Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

?

no avatar
User

Cynthia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:46 pm

?

by Cynthia L » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Anything happening @ LOOP 22 ?
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: ?

by SilvioM » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:24 pm

I haven't seen any movement. It's quiet and unoccupied whenever I've walked past it this summer. Tough location, I hope something works out.
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Not sure I would call it a "tough location." On weekends, the restaurant scene at the Douglass Loop features hour-long waits at Havana Rumba and good half hour waits at the Dundee and Cafe LuLu. What the neighborhood needs is a place to bring the family or one that college kids could afford and Loop 22 didn't fit either of those criteria. We ate there when it first opened and the service was incompetent and the food so-so. (It was the first time I had ever had a server roll his/her eyes at me. I just wanted an appetizer for my entree!!! People do it all the time!) We went back after the menu was almost completely overhauled (they figured out the lower prices part but never improved the convention center-type chairs in the dining room and service issues) and it was better. The noodle house before that was mismanaged then suffered an identity crisis and stopped serving noodles. My point is, with LuLu. Havana Rumba and Dundee all doing well, whatever decides to go in that spot has plenty of potential customers. They just have to earn them.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:42 pm

I'd say it's tough because the layout isn't favorable and it is littered with deceased restaurants and bars that died at a young age. Havana is a fave, but I don't think they would have had the same success in the Loop spot. It isn't as inviting and atmosphere matters. I say that as one who sometimes returns to the nearby Great Flood even though their brews are expensive and only so-so. It's a nice place to drink. Dundee -- a nice open atmosphere to chat and watch sports, even though their food is also wanting, imo. Loop had great food but no intangibles that made it a nice place to visit. Hopefully, someone will buck the trend.
no avatar
User

Ned A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

Irish Hill

by Ned A » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:25 am

There are plans to re-open, though I am not sure of the name, and I think the time frame has moved back a little bit. Adam and Chase are still involved, but will be a different concept.
On-Premise Sales
Southern Wine & Spirits
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:56 pm

We are moving to the Highlands and will be in easy walking distance, so I anxious to have this place reopen. I agree with Alexis- a great family - friendly place would be very welcome and a great addition there.
Deb
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:02 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:Not sure I would call it a "tough location." On weekends, the restaurant scene at the Douglass Loop features hour-long waits at Havana Rumba and good half hour waits at the Dundee and Cafe LuLu. What the neighborhood needs is a place to bring the family or one that college kids could afford and Loop 22 didn't fit either of those criteria. We ate there when it first opened and the service was incompetent and the food so-so. (It was the first time I had ever had a server roll his/her eyes at me. I just wanted an appetizer for my entree!!! People do it all the time!) We went back after the menu was almost completely overhauled (they figured out the lower prices part but never improved the convention center-type chairs in the dining room and service issues) and it was better. The noodle house before that was mismanaged then suffered an identity crisis and stopped serving noodles. My point is, with LuLu. Havana Rumba and Dundee all doing well, whatever decides to go in that spot has plenty of potential customers. They just have to earn them.

I'd say it was a combination of parking and service. Unless you wanted to risk getting towed from CVS (which they actually appeared to do), there was just not much space to park over there, and it was a pain if you went at a busier time.

We definitely experienced the incompetent service repeatedly, though only in the dining room. If you sat at the bar, the service was impeccable.

I thought the food was good to great, can't really ever say I had a "so-so" meal there. It's close enough I definitely miss it!