Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Seltzer

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Seltzer

by Richard S. » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:20 pm

As cool as it sounds, I would be surprised if there were 100 people in all of Louisville who make their own soda on a regular basis. It kind of sounds like something people would do until the initial supply ran out; then the machine would end up in the bottom of a closet. As far as anyone paying for home soda delivery, I'd put it maybe 20 people who would sign up, limited mostly to the uber-wealthy.

My father, who lived in New York for many years, tried to sell my sister and me on how great egg creams were. I had one and never had the desire to have a second.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:50 pm

We have a soda stream for seltzer. Doesn't take much space and we get the can refilled at Kroger. Great product.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:29 pm

Richard S. wrote:My father, who lived in New York for many years, tried to sell my sister and me on how great egg creams were. I had one and never had the desire to have a second.

Aw! I kind of liked egg creams. They didn't have egg in them, and they didn't have cream in them, which was kind of weird. But they did have a creamy taste that I liked. (They do have milk, though, whipped into soda, so not for the lactose-intolerant.)

Did you know that March 15 is National Egg Cream Day? :lol:

http://www.eggcreamday.com/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Pretty interesting hearing all these different viewpoints on seltzer. Who new they would vary so?!

What I think I will do is buy a soda siphon that uses CO2 chargers. That way I don't lug cans or bottles up 3 flights of stairs. The bottle stays sealed until the last drop. It'll take up no space on my already burdened tiny counter (just in the fridge.) Cartridges take up about as much space as a large tub of margarine. BUT...had we not had this conversation I don't think I would have ever considered doing that. Thanks to all that offered info!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:55 pm

I never did commit to any kind of seltzer maker I have been buying liter or 2 liter bottles . ( I am an ice eater and using seltzer water makes wonderful soft ice. ) I go through about s liter a day and the plastic waste is making me feel very guilty. Is anyone out there still happily using a Soda Stream ?
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:12 pm

I love my Soda Stream so much, that I bought a second one to keep on my desk at work. Target and BB&B have the CO2 cartridge trade in program, so that makes refills so easy. Mike & I completely cut soda out in 2015 and never looked back. I mix in the Sicilian Volcanic Lemon Juice I get at Costco and will sometimes add a little stevia, if I want something sweeter. I've also started doing a sort of ginger ale, with doterra ginger essential oil and lemon juice. Sometimes, I will add a little fruit juice, depending on what's in the fridge, for a bit of variety.

I would say I go through a CO2 cartridge for each machine about every 3-4 months, but I use both a lot.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Thanks Michelle!
Previous