Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Three CJ stars for Captain's Quarters

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:30 pm

I think we're really off on two separate tracks here:

1. Is the food and service at CQ any good? I think everyone agrees that the mood, the scene is good. But we seem to have a division about whether food quality, service and value are up to the standard 3-star rating. (For the record, I do think so.)

2. Irrespective of that finding, is the review weird? I leave that one open to discussion.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:03 pm

Clearly, everyone on the other side of the window was having more fun. On the next visit, we'll put up with the heat and sit outside so that we don't feel like insiders looking out at all the fun.

Poor Alex.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:37 pm

SilvioM wrote:Clearly, everyone on the other side of the window was having more fun. On the next visit, we'll put up with the heat and sit outside so that we don't feel like insiders looking out at all the fun.

Poor Alex.

I certainly thought that was one of the strangest parts of the review! I don't understand why she would go someplace where it the atmosphere is the most important part of a visit and not partake of the best atmosphere possible.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adam D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 am

by Adam D » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:53 pm

We went a while back for the Mother's Day brunch and everyone in our large party was quite satisfied. The only draw backs we had were that the large crowd for Mother's Day made getting an omelette/waffle from the chef's station quite a feat. Also, every time a refill batch of fried chicken came out it was swooped down on by ravenous patrons and gone within a minute.

I thoroughly enjoyed the seafood offerings on the buffet. I think I basically just filled up on peel n eat shrimp, smoked salmon, and seafood linguine (all were excellent). My wife gushed over the breakfast items like the biscuits and gravy and hash browns.

Probably the best brunch I've had here in Louisville and only second to the Biltmore's breakfast/brunch buffet.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:31 am

I might give them another chance, I trust the people on this forum. I just remember the last time i went there, my meal was so unremarkable I just felt that it was not worth returning, not with so many other great restaurants in the city. Might have just caught them on a particularly bad night.

In college, we used to go there every sunday night for the late night scene. So I have given them enough of my hard earned money to last a lifetime, whether I return for another meal or not. :D
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:35 pm

Anybody remember when Captains Quarters was run by Ennis Mahon (sp?) and was very fancy? Jumbo lobster tails, great steaks, music. Oh well, at least they use live music. I've played there and it was a blast.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Linda C wrote:Anybody remember when Captains Quarters was run by Ennis Mahon (sp?) and was very fancy? Jumbo lobster tails, great steaks, music. Oh well, at least they use live music. I've played there and it was a blast.

I remember the Mahons, and I remember how nice it was even before all the later additions. I mostly remember drinking there, though. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:47 pm

I, too, ate at Captain's Quarters for the Mother's Day brunch. I don't recall having to wait for my omelette. (I passed on the waffle and roast beef.) I have eaten Sunday brunch once then. I think it is fabulous. Definitely, one of the better brunch buffets in town. The fried chicken is to "die for" and I usually pass on fried chicken. I'm also fond of the biscuits and gravy. It is my understanding that CQ has both a new manager and a new executive chef.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Here's the real issue:

Open Table produces more guests than CJ, Leo and whoever else combined.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:50 pm

I worked at the "old" Captains Quarters when Mrs. Mahon ran things. Ennis ran the bar, but Mrs. Mahon was the consummate restaurateur and a unbelievably hard worker. Charles was the chef, and drove a big Pink Convertible Cadillac. He would get his drink on as the night wore on and I would have to leave my prep, dishwashing station and hit the grill and broiler to help out. Great speakeasy feel about the place, good jazz, and good fish, though the ladies who worked in the kitchen would bring Buffalo Carp from the Ohio River and fry it up. One of the best fried fish I've ever had, but you had to eat it with your fingers to avoid the endless bones. Fun times. Mrs. Mahon has been a customer at Shady Lane for many years until recently ( I think she is ill ) A beauty at ninety..she still oozes refinement and grace. My heart is always at that version of Captains Quarters. It, along with just a dozen or so restaurants.. were about all we had in the way of fine dining back in the day. But with the Pine Room and Captains Quarters, and the lights on the river...what else did you need for a romantic (drinking) evening.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:10 pm

Dotty Mahon was a dear friend of mine. I am sad to say that she has passed.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:15 pm

I am so sorry to here of her passing. I try my hardest to check the obits every day and missed it. She was a fine woman, and I will miss her charm and kindness. Sorry for your loss as well.
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:23 am

Stephen D wrote:Here's the real issue:

Open Table produces more guests than CJ, Leo and whoever else combined.

Can you explain more? Why is that an issue?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:03 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Can you explain more? Why is that an issue?

I took it to mean that more reservations come in from Open Table, which the restaurant provides as a link for reservations, than from people who say "I want to make a reservation because I saw the review in the CJ."
:lol:
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Can you explain more? Why is that an issue?

I took it to mean that more reservations come in from Open Table, which the restaurant provides as a link for reservations, than from people who say "I want to make a reservation because I saw the review in the CJ."
:lol:

That's it.
PreviousNext