Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Park Place on Main

User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Park Place on Main

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:28 pm

Had an incredible post Christmas family dinner at Park Place on Main last night. My wife, son and I had weathered the travel to Eastern Kentucky over the 24th & 25th and were now ready to relax and look forward to another new year.

We had 7:30 reservations and were promptly seated. Byron was our server and he was knowledgeable and attentive without being obtrusive, perfect in other words.

Sliced Blue Dog rustic loaf bread appeared after we had ordered. It was served with a trio of spreads. Soft herbed butter, cream cheese with a large dollop of Jezebel sauce and Duck butter. The Duck butter had just enough duck fat to render a subtle flavor without a greasy mouth feel. The Jezebel sauce caught my son's palate and Cindy opted for the herbed.

Appetizers were Bibb Lettuce salads for Cindy and I. Crumbled bits of Menage cheese, candied walnuts, apples and a subtle cider-tarragon vinaigrette all melded well.

Mains were Filet of Beef from Creekstone Farms served perfectly medium rare for the lady. She pronounced it "the best" steak she has had in a very long time. It was accompanied by a small skillet of orzo pasta with a cheese sauce and haricot verts. Duncan and I both opted for the Berkshire Burger which is pork belly, aged on site, wrapped in ground pork and then wrapped with bacon. This was served on a corn bread "bun" which was just right. I like my cornbread dry and unsweetened so the corn flavor is pronounced; which must be the same way the fine folks in Maysville like theirs. Sides were fried tobacco onions and brussel sprout slaw.

Dessert was a beautiful presentation of Kenny's Bleu cheese served with figs, apples, candied walnuts and more Blue Dog bread.

Mr. Denham popped out of the kitchen and we had an interesting chat about local food producers, his pork belly techniques, cornbread and a very fine Maysville artist whose work is/was hanging over at Shiraz in Holiday Manor(and whose name escapes me now). Jay Denham and staff are doing wonders and continue to make Park Place a great dining destination.

Thanks for a wonderful evening, we will be back soon.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Sounds great Ed. Nice review.
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:07 pm

Ed, Was the Maysville reference because of Jay or do you have a connection there? Just curious, because I am also from Maysville. If the paintings are local landscapes or city scenes the artist may be Steve White. We have several pieces of his work in our house.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:33 pm

Ed,
I have had a similarly consistent review from a friend of mine lately that should remind us that Park Place is still a good option after Anoosh. I had concerns early that the menu looked a bit pedestrian at first, but it seems to really be working well.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:39 pm

Unbeknownst to me before we dined was the fact that Jay is indeed from Maysville, Jeff. I have visited there many times and really think it is one of the jewels in Kentucky's crown. I was telling him about the art in Shiraz that we realy admire. I don't know how often the art gets rotated at Shiraz so I don't know if it is still up. I'll take a look at Steve White's website and see if that jogs any memories. Most were still life oils of street scenes. I hope I'm not confusing someone else with Joan Schulte, whom is a Louisville artist whose art also graces Shiraz. Nice as well.
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:27 pm

Ed What you describe sounds exactly like his work. Anyway I love my home town. We moved away in 95 to Louisville. My mom moved to Lexington after my dad passed in 97. Its a REAL funny feeling having to stay in a hotel when we visit. The food scene is what you would expect for a small town. But Pasquales pizza is still the best!! Been there for as long as I can remember. Jay does Maysville proud!!!
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:04 pm

We went tonight! I loved it.

It was totally a spur of the moment decision. My biggest regret was that the place wasn't packed. It should be.

What I enjoyed the most were the little plates. As a matter of fact, we only ordered from the Little Plate section.

We each got our own appetizer, soup, and a salad. Then finished with dessert and coffee. It was perfect. Their Bison Short Rib was TO DIE FOR.

Everything tasted so fresh. I almost took my hubby's crab cake away from him. Yums. Their Winter Squash Soup was amazing.