Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Three CJ stars for Captain's Quarters

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:45 pm

Stephen D wrote:That's it.

Um ... it's that kind of an apples-to-oranges thing, though? Let's say that a review runs in the CJ and 100 people see it ;) , and a review runs on HotBytes/LEO and 100,000 people see it, and a lot of them go to the restaurant. The restaurateur will never know where they came from unless the diners happen to mention it.

On the other hand, if you put Open Table on your website and 75 people use it, you'll KNOW where those 75 came from. But that doesn't exactly show that Open Table is influential, only that it's a great way to run reservations without having to do much work. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:16 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Stephen D wrote:That's it.

Um ... it's that kind of an apples-to-oranges thing, though? Let's say that a review runs in the CJ and 100 people see it ;) , and a review runs on HotBytes/LEO and 100,000 people see it, and a lot of them go to the restaurant. The restaurateur will never know where they came from unless the diners happen to mention it.

On the other hand, if you put Open Table on your website and 75 people use it, you'll KNOW where those 75 came from. But that doesn't exactly show that Open Table is influential, only that it's a great way to run reservations without having to do much work. :mrgreen:

Those are some funny numbers!

:lol:

I can find the nearest Korean Restaurant simply by talking into my phone. I can look at reviews, make a reservation and call the restaurant to make sure I have a bottle of bubbly on the table when I get there.

Print media can't do this for you.

Do I trust Robin Garr or (Suzie Q?) I trust Robin, but I don't get to see your take on the place unless I work at it.

It's the new model of print vs digital media. And that's the issue- the 'paint the town mentality' of print media may just lead to the demise of the format. Who bought the Washington Post?

Go ahead and google it.

:mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:31 am

Stephen D wrote:Print media can't do this for you. ... It's the new model of print vs digital media. And that's the issue- the 'paint the town mentality' of print media may just lead to the demise of the format.

Errrr ... you may not have noticed this, Stephen, but HotBytes IS digital media. :roll:
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:36 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Stephen D wrote:Print media can't do this for you. ... It's the new model of print vs digital media. And that's the issue- the 'paint the town mentality' of print media may just lead to the demise of the format.

Errrr ... you may not have noticed this, Stephen, but HotBytes IS digital media. :roll:

But I wasn't talking about HotBytes- I was talking about CJ, Leo, etc...

And not you and me and everyone here. It's the other 99% of the population I'm thinking about.

EDIT: This also seems to be an opportunity for you to make more money, to me. If food writers could negotiate a royalty deal with companies like opentable- the checks would continue coming based upon clicks. That's a good idea.

:D
Previous