Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Marsha's Industry Standard: Tool Time

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:14 pm

Industry Standard: Tool Time

By Marsha Lynch

I was going through some random "not-very-important" kitchen boxes in the basement when I came across a brown box, roughly the size of a (single-sleeve) box of Girl Scout cookies. Valtrompia Bread Tube-Star, it says. Also: The (Name of the Company) and The Kitchen Store that Comes to your Door.

I bought this at a party many years ago. A party I was basically out of options to skip, short of feigning a family funeral or a trip to the hospital for something no one would want to discuss. It's basically a stainless-steel tube, shaped like a star, with a round removable cap on each end. I bought it as a set of three. Said star-shaped bread tube, a heart-shaped one, and a flower blossom-shaped one. I did not want to attend this party. I just couldn't get out of it. "You're studying to be a Chef! You have to come!" Sigh. I had to go. And I had to buy something. I don't remember what the set of tubes cost, exactly, only that it really put a crimp in my budget that week. I see there's a "$2" yard-sale sticker on it, where I must have tried to pawn it off on someone else at one time, but obviously, no takers. Even though I paid way more for it myself.

You'll get cornered into attending one of these parties one day. Be ready. Buy something marginally useful. Don't go for the gimmicky stuff. Don't you dare buy that "garlic crusher" — a decent cook doesn't need anything but the side of his knife to crush garlic, and have you ever tried to clean one of those things, with all the little holes? Nightmare.

How about that fancy-ass gourmet store in the mall? No. That place is strictly for gift-giving or gift-card buying. Surprisingly, (and unlike the home-party chef goods) the quality of their stuff is decent-to excellent, but it's hella overpriced. This is where you go for a crazy expensive "gingerbread house kit" for your kid's teacher's Christmas present. This is where you go for a blown-glass red wine decanter to give as a wedding present to your favorite casual oenophile. Snowflake ice cube trays? Okay, I'll allow it. But please don't buy enameled cast iron here — the mark-up is just too much. Ditto anything that will actually touch flame or burner or oven rack. Don't buy pans or spatulas or strainers or cookie sheets of any type here. If you do, you might as well throw your cash onto your flat glass electric stovetop and see how long it takes it to smolder.

Where should a home cook go for cooking equipment? A restaurant supply store.

Yes! You, too, can visit a restaurant supply store! Most of them are open to the public, so you can walk right in like you're Emeril, grab a cart, and go to town. (Warning: You will want to go to town SO HARD.) Racks and racks of very reasonably priced stuff await your perusal. It's not fancy, but it's restaurant-grade. Restaurant chefs don't take kindly to things breaking in half after six or seven uses, so these products are pretty much built to last.

Every ambitious home cook needs a chinois, a fine-mesh strainer great for straining sauces and custards. Mall-store price? $119 U.S. Restaurant store price? $25.99. Much the same for sheet pans, cake decorating supplies, and a thousand other things you didn't even know you needed, so be careful!

Pro tips: I also find Bed, Bath and Beyond has a decent selection of stovetop cookware at a not-too-inflated price. And all my enameled cast iron cookware (literally, one of every style/size, with lids!) was purchased as my Christmas gift five years ago by my long-suffering fiancé, John, at ALDI of all places. It's not Le Creuset, but I have zero complaints so far about the off-brand. And they are so red and shiny! I had the most fun opening all those boxes on Christmas morning.

You can also find decently-priced kitchenwares online, via Amazon and restaurant supply websites. But do your research; read reviews. Take the shipping cost into account when deciding. And be prepared to send stuff back for a refund if it's low-quality. Don't be one of those people who says "Ew, that isn't remotely the quality I was expecting. I'll send it back one of these days …" I have a pile of that stuff in another "not-very-important" kitchen box in the basement. Don't be me.

Marsha Lynch has worked at many Louisville independent restaurants including Limestone, Jack Fry's, Jarfi's, L&N Wine Bar and Bistro and Café Lou Lou.

Read it on LouisvilleHotBytes:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/tool-time

and in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/06/tool-time/
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Marsha's Industry Standard: Tool Time

by RonnieD » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:08 am

"built to last" is the key. Everything in my kitchen at home came from a restaurant supply. A 2" half pan is built to withstand war, there is nothing I can do to it in my home that can match that, so I buy it once and use it for the rest of my life. This goes for most things. Skillets, stock pots, metal spoons. The only reason you'll ever buy two is because you need two.

I haven't purchased a piece of kitchen anything from anywhere else in 25 years.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:46 am

While I love shopping at restaurant supply places , since I usually only cook for 2 I find the sheet pans and other stuff at those places just proportioned too big. I do like shopping at the Tuesday Morning in Southern Indiana for most of my gear.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Carla G wrote:While I love shopping at restaurant supply places , since I usually only cook for 2 I find the sheet pans and other stuff at those places just proportioned too big.

Carla, I get it - but I've bought many a quarter-sized sheet pan from Dine Company - they do exist! Perfect for two hamburger buns or six cookies (LOL, who makes only six cookies? But you could.). Also I've bought quarter-size enameled roasting pans with the slitted rack at restaurant supply stores that are perfect for one small chicken . Give them another try!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks Marsha! I will do that. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson