Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

EMV Liability Shift

no avatar
User

susan.browne

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:45 am

EMV Liability Shift

by susan.browne » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Are you concerned about the October liability shift? Do you know what the date means to you and your business? Has your processor informed you about what you need to do to make sure the shift in liability works in your favor? If you have questions about EMV and want to know how it REALLY effects your business, contact me directly. I can help!!

Ben Browne
NCR Merchant Solutions
502-689-3653
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: EMV Liability Shift

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi, Ben (or Susan). Thanks for posting. We do discourage commercial posts promoting one's own interests, though. You're welcome to talk with us about local food and dining. You're also welcome to talk to a HotBytes representative about paid advertising. Let's please keep the forum clear of unsolicited ad messages, though.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:26 pm

yeah, I'd love to have a discussion about all of those things, but let's have it here in the forum where it's open and everyone can chime in...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:49 am

RonnieD wrote:yeah, I'd love to have a discussion about all of those things, but let's have it here in the forum where it's open and everyone can chime in...

I have no problem with that, Ronnie. Just a gentle reminder that we don't want to see the forum become a haven for commercial self-promotion. I don't mind the gang talking about the issue at all. So go for it ...
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

by Stacy Roof » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:51 am

I highly recommend this article - it's the best summary I've seen:

To EMV or not to EMV?
That’s the question many restaurants are asking.
Deciding whether to invest in card-processing systems that accept credit and debit cards embedded with microchips – also known as EMV, or chip, cards -- is a hot topic in the restaurant world these days. Here’s why: Starting Oct. 1, 2015, merchants who haven’t invested in EMV-enabled equipment will be liable for fraudulent purchases made with a counterfeit credit or debit card.
If you’re like many restaurateurs, you may be having a hard time building a business case to take action to meet the EMV “liability shift.” Often, the numbers just can’t justify the time and cost it takes to implement the technology. As restaurants consider purchasing and installing EMV-enabled terminals, here are a few tips and pointers.
What’s EMV?
EMV or chip card technology, long used in Europe, makes it harder for criminals to produce counterfeit credit and debit cards.
Criminals known as “carders” take card numbers, often from hacked businesses, and make counterfeit cards using real account numbers. Counterfeiting remains easier in the United States because of outdated magnetic-stripe technology. EMV technology helps end this kind of fraud because retailers presented with an EMV card can run it through their readers to know it’s genuine.
Banks and card companies have begun rolling out EMV cards in the United States. Estimates for how quickly they'll roll out vary widely. The Aite Group last year estimated that 70 percent of credit cards and 41 percent of debit cards in use in the United States will be EMV-enabled by the end of this year. Javelin predicts 29 percent of credit cards and 17 percent of debit and prepaid cards will be EMV-enabled by the end of 2015.
Unlike in Europe and Canada, the card brands in the United States are only issuing EMV cards that require “chip and signature” authorization. It’s not clear when "chip and PIN" will arrive in the United States for EMV cards. Also, for the foreseeable future, the EMV cards that are being rolled out in the United States continue to carry the magnetic stripe. So even if you haven’t installed an EMV reader, you can still continue to take and process card payments just as you always have.
Know the facts
It’s important for restaurateurs to know the facts as the Oct. 1 liability-shift deadline approaches. Among the top things to remember:
• This is a choice. There’s no legal or regulatory requirement for merchants to install EMV readers or take action by Oct. 1. The card brands have simply modified their contracts to penalize those merchants that chose not to implement the technology – and the penalties happen only if a merchant is defrauded through the use of counterfeit or stolen cards. It is a business decision that each company must make.

• EMV may be a fix for a problem you don’t have. Counterfeit cards have primarily been a problem for high-end retailers, electronic stores and other retailers. Criminals use counterfeit cards to buy high-end goods and resell them on the black market for a quick and easy profit. Typically, carders and other criminals haven’t targeted restaurants. If you haven’t had a big problem, you may not need to make a change. If you see a growing problem after the October 2015 liability shift, you may want to reevaluate.

• Weigh the costs. To evaluate your potential liability, look at how many, if any, of your chargebacks are due to the use of counterfeit or stolen cards. If the numbers are low, it may be hard to justify the cost of EMV-enabled terminals. Even if you experience fraud, the cost of the chargeback may be far less than the cost of installing a new EMV reader, or fleet of readers. As you look at the expense of buying and installing EMV readers, consider whether you’re better offer investing in new technology that offers stronger protections, such as encryption and tokenization.

• Ask the right questions as you upgrade. As you upgrade your POS system, make sure the new system incorporates not only EMV technology, but also encryption and tokenization technologies. The NRA considers these technologies far more important for restaurants than EMV. Encryption technology immediately encrypts card data as it’s entered into the POS system, so it’s unintelligible even if it get stolen. Tokenization replaces stored card data with “tokens.” These tokens are unusable by hackers and have no value.

A growing number of vendors -- including NRA partner Heartland Payment Systems, which offers its “Heartland Secure” solution – are offering end-to-end encryption and tokenization technologies to scramble customer card data and protect it from the moment the card is swiped.
In short, EMV helps you deal with counterfeit cards, but encryption and tokenization will protect a restaurant from hacking and data breaches – and that’s a bigger threat to restaurants’ bottom line because it could subject you to huge fines from card companies, customer lawsuits and damage to your restaurant brand.

Visit Restaurant.org/PaymentsHQ for more information.
Stacy Roof
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:19 am

Another point that needs to be considered is that how this is be implemented in the United States is not the same way that it implemented in Europe. In Europe they have Chip and PIN but here it is only be implemented with the Chip, the PIN part of the equation is not being implemented. Without that the system is nowhere as near as secure as it is in Europe.

This is been highlighted in several articles written recently.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:15 pm

In addition to the other details, merchants might consider another factor. I spent a little more than a month earlier this year traveling in South America. Went to four countries and used my chip card multiple times a day. At no time did my card ever leave my sight. Everyone uses hand-held devices (unless it is at a cash register) that I inserted my card into briefly and printed a receipt. I got used to this routine REAL FAST and back in the U.S. am still uncomfortable giving my credit card to wait staff who walk off with it. It may (probably) be only psychological but I'm now as uncomfortable letting my card out of my sight as of letting my wallet out of my sight. If I knew a restaurant used such a system I would definitely favor going there over those that do not, if it was a close decision. It's just a vastly improved customer experience for me personally and I suspect a lot of people are going to take it for granted as the norm fairly quickly.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:05 pm

The restaurant.org article implied something someone at my bank confirmed to me when I was down there dealing with one of the four times my bank account has been cleaned out by hackers. In the absence of a government mandate it's cheaper for companies to eat fraud losses than invest in security.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:43 pm

Mark R. wrote:Another point that needs to be considered is that how this is be implemented in the United States is not the same way that it implemented in Europe. In Europe they have Chip and PIN but here it is only be implemented with the Chip, the PIN part of the equation is not being implemented. Without that the system is nowhere as near as secure as it is in Europe.

Actually without the combination of Chip and PIN, it is NOT secure, well it is as secure as now, which is not really all that secure. I have gotten up in restaurants and walked back toward where staff swipe cards and get the print outs for signature if my card is gone too long. Until we institute Chip AND PIN it will be the typical security theater. Readers are small and easily fit in an apron's pocket which can allow an unscrupulous waitperson to copy your card.

The real solution (putting on my tinfoil lined hat) is go on a cash economy so they can't track your spending. No credit card no fraud. (taking off tinfoil line hat) That is of course impractical. Of course I am still waiting for my LOCALLY OWNED BANK to implement Apple Pay. Yeah, I buy local via my bank too. Do you?

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 am

As others have said, without the PIN part, this is all practically not much better than what we had, and what we had is about as complicated to game as stealing candy from a baby.
no avatar
User

ZackEstes

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:14 am

by ZackEstes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:57 pm

Actually, either form of EMV (chip & signature or chip & pin) is a big upgrade from the current mag stripe system. All of the added security benefits of the EMV card is contained within the chip on the card. Chip & pin cards are designed to protect situations in which the card is lost or stolen.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:31 pm

ZackEstes wrote:Chip & pin cards are designed to protect situations in which the card is lost or stolen.

They also present a forged card from being used because without the pin you can't use the card! In reality for the sophisticated forgers duplicating a card with a chip in it isn't that much different than duplicating a card with a magnetic strip. Different technology but still readily achievable. I've yet to see a reason published why the addition of the pin isn't being done here. :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

ZackEstes

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:14 am

by ZackEstes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Chip cards are designed to protect against counterfeit/forged/duplicated cards. The microchip in the chip card generates a unique code for each POS transaction. If a fraudster were to steal the information from that transaction then that code would be useless to the fraudster for future transactions because that code cant be used again.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:31 am

That's not actually what the chips do, though it's a good "car analogy" level discussion. Unfortunately, the encrypted communication doesn't actually work off the "randomness" implied, and they're not that hard to clone. Since much of the US is doing "chip and sign" instead of "chip and pin," you'll be left, before it even gets adopted everywhere, with the same general issues as before.

http://inteller.solutions/?p=220