Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Late night Bardstown dining?

by Richard S. » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:33 pm

What's open late on Bardstown Road that's worthwhile? Preferably with vegan options. Although I gave them many chances I've finally given up on Cafe 360.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Late night Bardstown dining?

by GaryF » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:49 am

I liked Epic Sammie, and it has a veggie option and a delicious fish option.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:56 am

GaryF wrote:I liked Epic Sammie, and it has a veggie option and a delicious fish option.

Good pick. Is Asiatique's downstairs lounge still serving late?

There's always Spinelli's and la Bamba Burritos Bigger Than Your Head, but ... :oops:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:02 am

Ramsi's open till 1am during the week, 2am on weekends, and has a huge vegetarian menu!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:21 am

I want to like Ramsi's more, but I've never been able to become a fan. I'd rather see them do one or two cuisines extremely well than 20 cuisines with relative mediocrity, studded with a few winning dishes.
no avatar
User

James Tyler

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:29 pm

by James Tyler » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:07 am

Diamond Station Bar & Grill serves food till 4am every night.
Gourmet salads, wings, burgers, biscuits n gravy and more.
Soon to be serving Loui Loui's Detroit style pizza.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:10 am

Robin Garr wrote:I want to like Ramsi's more, but I've never been able to become a fan. I'd rather see them do one or two cuisines extremely well than 20 cuisines with relative mediocrity, studded with a few winning dishes.

This. Ramsi's is one step short of a local Cheescake Factory, in that regard.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:24 am

My wife and I were coming home from an event downtown the other night and wanted to stop on Bardstown and get something to eat. She had a salad at Cafe 360 once that she liked and wanted to get it again. I suggested we try Ramsi's but she was insistent on 360. I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to funky dining environments, but for some reason the decor at 360 increasingly conveys the impression that the place is dirty from top to bottom. The server, who looked like he would be more at home at a construction site, pretty much got every aspect of our order incorrect. My wife wanted to kick up more of a fuss than I did, but I just wanted to get the experience over with and get out.

We've had more bad experiences there than good ones, but this visit made us decide we were never going back. If the place was in any other location I'd guess it would have closed down long ago.

I do plan to try "Burritos as Big as Your Head" once before I die, although I'm not sure I've ever driven by and seen customers inside. I visit Champaign, Ill., on a regular basis and they have an identical location there. We've eaten at Spinelli's before and liked it but my wife can't deal with the condition of the bathrooms.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:44 am

Richard S. wrote:I do plan to try "Burritos as Big as Your Head" once before I die, although I'm not sure I've ever driven by and seen customers inside.

In fairness, Richard, it exists primarily to serve the Bardstown-Baxter Drinking Community, and draws most of its crowds after midnight.

But somewhat surprisingly, it's staffed by Latinos and, in my experience, serves a fair brand of taqueria fare, with decent salsas, horchata and things like that, unlikely to be found in a Taco Bell.

(Caveat ... I don't guess I've been by for a couple of years. But in my recollection, it's a reasonable fast-food option during daylight hours, when, as you note, it is rarely crowded. :mrgreen: )
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Richard S. wrote:I do plan to try "Burritos as Big as Your Head" once before I die, although I'm not sure I've ever driven by and seen customers inside.

In fairness, Richard, it exists primarily to serve the Bardstown-Baxter Drinking Community, and draws most of its crowds after midnight.

But somewhat surprisingly, it's staffed by Latinos and, in my experience, serves a fair brand of taqueria fare, with decent salsas, horchata and things like that, unlikely to be found in a Taco Bell.

(Caveat ... I don't guess I've been by for a couple of years. But in my recollection, it's a reasonable fast-food option during daylight hours, when, as you note, it is rarely crowded. :mrgreen: )

I'll vouch for La Bamba. Whenever I'm hungry for something cheap and quick but flavorful, I head down there instead of the Taco Bell. Better food, more of it, for the same price. The folks behind the counter are always friendly, I can watch them make my order, solid vegetarian options (the very rare refried beans that don't use lard and a burrito with avocado), and who can beat a Big Gulp of horchata for a buck or two? I can't say for late night hours, but mostly when I'm there, it's to get carry-out and I usually see a few other people with the same idea.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:11 pm

James Tyler wrote:Diamond Station Bar & Grill serves food till 4am every night.

And the pita place right next to it is open until 2am, at least on weekends.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:42 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I want to like Ramsi's more, but I've never been able to become a fan. I'd rather see them do one or two cuisines extremely well than 20 cuisines with relative mediocrity, studded with a few winning dishes.

This. Ramsi's is one step short of a local Cheescake Factory, in that regard.

I hadn't ever thought of that comparison but it's certainly an appropriate one! I certainly agree with Robin's opinion of the menu and I too wish I can like it more.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:20 am

James Tyler wrote:Diamond Station Bar & Grill serves food till 4am every night.
Gourmet salads, wings, burgers, biscuits n gravy and more.
Soon to be serving Loui Loui's Detroit style pizza.

I'll believe in this mystical pizza once I see it on the menu :D
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:25 am

I'm stealing this for the future. I've never been able to properly express my problem with Ramsi's, but this about covers it. It's always been a shame, because everyone from the front staff to the owner has always been incredibly awesome, but everything I've had has been exactly average (minus one dish that I had so many years ago I can't remember what it was, but it was heavily chickpea based, IIRC). Nevertheless, for super late night, it's still one of the best open on the road.

Cafe 360's food, IMO, shouldn't be considered "dining", unless by dining one only means the mastication of unknown substances for caloric intake -- akin to soylent green, but without the people (I think). Darned good beer prices, though.
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:16 am

by DustinStaggers » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:11 pm

America. The Diner. The end
Dustin Staggers
Owner-Roux, Epic Sammich Co, America. The Diner, Ten Tables
Next