Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Stout's???

no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

Stout's???

by Steve Kluesner » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Looking for a new burger joint to try in the 'ville today....yeah or nah on Stout's?
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Stout's???

by SilvioM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:48 pm

Yeah. Not a cheap yeah, but an unequivocal yeah.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Good stuff
Will Crawford
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:21 am

Echoing the others. I'd put it roughly on the same level as M&BB and Grind, if not a tiny notch below (higher price, no substitution policy driving it down a tad). It wins best beer list by a mile, however.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:22 pm

I also like their beers, but I wish they had a few cheaper pints. Maybe they transferred their prices from California? Either way, I'll only get one when I'm there due to the markup.

BTW, if you'd like to try their burgers for a cheaper price, all food is 1/2 off on M-F from 4-6, according to their FB page.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:43 pm

SilvioM wrote: ... according to their FB page.

And heeere's the link! :)
https://www.facebook.com/stout.louisville.highlands

I've heard good things about it, although I bring my usual skepticism to it as an out-of-town chain - albeit a small one - whose bean counters want to see some money coming back home over and above what circulates in the retail market. That, too, may help explain the beer pricing.

But by all accounts it's a good chain, and I'll definitely try it. I'm not an anti-chain fundamentalist. I even kind of like Mellow Mushroom. :oops:
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:12 pm

I had considered posting a review on here after eating there on Saturday, so this seems as good a place as any.

First up, place is gorgeous, no getting around it, though I feel sorry for whoever has to keep the copper walls looking on point. We sat down and before the beer order was even placed, we were given a run down that felt pretty customer-confrontational; "the rules"-no substitutions, per "the chef". This is a little too precious for me-a burger joint that has chef imposed rules? Burgers are only cooked two ways, pink or no pink...eh...and then I struck out 3 out of 4 times on choosing a beer from the printed list. I get that the tap handles might not always match, but the beer list should be more or less up to date.

To the food! The burgers are ground in house, which is awesome. They came out perfectly cooked, well presented. Flavor was just ok; patties needed seasoning (of course no salt and pepper anywhere to be found, but I'll save that soap box for another time) and each one we tried (Stout and Imperialist) had at least one too many ingredients to be cohesive, but this is just my opinion. Onion rings are stated on the menu to be beer battered, but they are definitely pre-fab frozen with a weird kind of corn dog flavor to the batter. If you're weird like me and prefer mustard on onion rings, don't bother asking because they don't have mustard.

None of these are big issues on their own, just felt like stumble after stumble of customer vs. restaurant, starting with the opening speech and ending with me being told no a lot :D It's the hospitality industry, you can get away with this preciousness in fine dining, but not at a burger joint.

So this was just my experience to share; I've been in the business a long time, and I can be pretty fussy. Maybe none of these things will bother you! I just predict this is going to be a tough sell over long term for Louisville diners.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks for the review, Meghan. Couldn't ask for more than candid honesty, well expressed. Keep 'em coming!
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:22 am

Wait, no salt and pepper and no mustard at a burger restaurant?

Am I the only person who finds this a bit silly? Perhaps condescending?
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:29 am

meghan.levins wrote:If you're weird like me and prefer mustard on onion rings, don't bother asking because they don't have mustard.

Mustard on onion rings? That sounds really tasty!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:36 am

Stephen D wrote:Mustard on onion rings? That sounds really tasty!

I'm a fan. Ketchup is boring. :mrgreen:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:38 pm

meghan.levins wrote:, don't bother asking because they don't have mustard.

Wait a minute, you mean they don't have any mustard at all in the restaurant? You can't have a burger without some good mustard on it (except for some that have other special toppings)!! Your idea of having mustard on onion rings sounds very good. I've used a mixture of mustard and catch up on onion rings and French fries but never straight mustard. They do have catchup don't they?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Wow I really have no desire to eat at this place after reading this review. I mean all due respect to the chef, don't tell me I'm not allowed to use a condiment if I want one.

Or maybe I'll come in with my own bottle of mustard and just slather it all over everything just to make a point. :lol:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:50 pm

Jason G wrote:Or maybe I'll come in with my own bottle of mustard and just slather it all over everything just to make a point. :lol:

Now I'm imagining you doing mustard graffiti all over the walls and counters. :lol:
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:03 pm

mustard.jpg
mustard.jpg (8.26 KiB) Viewed 3265 times

You need mustard in case you need to leave a note.
Next