Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

State Fair Food

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

State Fair Food

by Carla G » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:18 pm

let us know what you had at the State Fair that you loved or hated.
I'm just nosey.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Adam D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 am

Re: State Fair Food

by Adam D » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:23 pm

I haven't been in probably 8 years but I used to always get corn dogs, grilled corn, and pork chop sammichs. Couple of times I got the polish sausage w onions and peppers but remember it being kind of bland.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:51 pm

Whenever we go we always eat at the Kentucky Producers tent. Between porkchops, pulled pork, catfish, corn, ice cream, etc. everybody can always find something that interests them and it's much better food than that provided by the midway type food vendors!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:44 pm

Went on our annual opening day outing I had the usual pork burger, which was better than I remember because it wasn't overcooked and dry, I also had a lemon shake up on the way out, I haven't had one of those in years it was as good as I remember.
no avatar
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:31 am

Totally bummed that Mike Linnig's isn't at the Fair this year. It was a good 20 miles closer to my house it that location. As a vegetarian, my Fair food choices are limited. Suggestions?
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:45 am

Lamb sandwich and pork butt on a stick
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:10 pm

I forgot to mention I purchased 3 meat sticks in the commercial wing for my son to sample, one each , rabbit, camel, and kangaroo. He said he would give them a try at some point , just not sure when.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:24 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Lamb sandwich and pork butt on a stick

Love that butt on a stick!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:51 pm

My jam is the gyro (with extra tzatziki please) and I love the fried veggies with ranch. I'm feeling greasy and unhealthy even as I type this, ha ha! I saw that there is a bourbon, bites, and brews tent which "features Kentucky bourbon, Kentucky themed food and craft beer" I'm interested to check that out!
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:56 am

Pork Butt on a stick is the jam. Nothing finer.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:14 am

Went to the fair on what was a beautiful day Saturday, and with all intentions of enjoying all the state fair favorites I had been missing for so long. Did not happen. Don't even know why. I guess we got caught up in conversation, sights and sounds. We made it over to an indoor food court which was great because there were plenty of chairs and clean tables. My friend got a catfish sandwich and I got a trout sandwich and we shared some tiny hush puppies. All was great! I thought it was all priced reasonably (for the fair) , portions were more than ample, fish was fried simply but tasty. Hush puppies were small enough to be fried quickly and served without the centers being doughy. The only thing I would have changed would have been the bun the sandwiches were served on. They were plain, processed egg buns and did not hold up well with the hot fish. Other than that...
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:56 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:...As a vegetarian, my Fair food choices are limited. Suggestions?

Limited indeed. I paid attention today, though, and here's what I found:

All of these were seen outside in front of Freedom Hall and the West Wing (and assuming the fried items are done so in vegetable oils):

Fried green tomatoes
Fried pickles
Roasted corn on the cob
Fried "taters" (in various forms, but usually marketed as "taters")
Deep fried veggies

Inside the South Wing at the Food Court there is a place offering salads and soups. There is also a Mexican-themed place where you might find some veggie options. I saw beans and rice advertised, but I don't know if they are vegetarian.

Also, in the South Wing I saw bacon-wrapped, deep fried Oreos. :shock: Maybe they could hold the bacon. :)