Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

quick lunch suggestions for tomorrow / tuesday?

by Joel F » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Looks like I will be in Louisville for lunch on my own tomorrow. Any quick favorite picks? I've been away from the board for a while.

I'm leaning towards Oishi (never been there) or DKD across the river (never been there).

I eat just about anything / any style cuisine.

I don't want snooty, I want good food. Pizza I can live without this time around.

I have regular haunts that will fit the bill (hello Clay Oven, hello Feast, hello VK) but am happy to hear about folks' faves.

Do we not have an insanely traditional Thai place anywhere? As in Pok Pok not Thai Smile.

my stomach thanks you in advance.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: quick lunch suggestions for tomorrow / tuesday?

by Joel F » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:11 pm

also, no particular area of town is off limits... I'll be bumming around.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Oishi and DKD are pretty good choices, Joel!

Caffe Classico if you want something a little more stylish (but not expensive). Out in the East End, Taj Palace or Bombay Grill for well-curated Indian buffet. El Molcajete for awesome tacos etc in the South End, or the Ville Taqueria behind BBC in St Matthews. (I think the latter is a particularly good pick because it's truly bilingual. Fabian, the owner, knows his way around Mexican cooking, but he grew up in Louisville so there's no language barrier when he's there.)

Frankfort Avenue: El Mundo! Or Irish Rover? Bardstown Road, Stevens & Stevens?

I like a lot of the NuLu places for dinner but don't get in there much at midday, not sure what's open. But this ought to give you some ideas.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joel F » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:34 pm

many thanks! there's some places in your list I've not been to yet.

Bombay Grill is a fave too. And there's always Provence.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:25 pm

If you like Vietnamese, may I suggest NamNam in St. Matthews.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:08 pm

For Mexican, I say Don Juan. They have some of the best fresh-made corn tortillas in town, with the machine front and center by the entrance like it’s a Krispy Kreme. They roast their own local pork and goat, and they don’t branch out from their core competencies and try to do too much. The birria broth and moles are fantastically rich, the salsas are bright, and the hand-squeezed juices in the margaritas make all the difference. It is a mystery to me why this place doesn’t get more attention.
http://donjuanlouisville.com/the-don-juan-story/

For Cuban, I like Bodega Mi Sueno (formerly #2, now the only one) over by Bashford Manor. It’s a cafeteria, so it’s fast. A constantly revolving array of Cuban classics like roast pork, congris, black beans, fried sweet plantains, yuca with pickled onions, oxtail stew, ropa vieja, weird cheesey rice casseroles, chicken with olives various ham fritters and guava pastries, Cuban sandwiches, chicharrones, one of those orange juice machines that slices and squeezes the oranges… Honestly their FB page is the best advertisement. Plus the portions are insane -- $10 goes really far.
https://www.facebook.com/BodegaMiSueno/photos_stream
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:31 pm

I had an awesome lunch at Anoosh the other day-can't wait to go back.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:07 am

I am always wanting to try "Shack in the Back" (Fairdale), but am never in that area for lunch/dinner (or for that manner, ever).
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joel F » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 am

great suggestions, thank you.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:25 am

Iggy C wrote:For Mexican, I say Don Juan.
For Cuban, I like Bodega Mi Sueno (formerly #2, now the only one) over by Bashford Manor.

Thank you for these!
:D
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:27 am

If you are interested in do so, let us know where you landed and what you thought.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:09 pm

"Thank you for these." Sure, hope you enjoy them.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joel F » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:22 pm

So it turned out to be Anoosh due to proximity. I had checked the menu online, quickly, before leaving and liked the look of the short-rib sandwich -- particularly since I generally don't eat beef anymore.

Upon arriving I felt lucky to have dressed more appropriately than I usually do, since the dining room is more upscale than a lunch joint. This is not really a t-shirt and shorts kinda place, unless you are sporting pastels and docksiders. When I left there was an Audi R8 parked next to my car. Ahem.

The design of the dining room is modern, clean, and well-lit without being bright. The kitchen crew / line is visible along the back wall which is a nice feature. There's a full bar.

I was early and there was garbage R&B (think autotune) coming over the speakers but I think this was changed once the lunch crowd started coming in. I was worried it was going to impinge but once the buzz started I didn't pay any attention to whatever music was playing.

Super friendly environment, as soon as you walk in the door. I think everyone working the front of the house came over to say hello / ask if I was enjoying my meal throughout the course of my stay. This was welcome and not overbearing.

My meal, pre-tip was $25.50 for a small soup, ice tea, and the short-rib sandwich plate (served with fries).

2 words: tasty & impeccable

The ice tea, unsweet, had flavor and was not simply brown water.

I had a leak & potato cold soup (vichyssoise) which was velvety bliss - garnished with chives.
I did have to specify to my waitperson, after a 10 minute wait with nothing in front of me, that I wanted this before my meal. That was the only hitch in my whole experience.

The short-rib sandwich was nicely presented with a metal cup lined with paper for the fries (reminiscent of paper cones) and a small gravy boat of ketchup -- an inspired if slightly weird way of delivering the condiment.

The fries were absolute perfection. The sandwich was great but frankly the beef was lost, you could have put anything into that mix and it would have been good, from tofu to turkey. A nice sandwich but I didn't walk away thinking beef. I am not faulting them at all for that either, it's the nature of the dish. My waitperson indicated that the dinner item for short-ribs (non-sandwich) is excellent.

It filled nicely for lunch and there was a good buzz about the place. Comfortable, enjoyable, and immaculate / precise food. I would certainly eat here again and would pay more attention to the brunchy options on the menu too.

The tiniest comments: In terms of meal composition... should something have been served with the soup? a cracker (for contrasting texture) or a small roll? Tough call since you're adding more starch.
In terms of the sandwich plate, should it have come with a pickled something on the side? beets? a homemade mild cuke pickle (bread&butter)? Maybe that's just me... and I supposed I could have ordered the seasonal veg or whatever.

I enjoyed myself and the food I ordered.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Joel F wrote:
My meal, pre-tip was $25.50 for a small soup, ice tea, and the short-rib sandwich plate (served with fries).

2 words: tasty & impeccable

The tiniest comments: In terms of meal composition... should something have been served with the soup? a cracker (for contrasting texture) or a small roll? Tough call since you're adding more starch.
In terms of the sandwich plate, should it have come with a pickled something on the side? beets? a homemade mild cuke pickle (bread&butter)? Maybe that's just me... and I supposed I could have ordered the seasonal veg or whatever.

Thanks for the report. Should something have been served with the soup, and perhaps a pickled garnish with the sandwich? At $25 pre-tip for lunch I would say so. I'll go further to say that for half that price there are too many good options to pay that kind of money and not at least get a cracker!
James J. Natsis
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for the report. Should something have been served with the soup, and perhaps a pickled garnish with the sandwich? At $25 pre-tip for lunch I would say so. I'll go further to say that for half that price there are too many good options to pay that kind of money and not at least get a cracker!

AMEN!
Next