Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ's got four stars for Vincenzo's

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:16 am

The CJ reviewer can't find a thing to criticize at Vincenzo's. Four stars. What do you think is the over-under on the reviewer being recognized and given fawning treatment?

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /31157767/
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: CJ's got four stars for Vincenzo's

by Ron Johnson » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:38 am

There is so much wrong with this review (and her previous ones) that it would only be mean-spirited to go through each and every blunder. Ms. Miller seems like a very nice and genuine person who is well-intentioned, but has been given a job for which she is simply not qualified. I presume that there is an editor who monitors there reviews before they are published?

I will always remember that the C-J was once a great newspaper. It is now completely irrelevant. Compare Steve Coomes' coverage of restaurants in Insider Louisville to what the C-J offers from Ms. Miller. It's not even a contest. Andy Wolfson is the last reporter at the C-J doing meaningful and well-written articles. The same is true for Jeffrey Puckett for music reviews. It's a miracle that those two are still there.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:12 pm

When she mentioned that the owner finished her meal tableside, she was recognized!
Andrew Mellman
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:36 pm

Well I have to say, it certainly is a different experience than what I've heard others have had as of late. I thought Vincenzo's was staying alive feeding the higher end attorneys in the immediate area.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:44 pm

This review is a whole lot better if you imagine it in Donald Trump's voice. I will admit that she has got me hungry for a delicious leather book.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:54 pm

The last time I had Vincenzos, they did do the tableside finishing or whatever (not the owner, just a senior member of the wait staff), and it was pretty entertaining, but I did have a problem with my salad that I ordered. There were little salad bugs in it. I did inform the waiter and had them take it away, and while the food was very good, I wouldn't go so far as to say it was four stars. Tasty, yes. Not quite worth the price, but worthy of a Groupon visit. My waiter was great, very personable, and he knew his stuff/was an entertaining college student, but when I came in I was snapped at by the woman at the front desk who (rudely) accused me of wearing shorts (when I was wearing long pants). The restaurant was also surprisingly loud.

That said, my food was really good (bugs aside) and they took care of the salad issue after some deliberation between wait staff members (comped it and took it away; I refused another for obvious reasons), but I don't know if I would give it four stars even on my best visit. Maybe I get the bum's rush because I'm a Groupon user?
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:26 pm

We certainly agree with the consensus of everyone else that while decent Vincenzo's certainly doesn't deserve 4 stars even at best day these days. Maybe at one time it did but it has been surpassed by many other local establishments.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Mark R. wrote:We certainly agree with the consensus of everyone else that while decent Vincenzo's certainly doesn't deserve 4 stars even at best day these days. Maybe at one time it did but it has been surpassed by many other local establishments.

Agreed. We had less than a great experience when we visited last.

And as to Robins comment about recognizing and fawning .. I thought the same thing when reading the article.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:09 am

Mark R. wrote:We certainly agree with the consensus of everyone else that while decent Vincenzo's certainly doesn't deserve 4 stars even at best day these days. Maybe at one time it did but it has been surpassed by many other local establishments.

Times two.