Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Which breakfast restaurant do you prefer?

America the Diner
4%
Bread and Breakfast
2%
Con Huevos
10%
Eggs over Frankfort
4%
1st watch
6%
Highland Morning
2%
Super Chef
2%
Toast on Market
4%
Verbena
8%
Wild Eggs
29%
Zegg'z
4%
Other
24%

Total votes : 49
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Breakfast Restaurants

by Mark R. » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Now that we seem to be having a plethora of restaurants that specialize in breakfast I'm just wanting what everybody else's opinion is about them. That I know of we have some local ones, Eggs Over Frankfort, Highland Morning, Verbena and Con Huevos and to a lesser degree Super Chef and ATD although I'm sure there are others. We then have 2 that want to become major chains, Wild Eggs and Zeggs (1 location now with 2 others coming soon and plans for many more). And last but not least we have one that already is a large chain, 1st Watch. I realize there are also some others that have excellent breakfast choices but are not primarily a breakfast restaurant so I haven't included those in this group.

I've been to all of them except Con Huevos, several them multiple times and I really think that each one brings something different to the table. They certainly vary in menu choices and atmosphere, the only thing they all have in common is that the majority of them close in the middle of the afternoon! I certainly wish they would stay open later because I know many people like to have breakfast for dinner.

In addition to voting for which one you like the best please give some feedback on why you prefer your choice!
Last edited by Mark R. on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Breakfast Restaurants

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:00 pm

I like Con Huevos for a bunch of reasons. It's close to me. It's Mexican. They don't use industrial eggs. And it's run by very friendly, kind people. A lot of the others listed are good, too, and qualify on most of those points. But I think Con Huevos is the only one using exclusively Kentucky Proud meats and pastured eggs. That matters to me.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I like Con Huevos for a bunch of reasons. It's close to me. It's Mexican. They don't use industrial eggs. And it's run by very friendly, kind people. A lot of the others listed are good, too, and qualify on most of those points. But I think Con Huevos is the only one using exclusively Kentucky Proud meats and pastured eggs. That matters to me.

Robin, is there a way for someone like me to verify whether or not an establishment uses pastured eggs? Do they normally display that on the menu (I know that some restaurants do that)? Can you ask, and if you ask would you expect to get an honest answer? We avoid industrial eggs whenever possible. We are not 100% perfect on that but are getting closer to that goal.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Mike D wrote:Robin, is there a way for someone like me to verify whether or not an establishment uses pastured eggs? Do they normally display that on the menu (I know that some restaurants do that)? Can you ask, and if you ask would you expect to get an honest answer? We avoid industrial eggs whenever possible. We are not 100% perfect on that but are getting closer to that goal.

Mike, I just ask, and then I weigh the answer through my intuition and the other things I see and hear, and usually feel comfortable with the result. :mrgreen: Frankly, I've asked at most of these places - icluding Eggs Over Frankfort, which I do like for its homey style - and they're pretty good about being honest. (And usually follow up by saying "We'd like to, but it's just too expensive." And that is a difficult dilemma with local, farm-raised products in general. :(
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:58 pm

While I can't make a choice in the poll as I have only been to a couple of the places on the list, I want to put in a plug for Super Chefs, my former Daughter in Law Stephanie joined the staff there in the past month or so and she is very very happy. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:32 am

BevP wrote:While I can't make a choice in the poll as I have only been to a couple of the places on the list, I want to put in a plug for Super Chefs, my former Daughter in Law Stephanie joined the staff there in the past month or so and she is very very happy. :)

Yay! "Happy" is good. And Darnell and his crew are good people. Congrats to Stephanie, Bev!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:24 am

BevP wrote:While I can't make a choice in the poll as I have only been to a couple of the places on the list ...

PS: It's still legit to vote for your favorite, Bev. You don't have to go to them all to be qualified to vote! :)
User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm

The Burbs

by Patrick Kelting » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Twig & Leaf?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:02 pm

Put me down for Con Huevos. I'm not really a fan of breakfast food, but I will make an exception for those guys.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:31 pm

No Toast?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Charles W. wrote:No Toast?

That's a pretty serious omission! Let me see if my Awesome Powers as moderator will let me tweak Mark's poll. :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:46 pm

Aw. crap! :evil:

I messed it up. I'm sorry, Mark. I tried to edit because someone noticed that Toast was left out, and I realized then that Bread and Breakfast was left out, too. So I got smart and thought I could edit the thing, and while I was at it, allowed people to cast TWO ballots.

This all seemed good, but what I did NOT know was that this edit erased all the prior votes. AIEEEE!

But we can recover, if folks will go back and re-vote ... and you can take two choices this time!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:59 pm

There you go letting all that administrative power get to your head Robin!! :lol:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Mark R. wrote:There you go letting all that administrative power get to your head Robin!! :lol:

"Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:09 am

Serious question RE: Highland Morning. Has the service improved any since they expanded? I went all the time when they first opened, but when it became waiting an hour for hash browns and not getting coffee refills--plus that one rude episode that happened to my wife that I've written about here before--I got sick of it and started going to North End Café instead. Has it gotten better? Is it worth a re-visit next time I'm in the mood? I never had complaints about the grub, just got some awful service there on more than one occasion.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Next