Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

gary.matheis

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Restaurant Space Available in Baxter Avenue

by gary.matheis » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:23 pm

User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Restaurant Space Available in Baxter Avenue

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:32 am

With three restaurants failed (HT downtown, HT Shanghai, HT Shack), two miscarried (Billy Box and Galettes), and one yet to materialize (HT Portland), I'm beginning to think Chef Louis is a better chef and visionary than businessman. I guess that's, sadly, actually a pretty common story, now that I think about it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:24 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:With three restaurants failed (HT downtown, HT Shanghai, HT Shack), two miscarried (Billy Box and Galettes), and one yet to materialize (HT Portland), I'm beginning to think Chef Louis is a better chef and visionary than businessman. I guess that's, sadly, actually a pretty common story, now that I think about it.

I feel kind of bad about agreeing with that, but it's hard to see any kinder way to put it, Jeff. :(
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:47 am

Well, to be fair, I think Hillbilly Tea closed due to the renovations messing up their ability to find parking, and Hillbilly Tea Shack isn't big enough to have a kitchen, so they were bringing food in from Hillbilly Tea, and without that kitchen, I imagine it's hard to keep food coming. As for Shanghai, dumb idea is dumb.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:52 pm

I almost want to venture that this space is cursed. Anyone who travels that section of Baxter Ave on a regular basis know that there has been at least 3 or 4 other concepts in that space over the last dozen years or so. I am sure there is a laundry list of reasons as to why each of them failed, but it can't be lack of business on one of the most heavily traveled sections of road in this town.
Alejandro Magallanez
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:05 pm

I'd LOVE to make a go at that space. It seems like it has everything you want, except space. So it would take a really perfect concept to fit it. Seems like a great challenge.

Too bad my finances are in the "paying off massive amounts of debt" stage and not the "accept new challenges" stage... :(
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY