Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Asiatique OMG!

no avatar
User

Jason H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Asiatique OMG!

by Jason H » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:18 pm

I remember dining at this (formerly) fine establishment for the first time 7 years ago. I needed reservations to get a table and the vibe of the restaurant was a cool modern take on traditional Asian food. The experience over all was wonderful. The restaurant was full of guests and the atmosphere was cool and laid back, especially with the lounge area. Service was excellent and the food was exciting.

I have dined there many times since but each visit has been further and further apart.

I remember trying the Sunday brunch once, but the over all feeling of the brunch was awkward. I feel Asiatique was originally an upscale casual restaurant, but when dining for brunch the menu and service was basic. I felt there was no reason to return for a brunch.

My most recent dining experience was just shocking. I am not talking about the food either. I mean from the lack of guests to the worn out looking building to that awful smell in the restroom and bar area.

I dined on the patio on 8/28/15 around 6:15 pm. There was only one table outside and it was a group of three ladies who were not eating. Inside only one table was sat and the bar area was empty. It looked as if any minute a dust ball could roll by on a Friday night during prime business hours. I could hear the crows circling overhead.

So, first of all there are things in need of repair. As I said before I was dining outside. On the patio above the door there is a broken light and I mean busted, dented, and cracked. Also there are 3 curved bars that cross the top (perhaps for a covering), but on of them is bent the wrong was. Also many brooms,squeegees, amongst other things lined up by the back wall out in front of guests.

The worst thing is the smell of sewage. Of course once my girlfriend and I noticed the awful smell (which is inside by the bar and restroom areas) we looked up recent reviews. Many people have complained about the smell. According to reviews people have been told that it is the sewer under the restaurant and MSD is responsible for the issue. I work out at Highland fitness, shop at Better Days Records, and occasionally buy beer at the mart next door and have never noticed that smell anywhere else. It is terrible. Had we noticed the smell immediately or ate inside, I would have just walked out.

If I had to guess is that Asiatique has owners who do not have the funds to fix much needed repairs. Perhaps they have given up. The experience I had there even just 3 years ago was still solid. The word is out (probably about the smell) and now I don't think people will flock to Asiatique now.

As far as my food goes, I had the wok with shrimp and scallops and my girlfriend had the wok with salmon. The food was decent. Too much sauce on both entrees, but other than that, it was good. However, our server was new (not shocking with the lack of guests) and was a low talker so it was hard to hear her. It was funny that the soup of the day (sweet potato and Parmesan) was already 86'd at 6:15 with nobody there.

I am honestly just wanting to see what was once a great dining experience to bounce back. You must put money into your restaurant to make money. Most importantly get rid of the awful smell. I assume the troubles are financial in which case it may be time to throw in the towel or call one of those restaurant rescue shows in to save the day. The picture of Anthony Bourdain that adorns the entrance wall really means little at this point if the owners are not willing to fight for there business.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

Re: Asiatique OMG!

by Jerry C » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:10 am

Sounds like things have continued downhill since my first visit several years ago...here is that review:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12985

Some responded back then that they should not be judged on their brunch. I say, if they are open, they need to put their best effort on the table.

Sounds like they may be "toast"?
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

by GriffinPaulin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:31 am

I will happily video anybody who has the balls to suggest to chef looi that he call a restaurant rescue show. Viral.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:21 am

GriffinPaulin wrote:I will happily video anybody who has the balls to suggest to chef looi that he call a restaurant rescue show. Viral.

I would agree.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:52 pm

I will happily video anybody who has the balls to suggest to chef looi that he call a restaurant rescue show. Viral.

I would suggest that "anybody" is not necessarily suggesting that a "rescue restaurant show" be called, but maybe chef looi is Inadvertently doing that by letting the standards slip.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Welllll... Maybe, maybe not. Does chef Looi own the property or rent it? That would/could make a big difference in the building maintenance . Perhaps a really rotten landlord is at the root of their biggest problems.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:40 am

I'd be interested to hear an update if anyone dines there in the next couple months. I've only had good experiences there although I have also noticed that it is strangely empty at times.

FWIW, I ate a another regular spot of mine on a day when there was a disturbing smell hovering around the bathroom area. Turns out that there was an MSD problem in the area that day.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Paul S wrote:FWIW, I ate a another regular spot of mine on a day when there was a disturbing smell hovering around the bathroom area. Turns out that there was an MSD problem in the area that day.

I had a really embarrassing experience once when I came in to a nice little hole-in-the-wall taqueria one Friday morning. When I inquired about the aroma, I was laughingly reminded (Gringo!) that Friday is menudo-making day! :lol: