Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

River House "unveil" set for tomorrow

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:09 pm

I'm going to be honest, I'm jaded. I'll pass on the press conference and let the bloggers breathlessly cover it like 1930s reporters from The Front Page. :mrgreen: I'll share the details here when they send the press release.

PRESS CONFERENCE TO ANNOUNCE A NEW RIVERFRONT RESTAURANT AND REVEAL THE CHEF BEHIND IT

WHO/ WHAT: A press conference will be held to announce the start of construction on a major new riverfront dining option in Louisville named River House. The owner/chef behind the project will also be revealed and they will speak about their vision.

WHERE: 3015 River Road, 40207 (next to Kingfish restaurant)

WHEN: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 10:00am

A press release with more details will be distributed following the press conference. For more information, follow along at Facebook.com/RiverHouseLou and @RiverHouseLou on Twitter.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: River House "unveil" set for tomorrow

by Mark R. » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:00 pm

I think that address is the old boatyard that used be right next to the KingFish. I wonder if the chef is somebody local or somebody new to the area? No matter what I hope they have great seafood.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:45 pm

Mark R. wrote:I think that address is the old boatyard that used be right next to the KingFish.

The one that used to advertise "Toys for Men"? :mrgreen:

I guess we'll find out more tomorrow. I'm sorry, but I don't have time to troop down to a news conference, though. It'll keep.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark R. wrote:I think that address is the old boatyard that used be right next to the KingFish.

The one that used to advertise "Toys for Men"? :mrgreen:

toys for men is Marine Sales and SErvice. It is the site of Falls City Boat on the other side of Kingfish.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Based on the location, some information on their FB page, and a conversation I had with someone a while back I think I know who it is. I guess we'll see if I'm right tomorrow. Even if I'm wrong, a restaurant with a river view on this side of the river closer than CQ can't be a bad thing.
Alejandro Magallanez
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:51 pm

alejandro.magallanez wrote:... a restaurant with a river view on this side of the river closer than CQ can't be a bad thing.

I don't imagine Captains Quarters will be excited, but yes, when I looked at the Facebook page and the pictures, that's the first thing I thought: "They want to make another Captains Quarters, but closer to town."
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:25 pm

I have been told it is John Varanese.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:12 pm

AmyBK wrote:I have been told it is John Varanese.

Speaking purely hypothetically, bringing his background at Azalea and then Varanese, John would be a good fit with a CQ look-alike.
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:30 am

Robin Garr wrote:
AmyBK wrote:I have been told it is John Varanese.

Speaking purely hypothetically, bringing his background at Azalea and then Varanese, John would be a good fit with a CQ look-alike.

Just saw the announcement on FB. Looks like all our speculation is correct. It is indeed John Varanese. Can't wait to see the menu.
Alejandro Magallanez
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:33 am

alejandro.magallanez wrote:Just saw the announcement on FB. Looks like all our speculation is correct. It is indeed John Varanese. Can't wait to see the menu.

Yep:

River House wrote:The secret is out! John Varanese is the Chef behind Louisville's premier riverfront dining experience opening in the first quarter of 2016.

I hope they seek to find its own niche and not just create a CQ clone, not that such would necessarily be a bad thing.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:37 am

Here's the news release:

The Chef and Owner of Varanese Restaurant on Frankfort Avenue today announced the start of construction on a new major project. The opening of his new restaurant, River House, will fulfill John Varanese's ultimate dream of opening a riverfront dining option in Louisville. His long awaited vision will finally come to fruition when River House opens in the first quarter of 2016 as Louisville's premier riverfront dining destination.

Construction begins this week on the 27,000 sq. ft. space located at 3015 River Road, which was formerly used for boat storage. John first signed an intent to lease the building in 2001, and went as far as getting architectural renderings for his concept in 2004. But, despite his best efforts to push the project forward, the timing was not right. John had not yet proven himself as a business owner in Louisville, and the down economy was working against him.

As a result of these setbacks, John realized he needed to scale back his plans, thus creating his namesake on Frankfort Avenue. Even while working for 8 years to make Varanese successful and unique, John was never able to let go of his original grandiose dream, and he kept close watch on the property at 3015 River Road to ensure it was still available.

Fast forward fifteen years, John has a strong reputation in the local community and the support of a few investors. River House will give guests the sense of a charming "house like" feel when they arrive at the front entryway featuring an indoor waterwall (a signature element at Varanese restaurant as well), then proceed into the main dining area with a floor-to-ceiling glass wall overlooking the back courtyard and riverfront. Seating will also extend onto the back courtyard overlooking the river, providing options for both upscale casual diners and the boating community.

The menu will feature regional cuisine with Southern flair and an emphasis on seafood with a raw bar. The restaurant will be open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner, and approximately 150 jobs will be created to staff the operation. The contractor for the project is Brasch Constructors, and the total project cost is approximately $4 million.

While River House will encompass 12,000 sq. ft of the building, Chef Varanese has long-term plans to utilize all 27,000 sq. ft of the facility (11,000 sq. ft of which is located on the 2
nd floor), and those plans will be announced as they are finalized down the road.

For more information, follow along at Facebook.com/RiverHouseLou and @RiverHouseLou on Twitter.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:24 pm

Chef's been working on this one for years. It's his dream Restaurant- the golden ring.

He doesn't drop the ball, ever. Expect this to be more of the same- just monolithic in size. Creative food and drink in a relaxed environment with great hospitality.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:29 pm

Stephen D wrote:Chef's been working on this one for years. It's his dream Restaurant- the golden ring.

He doesn't drop the ball, ever. Expect this to be more of the same- just monolithic in size. Creative food and drink in a relaxed environment with great hospitality.

All true. I'm still wondering how much it will tap the same well as CQ, though, and whether there is enough of a market so that both can thrive, or if one will draw down the other. This is an entirely separate question, and doesn't take away at all from anything you just said. ;)
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Stephen D wrote:Chef's been working on this one for years. It's his dream Restaurant- the golden ring.

All true. I'm still wondering how much it will tap the same well as CQ, though, and whether there is enough of a market so that both can thrive, or if one will draw down the other. This is an entirely separate question, and doesn't take away at all from anything you just said. ;)

I don't think the drain will be so much on the CQ demographic (the River Rats.) Kingfish has a problem, though. In the short-term, my Restaurant has a problem, although we'll be two different animals.

Another way of putting it- 'Where would you prefer to spend your 33.50? (the average cost of dining out)'
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:02 pm

http://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_ ... ning-2016/

Woohoo! A raw bar. Guess Mr. V missed all the gnashing of teeth here at LHB from all the chefs in the know that said a raw bar wasn't fathomable . :mrgreen:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Next