Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Epic Sammich Co. is not Rumplings, but it'll do

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:26 pm

Epic Sammich Co. is not Rumplings, but it'll do

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

It's Not Tofu sandwich and an order of fries at Epic Sammich Co

For a too-short, brilliant seven months, the glory that was Rumplings blazed like a comet soaring across the sky of Louisville's dining scene.

Then, just like that, one night in early June, Rumplings went dark, accompanied by a chorus of wails from despairing fans.

Okay. I admit it. That's kind of dramatic. But dammit, that's how I felt, and judging from the anguished voices I heard, I don't think I was alone.

Look, I can't blame the Rumplings guys. I really can't. As I said during the Airing of Grievances and Recriminations that followed their departure, "Those guys were trying their best to channel a serious Japanese ramen shop, including making fresh noodles to order (albeit with a Kitchenaid pasta-maker attachment). Yeah, that's a lot more labor-intensive than slinging fried chicken, subs or pizza.

"Also, running long hours late into the night to serve the Baxter Avenue Drinking Community might have made it both fun and ... interesting. They were serious, very serious, about quality, and I can understand their wish to have an appropriate payday."

Chef Ethan Ray, who is now chef de cuisine at corporate partner Roux, uttered this eulogy: "It was quite demanding. ... my job responsibilities were two things: noodles and dumplings. I was working 55-60 hours a week to meet the noodle and dumpling demands of a four-day-a-week restaurant, and that was with late night support to continue noodle making into the evening. It's like having one guy at a burger place making all the buns and fries in house. And that's all he did."

In short, the numbers didn't work.

So, buh-bye Rumplings, and hello, Epic Sammich Co. Redefining the closure as merely a step forward in a "restaurant incubator," Rumplings owner Dustin Staggers and Eric Morris, who joined the team after closing Loop 22, quickly unveiled Rumplings' replacement: An epic sandwich - er, sammich - shop. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5332

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/07/epic-s ... t-itll-do/

Epic Sammich Co.
2009 Highland Ave.
713-3742
facebook.com/Rumplings502
Robin Garr's rating: 86 points
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Epic Sammich Co. is not Rumplings, but it'll do

by GaryF » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:47 pm

The Wharf you mentioned is one of the best sandwiches I recall passing these lips. The catfish was hot and crispy and the lobster salad chock full of lobster meat. Add to that fried pickles and some hot sauce and you've got one tasty Sammie.