Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Brendon's Catch 23

no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Brendon's Catch 23

by Joel F » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:03 pm

The Invention of the Chilean Sea Bass
http://priceonomics.com/the-invention-o ... -sea-bass/

For 110 days and across two seas and three oceans, crews stalked a fugitive fishing ship considered the world’s most notorious poacher.

Consumer demand for toothfish skyrocketed in the 1980s and 1990s after a Los Angeles-based seafood wholesaler decided to rename the oily fish Chilean sea bass to make it more appealing to the American market. An ugly bottom dweller, found only in the earth’s coldest waters, the toothfish can grow over six feet long and weigh more than 250 pounds. The rebranding worked a little too well. More fishing boats targeted toothfish, and now some scientists say that its population is disappearing at an unsustainable rate, though it is unclear how fast.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/world ... antes.html
no avatar
User

Brian R

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:42 pm

by Brian R » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:58 pm

There's a Debbie Downer in every crowd. That oily bottom feeder toothfish was damn good! :roll:
no avatar
User

Brian R

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:42 pm

by Brian R » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks Robin. I got it under the 500k cap it required but didn't know to check the res. No biggie, still viewable. Thx.
no avatar
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:16 am

I just recently returned from a trip "home" meaning where I was born and raised as opposed to "where my stuff is" which a friend pointed out is really home. I stayed downtown at the Seelbach so our dining experience was almost all on Main and in NuLu.

Our last evening a friend and I had a dessert and nightcap across the street at Brendon's Catch 23. It is a beautiful restaurant.

I just re-read this thread and was struck by some of the comments and our perception. We rolled in about 9:30 and the place was hoppin'. Without reservations we had a short wait and found a seat at the bar. Service was quick and attentive. While waiting we shared the stuffed mushroom app and I had a cocktail. In addition to a very loud atmosphere to the point of making it difficult to talk, there was live and extremely loud music too.

The restaurant is in the old long gone Stewart's Dry Goods building. A nostalgic trip down memory lane, but the high hard ceilings weren't designed for a quiet dinner.

After a short wait we were seated at a nice banquette table in the rear with a slightly lower decibel level (still pretty raucous) and had our dessert, a quite passable chocolate bread pudding with a glass of red wine.

My perception was that of a corporate or hotel restaurant although I understand from the thread it is an independent. The clues for me were the menu which I couldn't describe as adventurous and the execution of what we ordered. The app was, to borrow a word, meh, my cocktail small and prices pretty high. I guess located right in with the convention hotels a tame menu of standards is the safe way to go.

To be fair, this was the last evening of our trip, we were exhausted from a long day of tailgating and our taste buds were pretty burned out from the unbelievably good stuff we had at our other stops while in Louisville. Friday night was a 6-1/2 hour progressive dinner at 5 restaurants on main and market. We might have perceived a completely different experience were we fresh and it was our first stop on our culinary tour. So, if we have a hankering for fish we will most likely give them another shot the next time we visit. Service was excellent throughout.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:48 am

TimT wrote:... unbelievably good stuff we had at our other stops while in Louisville. Friday night was a 6-1/2 hour progressive dinner at 5 restaurants on main and market.

Thanks for the Brendon's report, Tim, but I sure hope you'll find a little time to tell us about this! :mrgreen:

Glad you enjoyed your visit "home."
Previous