Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Taziki's

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Taziki's

by Richard S. » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:18 pm

15 posts and not one Rolling Stones joke?
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Do they not know it is spelt tzatziki? or is it just an anglo version as someone mentioned? Also, we used to make our own tzatziki in Crete when my brother and I had our restaurant and Dill does not go in tzatziki. Greek yoghurt, who grated cucumbers squeezed out lots of garlic and olive oil, that is it.
Alison Hanover
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Alison Hanover wrote:Do they not know it is spelt tzatziki? or is it just an anglo version as someone mentioned?

I thought maybe Taziki was just a Greek guy's name or nickname, unrelated to the sauce, but, no, google "Taziki" and you get nothing but hits on the chain.

My best guess is that they were going for a trademarkable name that would make people think of Tzatziki. Given that it's a fair-size corporation, I'd say that's more typical corporate think than just being stupid and wrong about something that's easy to look up.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:15 am

Robin Garr wrote:My best guess is that they were going for a trademarkable name that would make people think of Tzatziki. Given that it's a fair-size corporation, I'd say that's more typical corporate think than just being stupid and wrong about something that's easy to look up.

That's the same genius thought that gave the world SyFy instead of the Sci-Fi Channel.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:41 am

Ron H wrote:That's the same genius thought that gave the world SyFy instead of the Sci-Fi Channel.

I'll get back to you on that when I get to some stronger WyFy. :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:41 am

Ron H wrote:That's the same genius thought that gave the world SyFy instead of the Sci-Fi Channel.

I'll get back to you on that when I get to some stronger WyFy. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

ConnieBarlow

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:39 pm

by ConnieBarlow » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Can anyone comment on the skordalia? There or anywhere else in town? Still chasing the flavor and intensity I had in Greece.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 pm

ConnieBarlow wrote:Can anyone comment on the skordalia? There or anywhere else in town? Still chasing the flavor and intensity I had in Greece.

I thought the skordalia was the best part of the meal, but I doubt it was as good as what you had in Greece. It's a decent place to go, and they have a takeout window that looked quite popular and efficient. But I'm looking forward to trying Little Greek Restaurant!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:57 pm

I made it out to Taziki's earlier this evening. I had a City Saver coupon and was heading out to the area so I figured I'd check it out. My coupon was a buy one get one free so it was at least worth the risk.

First, as has already been discussed here, for those looking for a Greek experience don't get too excited. But generally speaking, the place was a cut above my expectations. It has a nice, warm ambiance that is more restaurant-like than a Qdoba or other such order-at-the-counter digs.

My son and I both had a chicken and a lamb giro with rice with one, and tomato-cucumber salad with the other (my 12 yr vegetarian run ended last summer). Everything was pretty well prepared. Somebody knew what they were doing as for creation and implementation of the food and operation. It is not a destination food joint, but it at least earned my respect for being a decent option when out in the area.

They also serve beer and wine--nothing too extraordinary and no retsina unfortunately.
James J. Natsis
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:08 am

James Natsis wrote:... no retsina unfortunately.

Good report, thanks! Though I don't know that I've ever heard anyone utter your words above.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:53 am

Jay M. wrote:

Good report, thanks! Though I don't know that I've ever heard anyone utter your words above.

I still can't understand why the management had to put me in my place when I yelled out to send me over an ouzo while I grabbed a few plates and started my first steps of a sirtaki dance. Dang, a couple of the other customers were even pulling out dollar bills to throw at me!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:01 pm

Jay M. wrote:

I used to think that until we lived in Astoria, Queens, the largest Greek city in the world outside Athens (except that Melbourne, Australia, begs to differ). There was a great Taverna on just about every corner, and it didn't take us long to learn that Retsina actually goes with Greek dishes. It has to be fresh, though.

That experience has turned me off of Louisville "Greek" forever. :cry:
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jay M. wrote:

I used to think that until we lived in Astoria, Queens, the largest Greek city in the world outside Athens (except that Melbourne, Australia, begs to differ). There was a great Taverna on just about every corner, and it didn't take us long to learn that Retsina actually goes with Greek dishes. It has to be fresh, though.

That experience has turned me off of Louisville "Greek" forever. :cry:

That's right, Robin. Retsina was create for one purpose--to compliment Greek food. It also induces a nice nap following a heavy Greek afternoon lunch!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:14 am

A.J.'s in Georgetown. Best gyro's in the area and they offer a baklava flurry. Unfortunately they are closed until March. She said they would be open during the winter but looks like that didn't work out.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:15 am

neal.johnson wrote:A.J.'s in Georgetown. Best gyro's in the area and they offer a baklava flurry. Unfortunately they are closed until March. She said they would be open during the winter but looks like that didn't work out.

Second.
Previous