Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ hates the entrees at Dundee, gives 3 stars anyway

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:30 pm

The CJ's Dundee Gastropub review trashes entrees so harshly that 3 stars seems like a mercy rating.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /32396415/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: CJ hates the entrees at Dundee, gives 3 stars anyway

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:07 pm

By the way, what did you guys think of this?

Save your complaints that I’m being overly harsh about our two entrées, and don’t bother emailing me to say we should have selected less demanding dishes. If they’re not meant to be ordered, they shouldn’t be on the menu.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Sounds like the critic does not like criticism. :roll:

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen...
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:06 pm

I absolutely love the pork and greens dish. I'll happily take it off her hands next time.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:07 pm

It "was under-endowed with taste?" Why does this give me visions of someone with a thesaurus furiously searching for another way to say lacking in flavor?
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:By the way, what did you guys think of this?

Save your complaints that I’m being overly harsh about our two entrées, and don’t bother emailing me to say we should have selected less demanding dishes. If they’re not meant to be ordered, they shouldn’t be on the menu.

Defensive, but... I agree. She was criticized in her Rumor's review for ordering the "wrong" items on the menu, so perhaps that is where that came from. I more or less agree and at a place like Dundee, which is not known for any particular specialty, anything should certainly be fair game.

I couldn't read the review -- will pick up the CJ weekend freebie later today. But, I have not been impressed with the food. It certainly isn't a three star place.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:20 pm

SilvioM wrote:I couldn't read the review

Does your browser have "incognito mode"? 8) :wink: :oops:
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:59 pm

My short review:

I've been there once.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Three is about right, not more or less from our multiple experiences. Last meal was last month. We shared feta balls, then I had the country chicken carbonera and my wife had the chicken & waffles. My wife liked hers a lot and my main complaint is mine was too good. Seriously. I'm pretty good about stopping when I'm full rather than finishing portions that are just insane, as any foreign visitor can probably attest. But I just couldn't stop as it was the food equivalent of crack. My middle was miserable at the end but my mouth was delirious. So my ding is make the portions smaller or make it less good so I can stop.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:05 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:Three is about right, not more or less from our multiple experiences.

Lonnie, personally I agree. I reviewed it last spring and gave an 84, which would map to a solid three stars. My point, though, was that the CJ's writer used surprisingly strong language to condemn both entrees, declared that she didn't want to hear any complaints about it, and then still gave 'em three stars. The stars didn't seem to match her opinion.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:13 am

Oh, yeah, I've noticed that as well on more reviews than this one. I bet most people will agree that's been the case quite a few times.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:05 am

Nancy Miller --yeah, that's her name for those of us who only know her as the "bad reviewer" at the C-J, did a nice piece on Louis le Français earlier this week. This guy deserves a shout out for the dedication he has shown to the art of cooking.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/li ... /32321069/
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:10 am

Thanks for the reading tip.

Yes, if three stars means "very good" as indicated and the entrees (main courses, after all) were clearly bad, in her view, it doesn't add up. Is it because she's "okay" with the concept and "glad" things are on the menu even when she doesn't like them? Weird. More than anything, though, she writes a lot or words without saying anything of substance at all.

Anyway, based on the stars, I'd go for two, which is "fair" by their measure. I'd eat there in a pinch, or have some apps and beer if I wanted to watch a game on their great screens, but it isn't a destination for the food, imho.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:43 am

James Natsis wrote: did a nice piece on Louis le Français earlier this week. This guy deserves a shout out for the dedication he has shown to the art of cooking.

True, James! We've enjoyed Louis le Français on several visits, and I am happy to see him get a little positive ink.

That said, I can't help visualize the Bingams, père et fils, are spinning rapidly in their graves at the idea of the newspaper's designated restaurant critic (1) doing face-to-face interviews with restaurateurs who she may later review; and (2) having previously "done PR" for local restaurants that she may review. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Gannett Corp. has completely abandoned the idea of anonymous/low profile reviewing, but it still makes me sad.