Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Restaurant Ideas

no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: Restaurant Ideas

by juan.molina » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:05 pm

I do not know Doug or Dustin or anyone else. But if what Doug says is true and he had the money to invest he might be right about these other guys being arrogant.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:09 pm

It seems like he had a good idea about the paletas. I want to try one from the dessert truck now. I go to Las Gorditas and pay $3 for an elote that is out of the can so I'd pay $3.50 for paleta.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:08 am

Doug Davis wrote:
Steve H wrote:Y'all are piling on Doug a little.

You'll also notice where they failed to take note of the fact I dont live in Louisville anymore which is why I didnt put the concepts into production. But why should a few local cooks with a failed ramen business (or who thought I was awesome when they were wanting investors for META) worry about facts when their egos are involved? So much easier to make fun of the silly name I created.

Leah S wrote:So, Doug,
I added paletas to my menu and they've been selling reasonably well. I don't see anyone paying $3-$4 for them though. Did about 80 last week. So far I've added chipotle mango, lemon-mint-blueberry (an ice version and a crema) lime crema with graham cracker crumbs on the outside, blackberry lemon balm and strawberry. The strawberry was by far the best seller, closely followed by the blackberry and lime crema.

Still experimenting with the idea.

Glad to hear it.
Our new community does a Food truck Friday event every other Friday. A couple of locals have set up a push cart with some interesting flavors. They are charging $3 a pop and sell out nearly every time. Glad its working out for you!

I never failed to notice that. And I will take complete offense at the implication that "ego is involved" here. In fact, I responded specifically because you no longer live in louisville. I think dropping your pearls of wisdom, with zero skin in the game, a failed business and absolutely zero experience in the restaurant industry is completely rude, cocky, and insulting; particularly when you can't even handle a healthy debate about the merits of your suggestions of what Louisville "needs."

Those "local cooks" you are talking about aren't morons. And if to you a hired hand is a moron, I'll do you one better. I'm a business owner. A good one, and your ideas, are novelties. And extremely short sighted novelties.

As for your completely inappropriate comment about me approaching you as an investor? A mutual friend suggested that you would be interested, I reached out with a confidential investment opportunity, you expressed interest, asked me to keep in touch after some personal travels and then never responded. To throw that in my face on a public forum? Wow. Thank god you didn't invest in Meta. I have a group of people who I love and am happy to try to share in any wealth we can eventually build. Your response shows zero class, whatsoever. Enjoy Florida, Jerkoff.

For the record- At no point did I think you were "awesome." I'm not sure how you do business in general, but you might learn a little discretion. You come off as arrogant, rude, and frankly, terrible.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:24 am

Jeremy is correct, it is wrong of Doug to put any private business in public. It sounds like a Mexican drug war in this thread all about food ideas and paletas :lol:
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:33 am

It's a sad day when grown men are arguing about popsicles on food forum. :lol:
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

by GriffinPaulin » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:38 am

I don't mean to bring this completely ignorant thread back to light, but, Doug, I felt it necessary to say:

You are a complete cock, who clearly knows nothing about the restaurant industry.

If you're so CERTAIN one of your ideas would kill, you're so ready to invest, then make it happen!!!!

Otherwise, shut up, because (as many industry veterans have noted), it's not as easy as you think. An idea is just an idea. Wait until they start slaughtering you on Yelp!, The health inspector shows up, your hood goes out, your employees quit with no notice, etc.

It's easy to know how to make money, until it's time to make money.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Well, I'm here on third st trying to sell paletas. Just sayin'.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Keep it civil, guys ... :shock:
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:16 am

by DustinStaggers » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:02 pm

I don't know Doug from some random dude on the street but I find it highly comical from afar that he would have any business judging any of us who have put our dollars and lives into this.

Open up all of your concepts brother and then you can come on here and tell us how we fail at our businesses or put people on blast for personal business relations with them. Makes you come off as a pompous asshole. I'll tell you the same to your face if you actually lived in the city where you're telling people to open your genius ideas.

Lastly I second everything that Griffin and Johnson said. Go away.
Dustin Staggers
Owner-Roux, Epic Sammich Co, America. The Diner, Ten Tables
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DustinStaggers » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 am

All about any proposing ideas on here but when Doug starts "slinging mud," bashing "cooks" with failed businesses and putting people's financial dealings on blast, that crosses the line. You seemed to leave that part out of your rhetoric about our arrogance, you know, the original reason any of us even responded to this post in the first place.

If the responses from those people including me (harsh blasphemous words like asshole) really offend you then so be it. Having my restaurant dealings bashed by someone that doesn't even live here deserved way more in my opinion.
Last edited by DustinStaggers on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dustin Staggers
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DustinStaggers » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:29 am

Lastly, if defending my businesses that I poured my entire life savings and time into makes me arrogant, maybe we have different definitions of the word. Definitions seem to be pretty set in stone though.

don't give me that, "i don't know the restaurant business shit" because i do, more than you'll ever know. SMH

We are arrogant????
Dustin Staggers
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:31 pm

I got a mixed berry paleta from the louisville dessert truck and it was delicious. $3 well spent. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:47 pm

Annemarie M wrote:and don't give me that, "i don't know the restaurant business shit" because i do, more than you'll ever know. SMH

What Restaurant have you run?

You probably don't know that you are the reason many people don't come here. I've heard it a billion times. Nobody wants to see that grief. Doug too. Air your opinions, talk it out- but don't make a gunfight out of a slapfight.

PS> The spacing is bugged on the program- excuse me if it reads a bit funny.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:15 pm

Stephen D wrote:You probably don't know that you are the reason many people don't come here.

Well, she's been on hiatus for ages, so please spread the word. After re-reading this current flurry, I think it's time to lower the boom. BOOM! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:13 am

Iggy C wrote:I got a mixed berry paleta from the louisville dessert truck and it was delicious. $3 well spent. Thanks!

Thanks! Central Park or Fandom?
PreviousNext