York Times has a good piece on restaurant noise today. The pushback may be beginning.

Restaurants Take the Din Out of Dining
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Do you like NOISE with dinner? Name the city's loudest s

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:28 am

One place we'd go a lot more often for dinner if we could hear each other is Mesh! Their Sunday brunch isn't bad, but you have to scream during dinner!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:09 am

Also known as a list of "Places I Won't Eat More Than Once."
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:11 am

Adam Robinson wrote:Also known as a list of "Places I Won't Eat More Than Once."

+1
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Tracy Bird

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:03 pm

Somewhere between J-town and Fern Creek.

by Tracy Bird » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:08 pm

A friend and I went to Wild Rita's and enjoyed the food, drinks,and thought the place looked great. It was also extremely, uncomfortably loud.
no avatar
User

Paul T Carney

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 08, 2007 12:08 pm

by Paul T Carney » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:25 pm

Totally, thoroughly done, done, done with loud restaurants. Silver Dollar, Mesh, Wild Rita's . . . too many places are et up with noise! I don't mind bustling, I'm okay wit talky (except that one loud laugher late at night) . . . but do you really want to run us out as fast as possible.
Geesh . . .
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
– Terry Pratchett
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Is there still a Hard Rock on 4th St. Live? I haven't been down there in years. We ate their once and found it to be oppressively loud. The volume at Silver Dollar never bothered me at all, though.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Tracy Bird wrote:...Wild Rita's...

This is the first place that came to mind when I saw the thread title.

The space was quite a bit worse, though, in its former life as Mozz. Normally, you could scream across the table and be heard. However, when the live music was in session, there was no chance of communicating with your tablemates short of hand signals. The singer was excellent, just over-amplified. I see her now at Volare.
no avatar
User

Adam D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 am

by Adam D » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:48 pm

Game was the loudest meal I've ever had. Also maybe the hottest. It had to be 85 that day and theg just had the windows open. That mixed w the innumerable bodies standing around waiting for a table (mostly huddled around our table) made for a miserable meal.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:49 am

I REALLY don't like loud venues. That's the reason I've only had one meal at Basa. It's also the reason I've stayed away from LouVino and Silver Dollar. With the latter, it's a twofer because to me the only thing worse than loud music, is loud country music. That's a deal breaker.
I'm a bit worried about Mesh, because I'm going Sunday for a friend's birthday.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:54 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:I'm a bit worried about Mesh, because I'm going Sunday for a friend's birthday.

Let us know what you discern, Steve! When we went to Mesh for a week-night dinner, we thought it was loud but not in the top-tier of local screaming venues. We also had one nearby party in particular that had no concept of "indoor voice," so we thought the problem might have been individual rather than systemic.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:00 am

Robin Garr wrote:When we went to Mesh for a week-night dinner, we thought it was loud but not in the top-tier of local screaming venues. We also had one nearby party in particular that had no concept of "indoor voice," so we thought the problem might have been individual rather than systemic.

That was pretty much our opinion of the noise level when we were there also. We were there at a similar time as you were and the noise level was loud but acceptable, fortunately we didn't have a nearby party with the problem that you did. It was still louder than I would prefer but not something that would prevent us from going again.

However, friends of ours went on a Saturday evening and said the noise level of ridiculous! Not sure if that something normal on weekends or like they were there with just rather loud for some reason. In general they have pretty close to the same opinion about noise levels as we do.
Last edited by Mark R. on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Will do, Robin. Here's to hoping a more sedate crowd will be dining on a Sunday night. Oh, and despite it being a 50th birthday celebration, we'll do our best to use our indoor voices.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:... despite it being a 50th birthday celebration, we'll do our best to use our indoor voices.

:lol:

Happy birthday to you, or to whoever in your party is crossing the mid-century mark, Steve!
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks for the wishes, Robin. I passed my mark in January and I had a great gathering/meal at Habana Blues. I gotta get back for that Beef Wellington! This one is for the next one up in my circle of friends.
Next