Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Seltzer

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Seltzer

by Carla G » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:09 am

http://www.brooklynseltzerboys.com/contact-us/

Is this a product you would buy for delivery to your home?

I have eliminated soft drinks from my diet altogether. I did it drinking sodium-free soda/seltzer water instead. The only drawback was lugging countless bottles to and from the store. I considered an "at home" carbonating system instead but my counter space is limited, cartridges are a bit pricey and finding them isn't always easy. Then there is the "green" factor. (Plastic bottles and cartridge disposal.)

I would SO love a service like this. Delivered right to my door. No lugging, no trash, no loss of counter space. Anybody else like this idea or am I just alone on this? (Always a possibility!)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Seltzer

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:52 am

This brought back memories of my dear, departed (ex) father-in-law. He owned a beer depot and made and sold seltzer. It is a staple of NY/NJ beverages. I wish I had one of his old blue seltzer bottles. He even bought coke syrup and made his own sodas, he thought commercial Coca Cola was too sweet. Now I want an egg cream! :roll:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:55 am

It sounds like an interesting idea but I'm not sure how practical it would be. Why not make your own at home? It's been done for decades and is very easy. You can either use one of the new soda makers, something like this: https://www.sodastreamusa.com/ 01 of the traditional old-style ones something like this: http://www.creamright.com/product/SODA-WL-CG1000.html . There are many styles of each type available depending on what you want. As long as you keep the cylinders around all you do is fill a bottle with water and you're ready to go.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:55 am

Ida know, Carla. I love bubble water (and bubbly wine), but I'm not sure this is something that I'd want on home delivery. To be honest, we usually just stock up on the cheapest brand of generic soda water at Kroger, and it seems to be just fine. :)
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Ida know, Carla. I love bubble water (and bubbly wine), but I'm not sure this is something that I'd want on home delivery. To be honest, we usually just stock up on the cheapest brand of generic soda water at Kroger, and it seems to be just fine. :)

Will you carry my soda bottles up to my third floor apartment? Also the liter bottles I buy at the store frequently go flat before I drink it all. With the bottles used in the delivery service it stays carbonated until the last drop. The other thing out here in the boonies is the lack of home recycling pick up.

Mark R. wrote:It sounds like an interesting idea but I'm not sure how practical it would be. Why not make your own at home? It's been done for decades and is very easy. You can either use one of the new soda makers, something like this: https://www.sodastreamusa.com/ 01 of the traditional old-style ones something like this: http://www.creamright.com/product/SODA-WL-CG1000.html . There are many styles of each type available depending on what you want. As long as you keep the cylinders around all you do is fill a bottle with water and you're ready to go.

Again, limited (I have a small condo.) counter space.
I dunno know. Maybe I'm the only one that would get excited about this service.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Carla G wrote:Again, limited (I have a small condo.) counter space.

Actually, if you buy one of the old traditional type that just use a small cylinder to charge them you can make one bottle at a time and take up even less space than buying several bottles and storing them! I do agree I think the countertop type are kind of useless.

no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:34 pm

I purchased the Soda Stream and make seltzer daily. Super easy and convenient. I replace the carbonation tank at Bed, Bath and Beyond using a 20% discount coupon (they come in the mail, but can also be found online). I only have had to replace it on average of one to two times per year. The Soda Stream doesn't take up much counter space and doesn't need to be plugged in. It comes with two bottles to fill. And, I keep a few bottles of the soda syrup (cola, etc.) on hand for easy to make sodas for my kids, and guests. I really love it. No bottles to carry or recycle, and always fresh and available. You can also control level of carbonation you prefer.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Melissa S wrote:I purchased the Soda Stream and make seltzer daily. Super easy and convenient. I replace the carbonation tank at Bed, Bath and Beyond using a 20% discount coupon (they come in the mail, but can also be found online). I only have had to replace it on average of one to two times per year. The Soda Stream doesn't take up much counter space and doesn't need to be plugged in. It comes with two bottles to fill. And, I keep a few bottles of the soda syrup (cola, etc.) on hand for easy to make sodas for my kids, and guests. I really love it. No bottles to carry or recycle, and always fresh and available. You can also control level of carbonation you prefer.

Hmmmm...you make a good case for the soda stream. I wasn't sure how often cartridges needed to be changed.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:08 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Carla G wrote:Again, limited (I have a small condo.) counter space.

Actually, if you buy one of the old traditional type that just use a small cylinder to charge them you can make one bottle at a time and take up even less space than buying several bottles and storing them! I do agree I think the countertop type are kind of useless.

Are these like the "whippets " used for whipping cream dispensers? Can you make the soda directly into a bottle similar to an old timey type bottle ? That would work for me.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:21 pm

Carla G wrote:Are these like the "whippets " used for whipping cream dispensers? Can you make the soda directly into a bottle similar to an old timey type bottle ? That would work for me.

Yes they are, if you look at the 2nd link that was in my previous post you'll see one of the many styles that that company has available. I'm sure there are also other companies that have money available.

no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:32 pm

The carbonation tanks are placed inside the Soda Stream machine, and the tanks are big (as big as a one liter bottle). You fill the empty bottle with water and attach to the machine and add the carbonation. It literally takes seconds to make. The machine itself is narrow and takes up less counter space than a coffee pot. We bought ours at Costco a while back.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:41 am

Carla-it sounds like that Soda Stream is the way to go- I had soda delivered in NYC for 15 years, but it came in a case with 6 bottles which took up a bit of room, probably more than you would want to give up.
I agree with Suzi- the whole idea is quite nostalgic and romantic.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:26 am

GaryF wrote:
I agree with Suzi- the whole idea is quite nostalgic and romantic.

Ah Gary, you know me too well. :oops:
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:17 am

I buy the canned Kroger brand seltzer water, comes in 12 packs, pretty easy to schlep and drink without going flat. I, too, seldom drink soft drinks, but am totally addicted to seltzer water. :)
no avatar
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:46 am

We LOVE our soda stream! I was skeptical at first, but am hooked! I add Sicilian Volcanic Lemon or Blood Orange juice and I am good to go :)
Next