Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Want a year of fried chicken? Line up at Joella's on Tue

by Ron H » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Richard S. wrote:Really want to try this place, but I just saw a photo of the menu board on Facebook. $12 for a half chicken and two sides? Seems pretty pricey to me.

That's about standard for hot chicken places. Hattie B's is 12, Prince's is 11, Bolton's is 12 from what I remember right. It also seems on par with most standard restaurant prices, assuming the chicken doesn't come in a bucket.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:04 pm

I guess I was spoiled by my visit to Yummy Pollo last week. Not hot chicken, but $8.45 for a half chicken and two sides.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:12 am

I went on Sunday. Massive line out the door, but the kitchen did an admirable job keeping up with the demand. The hot chicken is $8.50 for a quarter of dark or white meat, plus two sides. This is a fair price. The sides are large and high quality. I couldn't have eaten those plus an entire half of a chicken. Actually, next time my wife and I will split the half chicken and two sides for $12.00.

I wanted the full experience so I opted for the highest spice level "inferno", and it was very hot. Not the hottest thing I've ever eaten, but very hot nonetheless. I chose the dark meat option and it was moist and flavorful. The heat is very flavorful. Some thought went into this spice blend. The sides are well made and tasty. But, please no more kale salads/slaws/etc. kale is meant to be cooked. A long cooked bitter green is the one thing missing on the menu.

So, overall I was impressed. Not the kind of place I could eat on a regular basis, but I would recommend it to someone looking for hot chicken.
Previous