Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Raw Peanuts??

no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Raw Peanuts??

by Tony G » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Is there any place in Jeff. Co that sells raw peanuts? We just got back from S Carolina and I binged on boiled peanuts. I am addicted. Kroger has pre packaged ones but I want a lot of them. Like a bin that you scoop out how much you want. Any ideas?
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Raw Peanuts??

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Any place with bulk foods may have them. Whole Foods, EarthFare, Lucky's, Rainbow Blossom, Fresh Market are some.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:47 pm

Feeder's Supply stores have them in giant packaging (40 or 50 pounds), primarily for wildlife feeding, I think. You might want to check whether they're rated for human consumption, but if so, you can get enough there to open your own roadside boiled peanut stand. :)
User

Paul T Carney

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 08, 2007 12:08 pm

by Paul T Carney » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:48 pm

Just ran across this post...the difficulty in finding peanuts for boiling is not in finding "raw" peanuts. ...you have to use "green" peanuts. That means uncooked, in-shell and fresh. They stale pretty quickly. Those you'll find at Feeder's Supply or such are raw but dried. I've never been able to find green peanuts here ( I get my sister to send them to me)....if you find a local source, let me know!
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
– Terry Pratchett
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Paul T Carney wrote:Just ran across this post...the difficulty in finding peanuts for boiling is not in finding "raw" peanuts. ...you have to use "green" peanuts. That means uncooked, in-shell and fresh. They stale pretty quickly. Those you'll find at Feeder's Supply or such are raw but dried. I've never been able to find green peanuts here ( I get my sister to send them to me)....if you find a local source, let me know!

I will trust the advice of almost anyone that quotes Terry Pratchett. :wink:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:49 am

Tony G wrote:...boiled peanuts. I am addicted.

Same here. I grew up in Georgia and would feast on them regularly. We move to KY no one has ever heard of them haha.. Last time I was down south (KY is not really the south to me but that's another post) I bought some at a road stand, took them to Nachbar and ate them with an almost frozen Pabst Blue Ribbon and it was heaven. If you find a good source for the raw please post!
User

Paul T Carney

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Paul T Carney » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:12 am

I've been tempted to start a side business selling boiled peanuts as a seasonal treat (for those in the know). Or maybe we should just start a consortium of right-minded folks and get a whole bunch of green peanuts for ourselves.
I've priced them few places online. You can get a bushel (approx. 30 lbs) of green peanuts for $40-$50. And, to go back a bit on my previous post, you can just get dried peanuts and boil them; it is cheaper, but you have to boil them longer and the flavor is more bland . . .
You can also order boiled peanuts, which I have done in a moment of desperation. I got 'em from these foloks: http://www.peanutguy.com/
They were worth every penny . . .
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
– Terry Pratchett
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi all,

I'm a Kentuckian by way of Chicago. I've noticed all the Boiled Peanuts signs when traveling south of here, but I've never tried them. What do they actually taste like, other than peanuts...? Are they crunchy or soft?

Thanks,

Doug
User

Paul T Carney

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Paul T Carney » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:52 pm

Doug,
Like all miracles, boiled peanuts are hard to describe.
No, it's really in the realm of "it tastes like what it is". The boiling brings out the legume quality in the peanut, so less the sharp, roasted flavor you might typically think of, more of a bean smoothness. They're typically made pretty salted up; sometimes, especially where I'm from (southern Louisiana), they're given a spicy kick as well.
The real test for a lot of people is the texture. They're soft. Usually not lima bean soft, retaining a little crunch when they're boiled right, but soft.
So, you split the soggy shell, slurp the brine out, and pop these semi-soft salty nuggets into your mouth, and you get the beany, umami, ever-so-slightly-sweet taste . . . and then, if you get religion, you eat another and another and another. Or not.
Me? I love them, and miss them like I miss pink-eye purple-hull field peas . . . but that's another post . . .
– Terry Pratchett
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Doug W wrote:What do they actually taste like, other than peanuts...? Are they crunchy or soft?

My experience is limited, but I got a paper bag full from a roadside stand in rural Mississippi once, and I thought they tasted like salty but otherwise rather bland boiled white beans. I ate the bag driving along the blue highways, but was never tempted to get another.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:06 pm

Personally, I think they're nasty.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:54 pm

I like them. They remind me of mashed potatoes a bit. They aren't mind-blowing, but I have warm associations of them with summer idleness and Buffalo Rock ginger ale and road trips to Florida. My teenage cousin once ruined his car by carelessly discarding the shells under the seat -- a cherished family memory. It wasn't the worst smell in the world, but it was immediately identifiable as boiled peanut shells, and it never went away.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Doug W wrote:What do they actually taste like, other than peanuts...? Are they crunchy or soft?

My experience is limited, but I got a paper bag full from a roadside stand in rural Mississippi once, and I thought they tasted like salty but otherwise rather bland boiled white beans. I ate the bag driving along the blue highways, but was never tempted to get another.

When we lived in Anderson South Carolina there were quite a few places around that sold them. Neither my wife nor I were ever very enthralled by them, even though she grew up in the South. They kind of tasted like slimy bland beans without much flavor. We would both much rather have roasted peanuts.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:31 pm

I see signs for them at Louisville gas stations all the time. The main one that comes to mind is at the corner of Bardstown Rd and Breckenridge Lane.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:28 pm

I've had boiled peanuts at Garage Bar. They still list them on the menu.
Next