Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Marsha's Industry Standard: When a Restaurant Closes

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Industry Standard: What Happens When a Restaurant Closes?

By Marsha Lynch

We all know what happens when a restaurant is getting ready to open. Projected opening dates get pushed back due to construction or licensing/permit delays. There's a predictable shuffle of executive chefs, sous chefs, line cooks, general managers, bartenders and servers culled from other establishments in town. There are lots of bills for interior decorating and the first flush of new stemware, china and flatware. Finally, when the liquor license is granted at last: a "soft opening" or friends and family night. Kudos all around. Back-slapping. Rounds of beer bought for new staff at a local bar.

But what happens when a restaurant closes?

We're not talking about places that close purposely, whose owners want to retire, or move and re-tailor their concept. We're talking restaurants that simply fail, for whatever reason in a minefield of possible reasons: cash flow, slipshod management, owners who "rob" their own business for personal living expenses. Even just poor planning or simple bad luck (not enough parking, crappy menu writing, less than laser-focus on food and labor costs). Profit margins are thin even in the best-run restaurants. Toss in one or more of these other complications and it can be over within months or even weeks.

First, let's rewind to before the doors actually close. Our industry is fairly tight-knit, and everybody knows somebody who works at a place that's getting ready to go under. Whispers of discontent can be heard around town. Invoices might get paid, but the checks may bounce and get replaced with promises. "They're on COD (cash on delivery) with their vendors," you'll hear. Or worse: vendors simply stop taking orders from the establishment, and stop delivering altogether.

The owners know this is happening. The chef usually knows because she's the one who has to deal with the suppliers. Sometimes it takes awhile for the employees to catch on, but an uneasy feeling starts to permeate the restaurant. That sense of optimism ebbs away. Owners might start making their exit plans, but rarely clue in the rest of the staff. It's a catch-22. As an owner or manager, it's unrealistic to say to your staff, "OK, we're not doing so well, maybe you should all consider looking for new positions, but we're going to try to make it another month." You'd be a ghost town within a few shifts. The reality is, most line or prep cooks — and many of these work paycheck-to-paycheck — will only be clued in when that paycheck bounces or is un-cashable (Bank teller: "I'm sorry, there are no funds available to cash this"). Servers may end up even worse off, since the bulk of their income is what they take home in cash-out every night. They're socking it away, in a bank account or a sock drawer, for the rent. When they come to work one day and the doors are locked, panic sets in.

Thankfully, I've only ever worked for one failing restaurant. But I've been there, tugging at that locked door, with a panicking server beside me. She was wondering aloud what she was supposed to do about the LG&E bill that was due in two days. I was wondering how I'd recover all the overdraft fees my bounced paycheck caused in my bank account. (Answer: I never did.)

Vendors with unpaid invoices have the option of paying an attorney to put a lien on any sale of the business — assuming there's a "business" of any value left to sell — or remaining assets (appliances, furniture, fixtures, et cetera) and can hope to recoup their money that way. The dishwasher, the busboy, the 20-year-old hostess? Not so much. It's not like when a corporation dissolves and everyone gets severance pay and free career counseling to assist in a job search. The newly unemployed restaurant worker won't be able to meet tuition and textbook expenses for themselves, or daycare expenses for their kids. Parents and roommates have to take up the slack for their part of the bills until they find a new gig.

What can you, as a patron, do if one of your favorite places seems to be faltering? Give an extra-big tip once in awhile if you can afford it (and don't forget the kitchen). Include your business card with the check and offer to act as a reference if you feel quality staff may be job-hunting soon. Most of all, keep coming back, and vote with your feet. It means more than you can imagine.

Marsha Lynch has worked at many Louisville independent restaurants including Limestone, Jack Fry's, Jarfi's, L&N Wine Bar and Bistro, Café Lou Lou, and Marketplace @ Theater Square.

Read it on LouisvilleHotBytes:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5338

and in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/07/what-h ... nt-closes/
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Marsha's Industry Standard: When a Restaurant Closes

by Rob Coffey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:55 pm

When a corporation fails, its a lot like what you describe with a restaurant. Although without the physical assets that restaurants have, vendors can't even get anything from liens/court.

I have filed the paperwork to try to get something from the BK court...never worked.

The employees I knew at these places sure didn't get any kind of severance or placement help.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Marsha, is there anyway you can get them to triple your word count? You do such a great job of speaking from the insider perspective, but the rest of us insiders know there is so much more to the story than you have space to go into. Honestly, I could read pages of your thoughts on this stuff. A+. It's reaffirming to hear you say the things that I have experienced or have knowledge of. Helps me not feel alone. I wonder if the non-industry folks get as much out of it as I do?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Speaking from a non-insider perspective, I completely enjoy every one of Marsha's columns and agree with Ronnie - more would be better! In my "if I won the lottery and money were no object" dreams, owning and operating "Michele's Bistro" would be my number one choice, hands down. I live vicariously (good and bad) through the experiences I read from those of you in the trenches. Marsha has an amazing gift with words and her vast experience lends such credibility to every article.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:29 pm

Ronnie and Michele, thanks for your kind words. I'd somehow missed your responses until this morning (Sunday). As I often do, I drew inspiration for this column from just the day to day trials and tribulations of my fellow restaurant workers and patrons. I used to think I'd some day run out of stuff to write columns about, but (hope I'm not jinxing myself here) something always comes up.

Thanks again!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:00 am

Brains, beauty and she cooks. Isn't that the culinary triple threat! :wink:
Well done Marsha!