Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: CJ goes negative! 1 1/2 stars for Rumor's ...

by James Natsis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:48 pm

Places such as Pat's STEAKhouse, Coal's PIZZA, Gigi's CUPCAKES, BUFFALO Wild WINGS, etc., make a clear commitment to a specific specialty. Rumors--not so obvious.

As I see it, a simple random review of the menu gives no clear indication of a specialty--general seafood? wings? sandwiches? ...not really sure. So, my vote goes for "all items are fair game."
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:18 pm

I think this sums up how most people feel about the review.

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:15 am

I think this is going to be one of those situations where Rumors has such a large, loyal following that her review won't even phase their numbers. Rumors has built up a business primarily based on " wings, oysters, friendly service, we remember your name, we ask about your grand kids, the beer is cold, there won't be any nasty surprises." While it isn't culinary nirvana it IS what a large portion of the population wants. It's simple, it's neighborhood and it sure as heck seems to work. Personally I go there when I want raw oysters and cold beer. They always deliver. But if I want anything else I will go elsewhere. (Shrugging) her review does nothing to my attitude about the restaurant.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:54 am

Carla G wrote:I think this is going to be one of those situations where Rumors has such a large, loyal following that her review won't even phase their numbers. Rumors has built up a business primarily based on " wings, oysters, friendly service, we remember your name, we ask about your grand kids, the beer is cold, there won't be any nasty surprises." While it isn't culinary nirvana it IS what a large portion of the population wants. It's simple, it's neighborhood and it sure as heck seems to work. Personally I go there when I want raw oysters and cold beer. They always deliver. But if I want anything else I will go elsewhere. (Shrugging) her review does nothing to my attitude about the restaurant.

Well stated!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:16 am

Mile long menus are annoying and are generally a big red flag for me. I like Rumors. It's the only oyster, shrimp cold beer I can get around here that won't cost me my mortgage payment.

That said I liked the honesty of this review. Now I am perplexed at the writer (did she think she was going to some high end place?) she should have known about Rumors (is she from here?). But I do appreciate a reviewer not tip toeing around the fact she didn't like it. We have too much "Louisville love" going on. I love locals too (more than most) but just because it's local doesn't mean it's AMAZING OMG THE BEST EVER FOODIE CITY HEAD EXPLODES WOW ZOOMG.

Homer reviews feed the "overrated" theme. Local music reviews are 10,000x worse.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:41 am

I agree Adam, just a bit confused about the whole nature of the review. I think the restaurant started out simply then started adding "also haves" to meet the wants of other diners. ("But Aunt Nan is allergic to shellfish!") and in all the muddle lost sight of their strengths.

You make a good point however Adam - somewhere along the line we lost sight of constructive criticism. Perhaps Robin hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the CJ not wanting to offend potential advertisers.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:54 pm

Weird thing is that if the CJ was afraid to offend potential advertisers (and I wouldn't be surprised if this were true) they would get more eyes on the page with honest, knowledgeable critique. Sometimes that honesty can sting especially when the food is legitimately bad and since we are so accustomed to I LOVE EVERYTHING IN LOUISVILLE OMG FOODIE a little honesty might cause a nuclear war haha
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Adam C wrote:a little honesty might cause a nuclear war haha

Norton Commons? :oops:
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Norton Commons? :oops:

I will say, though, that thread (and your quoted post above) exhibted some serious talent and command of the font thingie in this software. I mean colors, sizes, typeface - it had it all! Impressive.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:10 pm

Adam C wrote:Weird thing is that if the CJ was afraid to offend potential advertisers (and I wouldn't be surprised if this were true) they would get more eyes on the page with honest, knowledgeable critique. Sometimes that honesty can sting especially when the food is legitimately bad and since we are so accustomed to I LOVE EVERYTHING IN LOUISVILLE OMG FOODIE a little honesty might cause a nuclear war haha

Do you mean more newspapers sold? Yeah, I can see that. But as far as the CJ making money they simply look at advertising dollars. As far basing advertising costs on the number of eyes on the page print hasn't really been doing that for a long time. At least locally they have morphed towards a " what the market will bear " pricing instead.
Robin Garr wrote:
Adam C wrote:a little honesty might cause a nuclear war haha

Norton Commons? :oops:

I did not say that! I did not say that. I thought it but I did not say it. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Her new review for Harvest is posted, but I can't access it since my free CJ time is up. 3.5 stars, I assume?
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:11 pm

SilvioM wrote:Her new review for Harvest is posted, but I can't access it since my free CJ time is up. 3.5 stars, I assume?

Four
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:31 pm

SilvioM wrote:my free CJ time is up.

Try finding it on Twitter and click through. It should let you in. :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Here's a link to the CJ's 4-star review. It's relentlessly positive, of course.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /30180589/
Previous