Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: River House "unveil" set for tomorrow

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:52 pm

Carla G wrote:Woohoo! A raw bar. Guess Mr. V missed all the gnashing of teeth here at LHB from all the chefs in the know that said a raw bar wasn't fathomable . :mrgreen:

Doesn't Jeff Ruby's have a raw bar?
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:25 pm

no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:39 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Carla G wrote:Woohoo! A raw bar. Guess Mr. V missed all the gnashing of teeth here at LHB from all the chefs in the know that said a raw bar wasn't fathomable . :mrgreen:

Doesn't Jeff Ruby's have a raw bar?

Yeah, but who wants to support his business?
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:48 pm

In one of the videos on the news this evening I saw Dean Corbett, I wonder if possibly is one of the backers for this project? Obviously the restaurant is going to have any impact on any of his restaurants and he is a big supporter of the Louisville restaurant community.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:51 am

John Varanese has set a very high bar in Louisville over the last 8 years with the restaurant on Frankfort, there is no argument about that. He brought in his own style, flair and ideals about incredible food to a ever-changing and fickle market! :mrgreen: What makes you think he won't do the same on the river?

Kingfish is, well, Kingfish. Dredged, fried, soggy, boring, dated and overpriced (In my humble, jaded, opinion---you can get better at Captain D's and for less money). CQ is on a rebound, however, it has it's own draw...always had, always will. John is going after something this city has not seen in years...sophistication with a riverfront view, consistently incredible food, a wine list that will draw the biggest wine snob (not a bad thing), and a welcomed addition to waterfront dining!

Well played, John! Well played indeed!

DISCLAIMER: I have been a faithful fan of Varanese since it's inception. It is one of my go-to places in town, and I consider John and his seasoned staff friends. It has a well earned place in my heart and is one place that I take out of town guests in a heartbeat. The wine dinners there are always fun, and the food is consistently excellent. I await the new venue with baited breathe!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
Previous