Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

W.W. Cousins gets a "C"

no avatar
User

Mark A.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

W.W. Cousins gets a "C"

by Mark A. » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:48 am

Stopped by our favorite burger place yesterday. The big red "C" on the door. We ventured in and I asked the clerk behind the counter about the new rating. She didn't know anything and said it was her first day on the job. So I asked for the manager and she disappeared and after a few minutes no one showed so we left. Hope they fix whatever is wrong.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: W.W. Cousins gets a "C"

by TP Lowe » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:29 am

As discussed on the board in the past, probably better a "C" than a "B."
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:59 am

I just ate there the evening of July 7th. They were using styrofoam containers rather than the normal bowls. But that's the only off thing I noticed. The C rating was apparently given the next day according to http://portal.louisvilleky.gov/applicat ... tionScores. So maybe the health department thought they needed to fix their dishwasher faster or something?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:10 am

Yes, the system is a little bit broken. A "C" often reflects a "critical violation," something that went wrong, often can be promptly remedied, but under the system requires the face-slap of a week-long "A of Shame" before the inspector comes back for a re-do.

Frankly, a "B" worries me a little more because it hints at a regular pattern of letting things slide.

Of course there is also the hypothesis that a "C" may result from failure to notice an inspector's extended palm, but surely that would never happen in our metro! 8)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:04 pm

I'm more concerned that the manager vanished with no explanation. That seems very shady to me. Fess up, explain the C and then put the customer's mind at ease. Don't hide in the back and hope they go away, that makes me suspect similar behavior is likely what happened to cause the violation in the first place.

"Hey, the cooler went out and all the burger is teeming with flies. Go get the manager and ask what we should do." <tumbleweed rolls by> "Well, I guess we serve it. Gotta keep food cost low."

Frankly any restaurant with an open bar of condiments and toppings like that is begging for a number of health code violations unless you just post an employee out there to be the monitor.

LOVE W.W. Cousins, but I've always felt it was a little dingy.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:42 pm

RonnieD wrote:, but I've always felt it was a little dingy.

That's how we felt when we went there and why we haven't returned. We were used to going to Fuddruckers before moving here which is what the concept of WW cousins is based on but they were always bright and welcoming instead of dingy. I know a lot of people like going there but because of the atmosphere we haven't been back.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:26 am

RonnieD wrote: dingy.

First off let's stop using pejorative words to describe places. We'll be in another NC fight right here in river city.
<SNORT>

Robin, as I understand and have experienced the LMHD exams, you don't get a letter lower for constant or repeated bad inspections. You can get an A or a B or a C or be shut down in any visit. The B hangs around for 6 months tho, between visits. That is the one I look at with the hairy eyeball (pejorative phrase) most. A C can be chicken shelved over washed lettuce in the cooler and immediately fixed by moving the chicken and throwing out the lettuce. A week to 10 days later you get another inspection and hopefully the C goes away.

I agree with Ronnie, that if you get a C and are asked, admit the mistake, take ownership, let the customer know what you did and that you have corrected it. Are sorry for it. Walking away and not returning to explain is bad customer service.

Which WW Cousins was this? There are two, you know.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.