Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

HopCat

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

HopCat

by SilvioM » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:26 pm

Joining Mellow Mushroom and Stout, another new mini-chain is opening a location on Bardstown Road, this in the Spindletop Draperies location sometime next year. Like the nearby MM, it will be a two-story building, newly built, I believe. http://hopcat.com/
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: HopCat

by Rich S » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:08 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. I've never been to HopCat, but their locations typically have more than 100 beers on tap. According to the website, they're planning one in Lexington as well.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:11 pm

Rich S wrote:I'm really looking forward to this. I've never been to HopCat, but their locations typically have more than 100 beers on tap. According to the website, they're planning one in Lexington as well.

Yep. I'm willing to make an exception to my "no chains" rule for "100 beers on tap." :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:19 pm

Looks like a good fit for the Highlands.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:18 am

I stopped in there last week for a tour just as they were preparing to open one morning. It was a bit too early to eat, but I was able to slowly work my way through the entire place.

Let's just say that these folks knew what they were doing and weren't afraid to spend some money doing it. The place is totally "Highlands cool" but with a nice touch of class dare I say. It is built so nicely with good design and art--I was very impressed. They also carry about 120 bourbons in addition to their massive craft beer selection. They offer a bloody mary bar for their Sunday brunch. In addition, their sandwiches are half price during much of the week (M-TH) from 2 (or 3) - 5. The sandwiches with fries are already priced reasonably, but half price? You're talking about 5 bucks!

Parking issues aside, the place is definately a jewel in the Highlands crown. I'll be back with the wife.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Unfortunately, the food is pretty much just average. What I had anyway on the one time I have been. Doesn't even come close to comparing to Holy Grail.

Amazing beer selection and a nice environment. I will go back for that and the food is not offensive, just nothing special.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:30 am

The loaded crack fries are really good.

The burger I was fine. But the fries were outstanding.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:22 am

Chris M wrote:The loaded crack fries are really good.

The burger I was fine. But the fries were outstanding.

We had them also, they were good. Everything was okay, just not anything special in my opinion. I was thinking the food would be more inventive than it was. Gordon Biersch, for example, has better food in my opinion.