Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

This quarters list of shame!

no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

This quarters list of shame!

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Here's the article from Business First listing this quarters restaurant reviews. Seems like there are an awful lot of "C's" this time around! http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2015/07/27/these-are-the-latest-retstaurants-with-food-code.html?ana=e_lou_bn_newsalert&u=jmaEvPefCYz57LwC/D+tbu+JKPf&t=1438044185
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: This quarters list of shame!

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 pm

Let's not join Louisville Mag in the clickbaiting. A "C" doesn't mean much except for a mistake that in most cases is instantly corrected. (Or, although I'd like to think this can't happen here, an invitation for a bribe.)

Personally I think a list of "B" grades would be more meaningful, as it suggests more of an ongoing pattern of lackluster sanitation efforts. But it's not as sexy, so you won't see the old media headlining it.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:24 pm

I see "presence of insects" over and over again...

Uh...this is Louisville...in the summertime... (I assume they don't mean They of Whom We Dare Not Mention)

And why is a C everything from a 70 to a 92?

Also, W.W. Cousins is not on the list!
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:...A "C" doesn't mean much except for a mistake that in most cases is instantly corrected...

This is always the response when this subject comes up. My reaction: when I see a C or B, I leave and go somewhere else. I attribute anything but an A to poor management and there are just too many other options. I quit going to Panera at duPont because they have had multiple Cs and there were other indications of poor management in my opinion that made me question the whole operation.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:27 pm

Jay, it's always MY response, but it's based on considerable experience in the restaurant community, following inspectors and repeatedly interviewing Board of Health officials over the years. I'm not just pulling out out of my ... um, hip pocket. :mrgreen:

The problem really wasn't a big deal until the placard A, B and C system came along. They needed a way to handle significant but easily correctible issues in a way that would acknowledge wrong without pillorying an establishment with the C of Shame for a full six months when the issue was resolved instantly. Hence, the brief period followed by a re-inspection.

I respect your right to disagree, but personally I'm more comfortable knowing that the Drano got moved out of the pantry (and the guy who left it there properly chastised), or the plumbing or fridge got fixed, or whatever. In general, there is no safer time to dine at a restaurant than just after the C came down, because whatever prompted it has been repaired and attention heightened. As I said above, a B worries me more because it may signal a management attitude that just barely passing is good enough as a daily practice.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:45 pm

Robin, I'm with you on this one. B's scare me. I'll forgive the occasional C.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The problem really wasn't a big deal until the placard A, B and C system came along. They needed a way to handle significant but easily correctible issues in a way that would acknowledge wrong without pillorying an establishment with the C of Shame for a full six months when the issue was resolved instantly. Hence, the brief period followed by a re-inspection.

I respect your right to disagree, but personally I'm more comfortable knowing that the Drano got moved out of the pantry (and the guy who left it there properly chastised), or the plumbing or fridge got fixed, or whatever.

In general I agree with you Robin but the problem I have is that how long did the problem exist before it was noted by the inspector? How long is it going to take for to happen again? Something may have been fixed or moved until the reinspection and then we don't know what happens? Restaurants know exactly to what standards they are being expected to. They should have their facilities in a condition to meet those standards at any time.

If you look at the quality of how a facility is maintained on a daily basis it tells me a lot more. When you go into a restaurant and everything looks spec and span every time you're there and employees are constantly tidying up and cleaning in addition to the fact that a manager is always there you will probably find a restaurant that consistently gets good scores!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:47 am

So here's my question. When they say "unapproved source of food," does that mean they had to go to Kroger and pick up a few pounds of hamburger, rather than going through Sysco?
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:22 am

Ron H wrote:So here's my question. When they say "unapproved source of food," does that mean they had to go to Kroger and pick up a few pounds of hamburger, rather than going through Sysco?

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that this wouldn't matter because Kroger has also been inspected. It's probably more like "Cousin Bubba brought in some venison" or, maybe, "They had no idea where this unmarked package of meat came from."