Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Yen Happa closed

no avatar
User

James Tyler

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Yen Happa closed

by James Tyler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Unfortunately, Yen Happa closed permanently today.
The sign on the door says to visit them at Annie's Cafe.
Shame they couldn't make it work. Nice guys with good food.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Yen Happa closed

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:22 pm

That is the former Banh Mi Hero? If so, I'm sorry to hear it. Annie's son seemed like a nice guy.
no avatar
User

James Tyler

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:29 pm

by James Tyler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:55 pm

That is correct Robin. They worked hard everyday but just couldn't make it work. Nice guys.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:38 am

So sad, they had delicious food. I wonder if they will proceed with the food truck they were developing?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:38 am

I really liked their soups. That is a shame.
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:07 pm

This breaks my heart. Great Banh Mi and excellent noodle bowls. Those kids worked hard to put out great food. I always wondered about the location, though. I'm sure in a better place they could have thrived.

I'm also upset that, with the closing of Yen Hapa and Rumplings, there are fewer places to get real noodle bowls. I know it's personal taste, but my heart sinks when I hear of another Mexican or pizza place and so few real ramen/noodle/dim sum/asian places in the East End. And why is there still no Indian food truck?
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:08 pm

I drive/walk past that spot almost daily and there was rarely more than one table taken. I never went in myself, never heard any positive word of mouth. It's not an ideal location, but Oishii did well enough to springboard to a bigger (and usually crowded) building.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:22 pm

I saw the restaurant space was listed for lease on Craigslist last week.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:53 pm

Ken Wilson wrote:

I'm also upset that, with the closing of Yen Hapa and Rumplings, there are fewer places to get real noodle bowls. I know it's personal taste, but my heart sinks when I hear of another Mexican or pizza place and so few real ramen/noodle/dim sum/asian places in the East End. And why is there still no Indian food truck?

I share these same sentiments. Anytime an ecclectic ethnic restaurant is replaced with another rendition of pizza, Mexican, or hamburgers it is not an ideal trade.

As for Lee, he should consider a more modest location where he can duplicate his mother's menu. You can't go wrong with just a bluechip type of stock such as old-fashion pho and other Vietnames dishes. His family, Vietnam Kitchen, and Cafe Tuy Van stand as my witnesses.
James J. Natsis
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Ken Wilson wrote:And why is there still no Indian food truck?

My thoughts exactly...
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:28 am

SilvioM wrote:I drive/walk past that spot almost daily and there was rarely more than one table taken. I never went in myself, never heard any positive word of mouth. It's not an ideal location, but Oishii did well enough to springboard to a bigger (and usually crowded) building.

Every time I was in there, under either the Bahn Mi Hero or Yen Happa moniker, I was the only one present. I'm not surprised it closed, though I agree with others that the food was pretty good. The location certainly isn't the best, though there is a lot of through traffic that way. For better or worse, they would have sold 100x more as a food truck _in that exact location_.
User

Matt M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 am

by Matt M » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:38 am

Sad to hear! We stopped in for the first time for takeout on Monday and the Phnom Penh noodle bowl was great! There was only one table occupied though.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:03 pm

It is a shame. But he is so young, and to have that experience behind him at such a young age is sure to make him a better business person in whatever field he chooses. That corridor is sparse and though he was right on the road, the sign, the decor, the building, never called out to you to stop. He had less than ideal kitchen space and I think he was reluctant to take advice from other restaurant veterans. Annie's is one of my go to places, but even they struggle some nights, and lets just face it, this is a hard ass way to make a living. Best of luck to him in whatever direction he goes. I also think the food truck would have kicked butt.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 am

At one of the Phood Truck Phridays they did at Phoenix Hill, they had a trailer that they were cooking in, and it worked really well for a simpler menu. They had bahn mi, some sort of stir fried thing, and so on, and they seemed to do really well. Hopefully the loss of the brick and mortar won't keep him from going for the food truck idea, because I think that's a great idea and his execution in the trailer was top notch.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg