Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

JerryZegart

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Norton Commons

Re: New urbanism, same old Chinese

by JerryZegart » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:46 pm

I'll start with where I left off "My issue and the issue for others has always been the use of the word "creepy" by a journalist who one would not expect to see that type of language originate from. Because of some trying to cover up for him and an apparent lack of knowledge as to what Norton Commons is, the who thing has blossomed to a much bigger discussion than is necessary."

The school and what you may hear I am sure our interesting to you, but only create more words away from the main subject at hand. They however have absolutely nothing to do with Garr's inappropriate unprofessional "creepy" comment. That is the issue and as a public person and journalist he is held to higher standard.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:26 pm

JerryZegart wrote:I'll start with where I left off "My issue and the issue for others has always been the use of the word "creepy"

In fairness, the place wasn't called "creepy". The quote was that NC "feels both appealing and a little creepy all at the same time". A bit more neutral than you are making it out to be.

I'm curious about your other post in which you stated that NC and such communities are where "the poor and the wealthy may find places to live". I continue to be curious about your socioeconomic diversity comment and if, in fact, many "poor" families actually live in NC. Any percentages or statistics?

I will add that my street in the Highlands isn't particularly diverse in socioeconomic measures. Then again, I would never make such a claim.
no avatar
User

lori.tummonds

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:17 am

by lori.tummonds » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:21 am

I think people who spend time in forums bashing peoples' neighborhoods seem a little creepy, but I live in Norton Commons so maybe it's my "Stepford" brain telling me to say that...
User

JerryZegart

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Norton Commons

by JerryZegart » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:31 am

[quote SilvioM: In fairness, the place wasn't called "creepy". The quote was that NC "feels both appealing and a little creepy all at the same time". A bit more neutral than you are making it out to be.[/quote]

Really good try SilvioM, but doesn't fly! It's like saying she's a "little pregnant." The use of the word "creepy" describing Norton Commons had no journalistic purpose in being in a professional restaurant review of Tea Station.

adj. creep·i·er, creep·i·est Informal
1. Of or producing a sensation of uneasiness or fear, as of things crawling on one's skin: a creepy feeling; a creepy story.
2. Annoyingly unpleasant; repulsive: the creepy kids next door.

Let's put little in front of the definition of creepy....
1. Little producing a sensation of uneasiness or fear, as of things crawling on one's skin: a creepy feeling; a creepy story.
2. Little Annoyingly unpleasant; repulsive: the creepy kids next door.[/color][/size]
[/b][/i]

Would you like your home described that way? Does it make any sense in the context of the review?

As to your second question about the socioeconomics in Norton Commons. That only takes us off the creepy course again, which going forward from yesterday I stated will remain my center of focus since it is the core issue. I do not work for Norton Commons and do not have official access to that data. As I also said it is a melting pot and I've never seen anyone greet or shun anyone because of their income or where they live, which I suspect you might see in other commnuities. My enthusiasm for where I live has been seen incorrectly by some here as me trying to sell it. Not at all...It sells itself very well without my help. 10 homes to over 1,000 units over the last 10 years speaks volumes for that!

Let's stay focused on the why I even bothered to login to this thread again after years of silence...Robin's inappropriate use of the word creepy as a journalist describing Norton Commons in a restaurant review of Tea Station Bistro. Frankly I am done here. I've made my point and unless an apology is forthcoming from Robin there is nothing else to discuss. My absence of future comment here is because frankly I've tuned this out again. There is nothing more to say.

My offer to take anyone for a personal tour still stands. If you are going to comment on an area, you should at least take the time to get to know the facts.

Hopefully I will see some of you today at Apron, another cause that I am very passionate about. In the scale of things it is much more important than what we discuss here. It fills an important void and helps people in their time of need. It's almost time, so turn off your computer and get over to the Olmsted at 1:00 and let's support something where we can all make an important difference in others lives.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:45 am

Calling NC creepy is neither unprofessional nor inappropriate. It's the personal opinion of someone who's paid to express his subjective opinion.
no avatar
User

JeffD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Louisville

by JeffD » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:05 am

I don't find that when one feels a sense of creepiness that it is because they need to be educated about something. My experience is that feeling creepy about something is well,... a feeling. Wife and I often visit NC for dining and driving around and have watched the neighborhood grow over the years. We generally find it quite charming but we also always find it just a little creepy too. I don't think its because of lack of education that we both feel this way though and after reading Jerry's inflamed defense of the place I must say it now adds to the creepiness - or perhaps weird charm of the place. When we have visitors in town we also often take them to the area to see the beautiful houses, the planned business setting, and again to dine (we like to do that) and without fail, our friends also comment on the planned "X-Files" or "Twilight Zone" feeling they get but in a good way. I don't think they are stupid either or have to live in the area to know more about it. it's just a feeling and we all smile an proceed to enjoy it too. We'll be back to enjoy the place especially Verbena and we'll also joke to each other that something sinister or perhaps science fiction like might just be around the next common. :?
Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you. ..... Butch Cassidy
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:49 pm

JerryZegart wrote:Would you like your home described that way?

I'd get over it.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:29 pm

JerryZegart wrote:...and Robin I am sure this will all disappear into the vapor but copies have been saved.

This is not fair.

Anyone who is a long term visitor to this site knows that I disagree with many of Robin's views. In fact, I believe that he suffers many prejudices and blind spots. But, he has never 86ed any of my posts, or anyone else's that I know of. He pretty much let's folks have their say.

As a host of an Internet forum, I have zero complaints about Robin.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Steve H wrote: In fact, I believe that he suffers many prejudices and blind spots.

Why, you little ... I ought to so delete this post! :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the testimony, Steve. I appreciate it, and I mean all parts of it.

Now, sitting back to shut up again, with my popcorn.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:16 am

:lol:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:41 am

It seems that the supersized fonts in red won't stop until Robin moves to Norton Commons. Robin, need a real estate agent referral?!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:07 am

TP Lowe wrote:It seems that the supersized fonts in red won't stop until Robin moves to Norton Commons. Robin, need a real estate agent referral?!

I'm trying to avoid snarking in this thread, TP. I'd rather leave it as it is, so whenever folks Google "Norton Commons," they'll be directed to this thread and can read the words of the NC real-estate guy and draw their own conclusions with no nudging.

It's tempting to use a little SEO to move this page up the NC search results, though. :mrgreen:
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm trying to avoid snarking in this thread, TP. I'd rather leave it as it is, so whenever folks Google "Norton Commons," they'll be directed to this thread and can read the words of the NC real-estate guy and draw their own conclusions with no nudging.

It's tempting to use a little SEO to move this page up the NC search results, though. :mrgreen:

I know, right? And to think this started with the greatest trolling restaurant review evah! Took hook, line and sinker.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 am

After seeing today's new post about another chain (Raising Cane) coming to our neighborhood [the Highlands], I have to say score one for Norton Commons. They seem to have mostly if not entirely local businesses including restaurants.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:58 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:After seeing today's new post about another chain (Raising Cane) coming to our neighborhood [the Highlands], I have to say score one for Norton Commons. They seem to have mostly if not entirely local businesses including restaurants.

Good point! That is fair, and thanks for pointing it out, Lonnie.
PreviousNext