Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

FDKY BBQ

User

SheilaKalajdžić

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:16 pm

FDKY BBQ

by SheilaKalajdžić » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:18 pm

My husband and I had lunch there today, and I must say we really enjoyed. I had the pork BBQ with coleslaw and fried potatoes. My husband had the brisket with baked beans and potato salad. Everything was really good. Their lunch special is $6.99 for a sandwich, side, and drink. An extra side is only $1.00 more.

What I liked the most about this locally owned and operated BBQ joint is that they don't put the BBQ sauce on the meat. They have their homemade sauces on the table and you choose which one(s) you want, and you can put on as little or as much as you like. I don't like a lot of sauce on mine so I was very happy that I was able to control the amount of BBQ sauce on the meat.

The only thing I didn't like was the bun. To be fair, I don't like commercial bread. I make my own bread all the time. That store bought stuff grosses me out...doesn't even taste like real food to me. Anyway, I didn't eat the bun...just the meat with pickles and onions.

Anyway, we walked there from Big O Tires where we were having some work done on our car. I'm glad we ate there. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: FDKY BBQ

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Nice review, Sheila! Where is it exactly?
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:51 pm

It's in J-town. Across Taylorsville road from Kingpin Lanes I think.

In that area.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Yep, near the intersection of Taylorsville Rd and Patti Lane. The building housed various Mexican restaurants before FDKY.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:45 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:24 am

I am almost positive this is at least part of the group, if not the same guy, who was behind Firehouse bbq in shelbyville that morphed and grew into a local chain of Firefresh Bbq.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:27 am

Kris Billiter wrote:I am almost positive this is at least part of the group, if not the same guy, who was behind Firehouse bbq in shelbyville that morphed and grew into a local chain of Firefresh Bbq.

I certainly hope their BBQ is better than the stuff Firefresh sells, which has apparently never been within miles of a smoker.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:55 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:I am almost positive this is at least part of the group, if not the same guy, who was behind Firehouse bbq in shelbyville that morphed and grew into a local chain of Firefresh Bbq.

I was thinking that as well and that there's also a connection with the former Bruce's Smokehouse that was on Watterson Trail.
User

SheilaKalajdžić

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SheilaKalajdžić » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Nice review, Sheila! Where is it exactly?

Sorry I neglected the location. That would help. :) It's on Taylorsville Rd. in J-town...right pass the Big O. :)
User

SheilaKalajdžić

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SheilaKalajdžić » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Chris M wrote:It's in J-town. Across Taylorsville road from Kingpin Lanes I think.

In that area.

Yes...that's right, Chris. :)
User

SheilaKalajdžić

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SheilaKalajdžić » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:13 pm

I certainly hope their BBQ is better than the stuff Firefresh sells, which has apparently never been within miles of a smoker.

Lonnie, they had a smoker outside. Even their fried potatoes tasted smoked. LOL! :)
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:32 am

actually, I was wondering if they were the same folks that used to have a "Fire Dept." BBQ about 12 years ago on Breckenridge Ln., sort of in front of the Hikes Point Kroger? It had all kinds of "fire dept." related stuff and decent (if not great) BBQ. Building gone and it's a Kroger gas station now :(
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

by Scott Rudd » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:16 pm

" I was wondering if they were the same folks that used to have a "Fire Dept." BBQ about 12 years ago on Breckenridge Ln., sort of in front of the Hikes Point Kroger? It had all kinds of "fire dept." related stuff and decent (if not great) BBQ. Building gone and it's a Kroger gas station now "

Willie, it is Torch and Bruce are the Owners/Management there. Same guys that were at Breckinridge Lane. Bruce was approached by a group of guys to "chain" his concept. But, had to change the name due to Firehouse Subs...so Fire Fresh was born.
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:20 pm