Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

"Whole Paycheck"

no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

"Whole Paycheck"

by Steve P » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:56 am

Apparently there is very good reason the nickname for Whole Foods is "Whole Paycheck". :roll:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NY ... er=nbcnews
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: "Whole Paycheck"

by Carla G » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:27 am

(Shrugs)
I've been finding most of everything I need/want at Trader Joe's and I feel pretty good about supporting them. (Other than the local fruit/vegetables and Kentucky Proud stuff I buy.)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:01 am

I don't think Whole Foods is for everybody, and that's all right. The CEO is indeed a weapons-grade AH, and there's a real ethical dilemma in its price levels that put quality out of the reach of working poor people. It's good for what it is, though, and I shop there sometimes, as I do at Trader Joe's, Valu, Rainbow Blossom and Lotsa Pasta.As for the haters, well, bless their hearts ... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:39 am

I like their seafood counter. That's the only reason I ever go, though.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:51 am

Iggy C wrote:I like their seafood counter. That's the only reason I ever go, though.

Their seafood counter is nice but I think it's overpriced like most other things in the store. We were in there the other day to get a couple of things we can't find elsewhere and looked in the seafood counter, they wanted $26.95 for scallops that weren't that big. If that's the going price for scallops these days is no wonder that the poster who posted about the price of them at Café Lou Lou the other day we shocked to see the price of the entrée using them!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:38 am

Yikes, that is a lot more than I remember paying. Is there a better alternative you have in mind?
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:04 am

Anyone try out Lucky's Market? Their meat and seafood selections are great, as well as their produce. Their weekly meat and produce specials are unbelievable. A few weeks ago I bought a seedless watermelon, about the size of a basketball, for $.50, yes FIFTY CENTS.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:27 pm

Trader Joe's had those seedless watermelons today for $3.99. Whole Foods has them for $7.99.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Frozen puff pastry at WF was just under 10 bucks for just a few sheets. Yeah sometimes they have better quality but I can't shop there all the time. The meat and seafood is worth the splurge once in a blue moon.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:10 pm

I was at both today and noticed that. I also saw that cherries and organic strawberries were cheaper at WF. I think it's clear that if one only shopped at WF, one would spend way too much. However, one can pick and choose. I do go there once every two months for certain items that I can't find elsewhere and I always find a few things on sale that are a good bargain. Regarding the OP, I don't get the pre-packaged items, though.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:11 pm

SilvioM wrote: Regarding the OP, I don't get the pre-packaged items, though.

I think that's a key point. I don't have much interest in those, since I like to cook. There's an awful lot of prepped food at both stores, but my feeling is that WF has more of the basics. Or maybe it's just that WF is a lot bigger?
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:30 pm

WF is nice and all but I prefer Lucky's. Doesn't seem as high-faluting to me. The produce at Lucky's is outstanding. A couple of weeks ago, I found dried garbanzo beans there at a very reasonable price when nobody else in town had them. Just wish Lucky's was closer to the Sunnyside.

http://www.luckysmarket.com/location/louisville-ky/
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org