Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

50 Things to Eat in Louisville before You Die!

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:44 pm

I ran across this on Facebook a little while ago and thought I'd post it here see what everybody's opinion of it is. https://www.thrillist.com/eat/louisville/louisville-s-best-food-50-things-to-eat-before-you-die Many of them are are certainly very deserving but some others are.... Questionable? And there are some that differently should be there that are missing!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: 50 Things to Eat in Louisville before You Die!

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:52 pm

I don't mean to jump on you, Mark. Keep on posting! But that said, I personally get really tired of all these "clickbait" sites that pay some poor sap of a free-lancer minimum wage or less to crank out junk stories with little thought and less research. Thrillist is one that I generally avoid; Movoto, Distractify, Eater, on and on and on it goes, all trying to get clicks on cheap ads by putting up low-quality content that's ground out like cheap hamburger. Aarrrrggggghhhh. :oops:

Again, no hatin' on you, Mark. I appreciate yours and all posts. But man, is the Internet getting dumber and dumber, or what? Aarrrrggggghhhh. :oops:

PS: I don't know if this rates as a confession, but when Thrillist first came out, Thrillist got both Dana McMahan and me to do a couple of Derby pieces for them as a public service. I worked pretty hard to make something decent, and I know Dana did too. Then they approached each of us about writing for them regularly for pay. We both, independently and individually, looked at the numbers and went "HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!"

But some writers are hungry enough to take on a losing proposition, and as long as there are naive and hungry free-lancers, that's how clickbaiters make their numbers work.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:56 pm

I certainly agree with you Robin but I posted it because it was so funny and actually another one they have up is worse, this one: https://www.thrillist.com/eat/louisville/louisville-s-most-important-restaurants, the 14 most important restaurants in Louisville which is really hysterical.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:00 pm

Reinforcing, Mark, I don't object AT ALL to you or others posting. We can always look at them, evaluate them, laugh or take notes depending on the individual case.

Those clickbaiters to get my blood pressure pumping, though! :evil: At least Thrillist didn't make us click to a separate page for each of the ten! Or maybe to two or three pages for each of the ten. I've actually seen that.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Those clickbaiters to get my blood pressure pumping, though! :evil: At least Thrillist didn't make us click to a separate page for each of the ten! Or maybe to two or three pages for each of the ten. I've actually seen that.

Ones like that I quit looking at after about the 2nd page! :wink: They are not worth my time.

no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:54 am

I have to say, the restaurant I work at made the list for something I'd hardly consider needing to eat before I die, especially when you compare it to all the other amazing things we whip up on the daily. When I discovered this (I didn't read the article but someone told me), I knew it was bs!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:42 pm

meghan.levins wrote:the restaurant I work at

Would you be comfortable telling us where you work, Meghan? Not to pry, but since this is a foodie community, it's fun to know where our online pals are so we can yell "Yo" when we eat there. :)
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

by meghan.levins » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:13 pm

I am the sous chef at 211 Clover Lane up in St. Matthews (for now!) Our feature was the pot de creme. This has been a staple of the original menu that we couldn't even entertain the idea of taking off, though our menu more or less changes daily. I fully encourage name dropping, I love having a connection to our guests!
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:44 pm

meghan.levins wrote:I fully encourage name dropping, I love having a connection to our guests!

Congratulations on your gig at 211 Clover, it's certainly one of the many fine dining restaurants in Louisville and one we enjoy going to. Those of us who really enjoy dining also love to have connections to those in BOH positions, it comes in handy sometimes! :wink:

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Oh! Thanks for sharing, Meghan. I like 211 a lot. It's one of those places I wish I could go to more, but the food critic's life means always something new! Until one day after years pass, a re-visit seems justified. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:19 pm

meghan.levins wrote:Our feature was the pot de creme.

It is pretty damn good.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

by meghan.levins » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:36 am

Thanks y'all! Robin, I think it's especially worth a revisit now that there is a new head chef. It hasn't escaped my notice that it doesn't fall under your list of reviews :shock: And yes, the pot de creme is pretty damn good, I make approximately 75 a week for this tiny restaurant! I like to be a double threat in the kitchen though, so I try to make some pretty awesome desserts to compliment our menu staples.
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:54 pm

meghan.levins wrote: And yes, the pot de creme is pretty damn good, I make approximately 75 a week for this tiny restaurant!

I did a short stint there several years ago under the previous chef. Made my fair share of those things too. Used to have a devil of a time with that crappy little oven back there too.

My two cents on the list: Some of the things on there were, "I absolutely must try that." Others were, "Meh." Ultimately I think while there are certain things that are "signature" items, to reduce an establishment's menu as well as a chef's hard work developing it into one or two items is a disservice to the hard work we do. To say that I want to go someplace to try one specific thing is fine, but be open to returning to sample something else. Just because we might become known for a specific thing doesn't mean that it is our favorite thing on the menu.
Alejandro Magallanez
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

by GriffinPaulin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Thrillist is not even worth the bait, they are frequently misinformed, and their "best of" selections are more often than not comical.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:26 pm

What Griffin said.