Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

America. The Diner. Funky, fun and open almost 24 hours

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:29 pm

America. The Diner. Funky, fun and open almost 24 hours

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

America The Diner's hamburger

Today let us celebrate the noble hamburger, an iconic confection that's easier to eat than it is to research.

Aka "hamburg steak," this ubiquitous ground-meat patty on a bun has been known by that name only since around the 1890s, the usually reliable Online Etymology Dictionary tells us. The hamburger's historic connection to Hamburg, Germany, is also asserted but unproven, but that's not important right now.

What is important right now is good eats, and a well-made hamburger certainly qualifies. A great burger is a thing of beauty. Made of coarsely-ground, quality beef, handled with the kind of tender care that you'd bring to bathing an infant, and cooked to a bright-pink medium rare (something you should never do with an infant), a fine burger can provide as much pleasure as a good steak.

I'm prepared to nominate America the Diner's burger as one of the city's best. Its thoughtful blend of ground beef, brisket and skirt steak from Fox Hollow Farm is beyond reproach.

The $9 "Signature Burger" is built on a rich eggy bun from Nord's bakery, buttered and grilled before becoming the base for a hefty, juicy patty that's almost charred on the margins, still hot-pink inside. Dressed with blue cheese crumbles, a thick slice of juicy fresh tomato and a handful of Grateful Greens' colorful "wildfire" lettuce mix, it's first-rate.

That being said, however, I had just fashioned these lines when this scary headline from AlterNet flashed across my newsfeed: "Why You Really Might Want to Go with a Having a Veggie Burger Instead."

Whaaa? ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5364

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/09/americ ... -24-hours/

America. The Diner.
962 Baxter Ave
822-1282
https://www.facebook.com/pages/America- ... 0646731352
Robin Garr's rating: 86 points
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: America. The Diner. Funky, fun and open almost 24 hours

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:19 pm

LOL AlterNet. The Left's equivalent to Alex Jones' InfoWars on the right, with all of the credibility and none of the crazy fun.

Back to the issue at hand: I gotta try that burger!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:03 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Back to the issue at hand: I gotta try that burger!

We were there last week and I thoroughly agree with Robin that the burger is pretty fantastic! Actually the onion rings I had with it are also among the best in town. My wife had the meatloaf with a side of fries and a salad. The meatloaf was almost as good as hers (her quote)! The salad was very nice and dressing was fantastic (all dressings are made in house). Definitely a place to put on the "list".
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:02 am

Robin- I'm a bit unclear, do you suggest serving infants medium or medium well?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:41 am

GaryF wrote:Robin- I'm a bit unclear, do you suggest serving infants medium or medium well?

We don't bathe burgers or eat infants, Gary. For your penance, go diagram the subject sentence. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:16 am

I get the "funky" part. But you may have spoken too soon on the "fun" part. "The fare is going to be variable" "profoundly disappointed" "pretty good" "little disappointing" don't sound like fun to me. I was expecting to read about waiters coming over with clapped hands to sing happy birthday, perhaps a Chuck E Signatureburger guy appearing on the top and bottom of the hour, waitresses on roller skates, or a mechanical Fozi hitting a jukebox and saying "eeehhhh"--now that would all be some fun stuff!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:05 am

James Natsis wrote: a mechanical Fozi hitting a jukebox and saying "eeehhhh"--now that would all be some fun stuff!

Oooh! I'd love that! :mrgreen: The Chucky Cheez part, not so much ...
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Just returned from the place, don't plan on going back anytime soon.

A sat with my young daughter and first asked about the size of the Signature burger, as I heard that they were big. The waitress said they were a half pound. It was midday, my kid isn't a huge eater, so I said that we'd split one. She didn't seem pleased. Anyway, the bun was excellent and the taste of the meat was very good (as were the tots), but....

1. There is approximately a 0.0% chance that it was a half pound. Rather, it was one of the thinnest burgers that I've ever had, looking like a standard 1/4. I'm not necessarily big on thick burgers, but she said what she said so I ordered accordingly. We split it, but could've used another. Since it took over 20 minutes to get this one, I chose to pass.

2. Robin wrote that his was "hot pink" on the inside? Not mine -- overcooked to my tastes, though the waitress didn't ask for a temp, so maybe that is just how they do it.

3. I asked for no pickles. Request granted, but the onions and creole aioli (the latter asked to be put on the side) were also left off the burger. What did the waitress say when I told her? Never had the chance, as she didn't return to our table until she was ready to hand us the check. Folding napkins at the bar, it seems, was more important than checking on the customer's well being.

We were going to return for breakfast this week, but I've decided to pass on ATD. With have local morning options like Con Huevos and Highland Morning that serve good food AND have friendly staff, I like to give my money to those who are doing things right. Maybe in a few months.....
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:29 pm

SilvioM wrote:Just returned from the place, don't plan on going back anytime soon.

I'm sorry you were disappointed, Silvio. :( Thanks for a detailed review though. You've spelled out the specific issues that bothered you, and they sound solid. I can't blame you for deciding not to hurry your return visit. I do hope it was a "bad day," though, rather than a quick slide. I can only say they were better than that during our three visits (one of which did not include me, just my wife and a friend).
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:48 pm

I may have been too hard, but the frustrating fact of it is that all of my issues could have been easily addressed with even moderately attentive service, all at a time in which there were only a few other tables seated in the place.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:57 pm

SilvioM wrote:I may have been too hard, but the frustrating fact of it is that all of my issues could have been easily addressed with even moderately attentive service, all at a time in which there were only a few other tables seated in the place.

As I said, your review was not a rant. It was reasoned, and supported with specifics. That makes a much more reasonable statement that deserves respect. I just hope it was a bad day, though! :)