Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Want a year of fried chicken? Line up at Joella's on Tuesday

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:07 pm

Here are the details, in Tony Palombino's news release. Joella's will open Tuesday in the Frankfort Avenue space near Cannons Lane that has long housed a Boombozz.

JOELLA’S HOT CHICKEN OPENING ON FRANKFORT AVENUE
Free Chicken for a Year for First 100 Customers!

Joella’s Hot Chicken will open at 3400 Frankfort Avenue on Tuesday, Sept, 1, giving away more than $60,000 in free chicken meals to the first 100 adults in line.

A one-year supply of free Joella’s Hot Chicken (52 coupons) will be awarded to each of the first 100 adults, age 18 and older with identification, The line can begin forming up to 24 hours prior to the opening, with the prizes being given away Sept. 1 between 8 and 8:30 a.m.

Joella’s is the newest concept of Louisville restauranteur Tony Palombino, who is also the Founder/CEO of Boombozz Craft Pizza & Taphouse and Manny & Merle on Whiskey Row.

Palombino, an avid fan of Nashville’s classic hot chicken, which takes your traditional Southern fried chicken and gives it “spirit” by adding various spice blends, thought it would be a great menu addition to the Manny & Merle honkytonk theme. “We experimented with several recipes and tested them, and I was amazed how it took off. Hot chicken now represents 35% of our food sales,” Palombino said. With the popularity of the hot chicken at Manny’s, Palombino was inspired to open a stand-alone location featuring the fiery bird.

For those who are not into a “bird that bites back”, Joella’s will serve traditional Southern fried chicken. Whole wings and jumbo-sized tenders will also be offered with the tenders grilled upon request. But for those who seek heat, the all-natural, Kentucky Proud chicken will be offered in five spice levels: , southern, spiked honey, hot, hotter and “fire in da hole” which incorporates the Carolina Reaper pepper recently named as the hottest pepper in the world.

Sides will also be king, with each one made fresh in-house. They include five mac & cheese, sweet- vinegar slaw, garlic fries, kale crunch salad and a southern favorite, black-eyed pea salad. Wood-fired flat sandwiches, house-made desserts will round out the food menu. Another first for Kentucky will be the addition of a Boylan’s fountain soda machine which will dispense small batch carbonated beverages made from pure cane sugar. Flavors include Black Cherry, Ginger Ale, Crème, Root Beer, Cane Cola, Lemon Lime, Birch Beer, Creamy Red Birch Beer and Diet Cola. Local craft beers will be offered by the pint, pitcher or cans.

So who is Joella? “Back in the late 70’s my parents owned a restaurant that specialized in southern fried chicken. The chicken was made daily by two long time employees, Joe and Ms. Ella,” Palombino explained. “Watching how hard they worked every day made a huge impression on me as a young boy, and I wanted to bring them back to life, in spirit, and honor them.”
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Want a year of fried chicken? Line up at Joella's on Tue

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:18 pm

For the record, the new Boombozz in St Matthew's (same block with BBC, Drake's, Mellow Mushroom, Molly's, etc.) replaces the older spot on Frankfort at Cannons, making way for Joelle's.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Can't wait to try this place.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:13 pm

I love HOT :twisted:
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:48 pm

They open tomorrow -- if anyone tries this, please post your thoughts. I'm curious to hear how it is and what the full menu looks like. Their website is still under construction and I could only find a beer list on the FB page.

Looking at some news sites, it appears that the line for free chicken is already forming. Clever idea.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:12 pm

SilvioM wrote:Looking at some news sites, it appears that the line for free chicken is already forming. Clever idea.

cough**Chick fil A**cough
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:16 am

I'd love to know how it compares to Manny and Merle's version.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:01 am

Charles W. wrote:I'd love to know how it compares to Manny and Merle's version.

It should be easy to find out! :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:01 am

Robin Garr wrote:

Adding on ... you know it's the same guy, right? Tony "Boombozz" Palombino runs both operations.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:07 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Adding on ... you know it's the same guy, right? Tony "Boombozz" Palombino runs both operations.

I had forgotten. I'm guessing pretty similar, then.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:10 am

Charles W. wrote:Adding on ... you know it's the same guy, right? Tony "Boombozz" Palombino runs both operations.

I had forgotten. I'm guessing pretty similar, then.[/quote]
Yeah, not only would it be inefficient to use different recipes, but it might raise unwanted questions about why one chef didn't agree with the other. :mrgreen:
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Apparently they weren't actually open yesterday, at least at dinner time. My wife went by to pick up some carry-out and was greeted with a sign saying they were needing some inspections to be completed before the food could be out.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:38 am

Well, I finally got to have my hot chicken (after craving it for months) from Joella's, and I have to admit that I am very impressed by how well Tony and company were able to get the texture and flavor profile down. It was greasy enough that you knew it was hot chicken, and the "fire in the hole" was hot enough to pass for a Medium Bolton's or Hattie B's. Warm, but not firey. (Due to what I can only assume was a communication error, my wife's request for the hottest chicken they have was lost in the hustle and bustle.) For the record, everything but the taste criticism is second-hand information from my wife, a Nashville native who introduced her spice-crazed husband to hot chicken years ago.

Here's a huge advantage Joella's has over traditional hot chicken powers like Prince's or Boltons. 1) it's clean inside; not that Prince's or Bolton's don't pass health inspection, but they look like what they are: run-down chicken shacks in relatively bad neighborhoods. Joella's compares favorably with Hattie B's, a newer hot chicken joint designed to put the customer more at ease. 2) it's very friendly; the staff was super-friendly and helpful, and the manager was apparently on top of everything, making sure the customer experience was as smooth as possible. 3) the wait was relatively short, only about 30 minutes or so, which is about half the time you usually wait for food at Prince's or Bolton's.

She got chicken and waffles, with a side of some delicious spiked honey--a very hot honey dip/syrup. The waffles were fluffy and delicious; the tenders very crispy and a solid 'mild' option. I got the "fire in the hole" white quarter; again, it's about a medium spice level on the Prince's scale, which puts it ahead of, say, Popeye's spicy chicken, but not enough to cause any tears unless you don't wash your hands before going to the bathroom. The presentation was perfect. A crispy, spice-red fried chicken quarter on a piece of white bread with a dill pickle slice toothpicked into the chicken. The sides, a vinegar slaw made with what I think was white wine vinegar and parmesan fries, were also top notch. The slaw was a good cooling element, a little sweeter than usual but in a good contrasting way to the chicken. The parmesan fries were recommended by the girl at the counter and were awesome; very flavorful, salty, and olive oily, but not greasy.

Chicken and waffles, white chicken quarter with two generous sides, and an order of sinfully good Nutella poppers (six deep-fried Nutella-filled nuggets of heaven) with a tip was only $25, which makes it slightly cheaper than its Nashville predecessors. Absolutely no complaints. Next time, I'm going back for the extra-hot.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:39 am

Ron H wrote:Well, I finally got to have my hot chicken (after craving it for months) from Joella's ...

Great review! Thanks, Ron!
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:08 pm

Really want to try this place, but I just saw a photo of the menu board on Facebook. $12 for a half chicken and two sides? Seems pretty pricey to me.
Next