Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cafe Classico, first visit

no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Cafe Classico, first visit

by Ellen P » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:28 am

Trying to alternate eating at fav restaurants, dining at home, and new to us restaurants finally got to Cafe Classico on Frankfort Avenue. Very approachable menu in costs and interests. Mellow atmosphere. Guitarist quietly playing in the back corner. When we entered, we were told to sit anywhere and we went towards the back. Very clean, light atmosphere.
But, there were lapses. Table behind us came in after us and got their apps before us. Saw our server looking as I did and she went off to kitchen. They weren't busy. Lots of servers so it might have been a kitchen thing, not service. But she didn't seem interested in us. I asked about the olives since most tables seemed to have them. She said they came with a dish. (The very few times she said anything to us.) Didn't ask if wanted to order any. I guess we had already decided the evening was over.
The whole experience was very cold and unwelcoming. Yes, it was mellow, but our server left us just wanting to get out of there. We left after finishing the appetizers. Normally we don't eat very much but like to order more food and take the rest with us (we bring a cooler with us in the car with ice packs, so we are prepared to spend more money even though the waist line doesn't allow:-)
No manager or owner or chef ever came through.
We certainly don't expect rowdy bar atmospheres. In fact we are baby boomers and most of the folks dining were even older than us.
There was just something unwelcoming about the whole experience that won't have us returning. But of course that makes it easy with so many choices in Louisville. Yes, just one visit does that.
Service is so-o-o important. The appetizers we had were really good.
Thank you, Ellen
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Cafe Classico, first visit

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:00 pm

Thanks for the review, Ellen. I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience at one of my favorite restaurants. The owner, Tommie Mudd, is all about hospitality, and in our experience the servers are nice, but I expect they can get overwhelmed, and if Tommie wasn't around, maybe a little in the weeds.

Anyway, it's entirely fair for you to report what happened to you, so no quibbles there. Sorry, though!
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:15 pm

but, Robin, she clearly pointed out that they were not busy, so weeded is no excuse. This just sounds like poor service.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:53 pm

RonnieD wrote:but, Robin, she clearly pointed out that they were not busy, so weeded is no excuse. This just sounds like poor service.

I got nuthin'. When Tommie is there, he's an excellent host.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:31 am

Well, we do love the food and ambience at CC, but we've had weird to inattentive service every time we've eaten in the back room. Service is just fine in the front whenever we've gone for breakfast or lunch, but the back room for dinner is another story. The last time we managed to get a table right next to the bar so at least we could lean over and ask the bartender for beverages.

I've never been in either room when Tommie wasn't there.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:39 am

Two friends went there for brunch yesterday. The back room was not open and the front room was busy. They also reported inattentive service - they had to ask twice for coffee, ask three times for the check, etc. There appeared to be three servers (or two and a manager) working the room. They did not see Tommie - they know him by sight.

They did say that the food was excellent.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

I didn't have good service there one time also
no avatar
User

ConnieBarlow

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:39 pm

by ConnieBarlow » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:11 pm

Had lunch there 7/26 with two friends, and the restaurant was full when we arrived. Our server was busy and remained very attentive, and lunch was superlative, Tommy was there and as always, very hospitable. The best chicken rice soup I've ever had, and those Belgian fries (and dipping sauces, particularly the garlicky one) are incomparable...love this place and have always had excellent service, whether at peak dinner time or weird off hours.