Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Yummy Pollo

no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

Yummy Pollo

by Adam C » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:15 pm

Located on the NW corner of Bishop Lane and Newburg Rd. in that goofy strip mall/shopping center Been there for lunch three times this week. I am absolutely addicted. Charcoal roasted, rotisserie chicken and that is it. No sandwiches, no chicken fingers, no cheeseburgers.. just super good rotisserie chicken with about ten sides to choose from. Anyone else been there? I could go there everyday.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Yummy Pollo

by SilvioM » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:58 pm

I went after reading about it on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22751&p=170106&hilit=yummy+pollo#p170106

Quite good. I guess I'm not a big roto chicken guy, as I've not been back, but it was tasty.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:55 am

What kind of sauce is best? Anything hot?
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam C » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:48 pm

juan.molina wrote:What kind of sauce is best? Anything hot?

There's a cilanto type sauce and a mayo based one. Neither are overly spicy but both are quite good.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:19 pm

I'm on the Yummy Pollo train, too! After just touching down at the airport a couple of hours ago after a week's vacation with disappointing food (thanks for being overpriced out of my budget, SF Bay area restaurants!) I really did not want to cook dinner on top of unpacking and getting the pets re-settled and son off to football camp. So I swung by YP to give it a try. The sign on the door said they closed at 6:30, and it was 6:35 when I walked in (hey, the OPEN sign was still on!). Several others followed behind me in the 15 minutes that followed and the owner never said a word about closing up or locking the door. Very friendly service, and the chicken looked amazing in. I originally planned to order a 1/4 dark meal, but when the guy in front of me got a whole one, I decided it looked too good to pass up. So I came home with a whole chicken, pasta salad, yucca fries, the two sauces (cilantro-jalapeno, which has good flavor but no heat, and a garlic-mayo one), and two dulce de lecha cookies. The yucca fries were cooked fresh, I actually had to wait for them, but they don't seem to travel well so I wouldn't order those again. The pasta salad is fine, but let's be real. The star of the show is the amazing chicken. I'm hooked! I definitely won't be able to go back to Kroger deli rotisserie chicken after this!
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:23 pm

Yes!! So glad to see some love for this place. I tried it finally after seeing it open when I was running so many work errands that I was close to choosing fast food just to get some food in my face. So glad I did; I believe I was helped by the owner, who was so damn nice that it was unreal. I think the tables in there are awesome looking (this cool retro metal shiny look), but I'd probably never sit down, just not that sort of place to me. I predict a surge in popularity with the style since we're about to be engulfed by a tsunami of hot chicken restaurants pretty soon. Thanks for the post and the reminder that I need to get myself back there.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:05 pm

So glad you posted this. We love this place and have driven several times from the East End for their chicken. Hadn't thought about it in a while , and it hadn't occurred to me how close it will be to us in our new house in the Highlands. :D Thanks for the reminder!
Deb
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam C » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:08 am

I think he is going to get other locations. Not positive though. But I LOVE the concept. I love love love simple ideas like this. "Hey, welcome! I have ONE THING on the menu!"

And I must be an alien or something but the "hot chicken" craze is just lost on me. Oh fried chicken "battered" in hot sauce paste, fried in a skillet, then dunked in more sauce to be so hot your mouth goes numb? I'll pass. That sounds so unappealing to me... Give me the juicy, rich, savory chicken skin, fall off the bone YP any day. I can get my barbarian on there.

I get mine with garbonzo and green beans on the side so not to over carb. It's the best.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:12 am

Adam C wrote:I get mine with garbonzo and green beans on the side so not to over carb. It's the best.

Sometimes I'll go in just so I can get the chickpeas; the chicken is a delicious bonus.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:01 pm

I FINALLY got over to Yummy Pollo and my only disappointment is that I didn't do it sooner. I don't care if the Costco roti chicken is only $5, Yummy Pollo is worth every penny. The flavor fully infuses the meat. I had the cilantro rice and chickpeas as sides. They were great as lunch the next day with the green dipping sauce. My favorite with the chicken was the intensely savory mayo-based sauce.

1/2 chicken, all white, with 2 sides was a bit over $10 with tax.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:06 pm

My wife and I go on a pretty regular basis; it always seems to be pretty busy. If he was open later we'd go more. The owner's very personable.
no avatar
User

Adam D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 am

by Adam D » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:25 am

I drove here from the east end to eat several times a year. Office moved from Hurstbourne to, guess where, Bishop Lane. I've been there every Friday for lunch so far this year and am looking forward to it tomorrow already! The owner is an awesome guy who even kept a book on hand that my 1.5 year old left behind at a meal the prior week. The wife and I didn't even realize we had left it there until the following week I am paying him at the register and he reaches under the counter and pulls out the book haha. Dude knows how to run his joint.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:38 pm

We finally made it to Yummy Pollo. I had been after my husband and son to go here for weeks and finally we were nearby so they gave in, I think to hush me up, but not anymore. My son admitted he had preconceived ideas from the outside of the place and he was wrong, he liked everything about it from the staff to the decor to the food . My husband was too busy eating to say much. I say it was the best chicken we have had in forever. On the way out they were already planning what sides to have the next time.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Made it today . . . wonderful! The people were exceptionally nice!

They have (or at least had today) a lunch special of two dark meat 1/4's for a buck or so less than the "normal" half chicken. Also, today they had a special (off-menu) side of fried yucca, which was delicious.

We got there are just about 11 when they opened, and in the dining room were us and 40 cops . . . we felt very safe eating there!
Andrew Mellman