Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Does this get a pass because its NYE?

by Leah S » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:22 pm

OK, hubby and I went out to a lovely dinner at a white tablecloth place that I will at least initially decline to name. Here's the scenario: We arrive exactly on time for our reservation. Order three apps to share, one glass of wine, one soft drink for the designated driver, two entrees and a shared dessert. After the entree, our server comes to the table and says, and I quote, "Desserts? We have the table for 15 more minutes."

Coffee wasn't offered, as I suppose he thought we might linger.

Time elapsed from sitting down to "the question" = 1 hour and 15 minutes.

So on NYE, when we all know that restaurants are running back to back reservations all night, is it reasonable to blatantly tell diners their time is up? What's a reasonable amount of time for the number of courses/food we ordered?

Bill was $109 pre tip if that factors in at all.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:39 pm

Gee whiz, I guess El Mundo does not have a corner on the "bum's rush" act. Mayhaps, the restaurant owners will explain their policies on how long you are allowed to have the table when you make your reservation. I would think 90 minutes would be a reasonable amount of time to eat a nice meal, assuming the kitchen was spot on on the timing and the patrons are under orders not to dawdle. New Years Eve, Derby Eve, Christmas Eve - it is really in poor taste to "rush" your guests. It makes me wonder what things are coming to. :?
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:04 am

I wish you'd share with us what restaurant this occurred at. To me it is totally unacceptable to rush a customer like this. If a restaurant has any intention of limiting the time you can "have" the table they should have stated that when the reservation was made, not 15 minutes before they expected you to leave. If it had been us I'm sure the only way we would've left in 15 minutes was if they had comp'd our dinner!

I realize that restaurants schedule tightly on high traffic evenings but they should certainly allow sufficient time for their patrons to enjoy a relaxed dinner. Obviously in this case sufficient time was not allowed in their schedule.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:55 am

"We have the table for 15 more minutes"?
Oh my! Do you know how long I would have sat there if I was told that?
I took quite a few last minute reservations this afternoon and made it clear they had the table for a limited period when they made the booking- but never less than 2 hours.
This concept of telling guests they have to leave is something I never heard of until I moved here- I hope it stops soon.
The one exception I sort of enjoy is The Hourglass Cafe in the theater distric in NY. The minute your order is taken the server turns over an hourglass above your table and that is the hour you have to eat. It works because 1) People want to eat quickly to go see a show and 2) It is a gimmick.
As a policy for a regular restaurant it sucks.
User

Brett Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:33 pm

by Brett Davis » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:27 am

The only way that is appropriate is if they told you there was a 90 minute limit when your reservation was made and you accepted the terms. It does not sound like this is the case. Did you talk to a manager or owner about it? It may be that the server made this her or his policy for the night and the powers that be would be appalled to hear about it.

I actually appreciate the fact you kept the restaurant unnamed. Too many people on this site use the word boycott or state they will not go to a restaurant based upon just one person's side of a story. Very gracious on your part.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:47 am

Brett Davis wrote:I actually appreciate the fact you kept the restaurant unnamed. Too many people on this site use the word boycott or state they will not go to a restaurant based upon just one person's side of a story. Very gracious on your part.

Okay, I don't want to start the New Year argumentatively, but I don't really want this approach to go un-challenged. While I'm delighted to have lots of restaurateurs participating here, and we want to be sensitive to their needs, this forum has no rule against kicking butt and taking names, and I don't consider it inappropriate or ungracious to do so.

If a consumer has an unfortunate experience at a restaurant, the forum is here for them to say so. If a restaurateur has an unfortunate experience with a customer, ditto. I do want to assure that both sides can be heard, but I'm very uncomfortable with any policy that encourages keeping bad news under wraps. Better to hash out issues and try to reach agreement, and the forum is here to facilitate that.

And if somebody comes in here with an agenda, it generally doesn't take the group long to ferret that out ... as a few recent discussions have amply demonstrated.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:50 am

Don't give me too much credit, Brett. I actually have no problem naming the restaurant, but I really wanted to see if others thought I was being too sensitive.

Frankly in the light of the next day, we're actually even more pissed. It didn't exactly ruin the evening, but it certainly put a significant dent in the fun we were having.

And no, there was no mention of a time limit on the table when hubby made the reservation.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:58 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Brett Davis wrote:I actually appreciate the fact you kept the restaurant unnamed. Too many people on this site use the word boycott or state they will not go to a restaurant based upon just one person's side of a story. Very gracious on your part.

Okay, I don't want to start the New Year argumentatively, but I don't really want this approach to go un-challenged. While I'm delighted to have lots of restaurateurs participating here, and we want to be sensitive to their needs, this forum has no rule against kicking butt and taking names, and I don't consider it inappropriate or ungracious to do so.

If a consumer has an unfortunate experience at a restaurant, the forum is here for them to say so. If a restaurateur has an unfortunate experience with a customer, ditto. I do want to assure that both sides can be heard, but I'm very uncomfortable with any policy that encourages keeping bad news under wraps.

if we didn't operate in this fashion we become nothing more than a P.R. machine for the industry. The restaurant owners seem to enjoy it when their establishment is the subject of praise, which is far more often the case on this site. If we had a rule prohibiting criticism or naming a restaurant when being critical, this site would have zero value to me.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:01 pm

Seviche
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:01 pm

Leah s wrote:Don't give me too much credit, Brett. I actually have no problem naming the restaurant, but I really wanted to see if others thought I was being too sensitive.

Frankly in the light of the next day, we're actually even more pissed. It didn't exactly ruin the evening, but it certainly put a significant dent in the fun we were having.

And no, there was no mention of a time limit on the table when hubby made the reservation.

Leah, I think this is acceptable on a night like NYE if the restaurant explains to you up front that this is the case. We used to do two seatings on NYE, and those who reserved for the first seating were told exactly how long they had the table. Then, it was our job to make sure that everyone dining in that seating had their meal paced in a manner that allowed them to get everything they wanted.

To have it sprung on you at the end of your meal is not cool.
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:34 pm

Wow! I'm so surprised. Whitch one? I was at the Highlands and we never were rushed for any tables. Also, The Eastend was never rushed for tables. We actually thought we could have booked a little more. Leah, I wish you would have said something, instead of starting the New Year with a negative post. I can't fix things, if I'm not told at the time. I'm really shocked, because I never heard one complaint last night and we all celebrated how well both restaurants did. Sorry your so "pissed" but then again it is NYE I'm also surprised that you would post this! Come on Leah, why would'nt you have said something to management or asked for me. I'm pissed too!
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Anthony Lamas » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:43 pm

I talked to my managers about this. They told me, that they told all our reservations, that they had another reservation, two hours later. I will find out who the server was and address this. You should never feel rushed! I'm sorry that you had this expereince, Leah. I'm still a little upset that you start the New year with this post. Robin, I like this forum but damm sometimes it's a little much. Once again Leah, It's NYE! Give me a break!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:06 pm

Anthony Lamas wrote:It's NYE!

Happy New Year, Anthony! You guys bat .999 ... and you're darn impressive with jumping on a problem when there is one. Just hold that thought. You're earning your great reputation the old-fashioned way.
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Anthony Lamas » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:17 pm

I hope we make the playoffs! Happy New year to you and your wife aswell! Happy New year to all!
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:20 pm

I am wondering if there isn't some miscommunication happening at Seviche between the hostess or manager (or both) and the servers regarding reservations and table turning?

I love, love that place. However, it is the only restaurant I have ever been to that what happened to Leah happened to me there. Maybe it's the same server? I dunno. I do know the food is great and I love the atmosphere.
Next