Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

"“It’s just f---ing pizza.”"

no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

"“It’s just f---ing pizza.”"

by Joel F » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:50 am

In Philadelphia:

Bon Appétit magazine says Pizzeria Beddia has the best pizza in America

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/food ... erica.html
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: "“It’s just f---ing pizza.”"

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:04 am

I'd respect publications like this a lot more if they didn't make absurd, unsupportable claims like "best pizza in America" and just said "best pizza I've ever had" or "this is really, really, dang good pizza."

As it is, pieces like this are just eyeroll-making.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:10 am

I agree that calling something the best pizza in America is a bit silly. That said, the best pizza I ever had was at Di Fara's, so the fact that this guy looks to DeMarco as his standard makes me believe it's probably pretty fantastic pizza. Interesting that he cooks at 600 degrees for 10 minutes -- most artisanal places cook much hotter and faster (plus they use wood or coal ovens, not gas). It's encouraging to think that someone with a basic equipment, good ingredients and good technique could do this pretty much anywhere. I wonder how many other people are out there studying videos of DeMarco on YouTube attempting to replicate his techniques.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:47 am

The family and I are heading up to Philly this weekend and we plan on trying this pie. It will be tough because of all the cheesesteak we plan on eating, but we gonna make it happen.
BShep
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:18 am

I've been to Di Fara's a couple of times and it would be pretty hard to beat. A lot of the experience, though, is taking the train all the way out to Midwood and waiting in line for an hour (if you're lucky).

The last time I was there they were delayed in opening while Dom tangled with the health inspector. Apparently the guy wanted Dom to wear a hat, and after 45 minutes of arguing he finally consented. That hat was in the trash about 10 seconds after the inspector left.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:39 am

Looking forward to hearing your impressions, Bryan. Richard, that place was indeed pretty grungy -- in a way that made the experience more memorable. Character grunge. That hat story is hilarious.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:49 am

Richard S. wrote:Apparently the guy wanted Dom to wear a hat, and after 45 minutes of arguing he finally consented. That hat was in the trash about 10 seconds after the inspector left.

:lol:

Of course, what the inspector probably really wanted was for Dom to ask, "What would it take to make this go away?"
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:35 am

The inspector did eat before he left, so he apparently wasn't too concerned. Didn't see whether or not he paid.