Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Not looking good for Tropicuba ...

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Not looking good for Tropicuba ...

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:53 pm

On their Facebook page:

TropiCuba Restaurant & Bar wrote:TropiCuba will be temporarily closed as of today, June 22nd, until further notice.
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Not looking good for Tropicuba ...

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:31 pm

We were there a couple weeks ago on a Friday for dinner around 6:00, and it was deserted. Two people at the bar were the only other folks in there. The food was pretty good, but one of the staff seemed to be in a bad mood and the other was almost creepily over-attentive. Not the greatest experience.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:We were there a couple weeks ago on a Friday for dinner around 6:00, and it was deserted. Two people at the bar were the only other folks in there. The food was pretty good, but one of the staff seemed to be in a bad mood and the other was almost creepily over-attentive. Not the greatest experience.

I notice that the immediate prior post on their Facebook page advertised an awesome-sounding Father's Day special, so perhaps they stayed open just long enough to hope for a last holiday rush. "Creepily over-attentive" sounds like the guy we had! Anglo, not Latino?

I just heard from Orlando, who said he and his father decided they had to close. They are looking for a buyer and hope a similar restaurant can continue in the space.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:48 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:We were there a couple weeks ago on a Friday for dinner around 6:00, and it was deserted. Two people at the bar were the only other folks in there. The food was pretty good, but one of the staff seemed to be in a bad mood and the other was almost creepily over-attentive. Not the greatest experience.

Went once - were the only table in the place - had the same guy. (creepily over attentive that is!) This was at least a couple of months ago though.....I really want something to do well in that spot - however, we had no reason to go back after that first visit.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Heather L wrote: the same guy. (creepily over attentive that is!)

That was really one of the few really problematic server experiences we've had. He didn't do a particularly good job, either, but his conversational shtick was problematic at best. I was there with Mary and our friend Anne, an Episcopal priest (she wasn't wearing her collar, though), and he made some startlingly flirtatious remarks that would have been out of place even if he wasn't a perfect stranger. A trio of fierce glares shut that down pretty fast, but apparently his style was consistent.

That's a particular shame, because Orlando and his father seem to be good folks, and I think we all appreciated their participation in the forum and interest in our opinions when they were setting up shop.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Does this location just have the mark of death? (yes, it's a real thing :twisted: )
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:27 pm

RonnieD wrote:Does this location just have the mark of death? (yes, it's a real thing :twisted: )

You may recall that this question was asked when Orlando first came to us seeking advice. Also filed under "difficult layout for a restaurant and kitchen" and "landlord with unrealistic expectations."
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:35 am

I'm sorry to hear this, but not surprised. I have known Orlando's dad for years, and he's a good guy. I also got to know Orlando pretty well. I went there a number of times, and took some friends for a business meeting a month or so ago. I thought the food was OK every time I went. I experienced the same server that everyone has commented on and found him pretty annoying. Make that very annoying.
no avatar
User

Matt M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 am

by Matt M » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:33 am

I think I saw a lease sign in the window yesterday
no avatar
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

by Peg O'Neill » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:12 pm

A friend and I also went, against our better judgement, not long after it opened. The service, as other people noted, was...overattentive, bordering on creepy. The food was so terrible I thought it had to be a joke. Also - maybe I'm not in the know on this - is spaghetti a thing in Cuba?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Peg O'Neill wrote: is spaghetti a thing in Cuba?

Spaghetti is a huge thing in Argentina, which has a very large percentage of Italian immigrants in its family tree. Back in Ellis Island days, more Italians went to Argentina than came to the U.S. Accordingly, Argentine food and wine is very big on Italian flavors, including pasta. And because Argentina is a major force in Latin culture, some of that laps over into the rest of the hemisphere, even Cuba.
no avatar
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

by Peg O'Neill » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:10 pm

That's interesting. But Cuba and Argentina are like 4k miles apart. And there were at least 3-4 spaghetti dishes on the menu. I'm not seeing them now on their online menu, so maybe it was a temporary thing?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:01 pm

Peg O'Neill wrote:That's interesting. But Cuba and Argentina are like 4k miles apart. And there were at least 3-4 spaghetti dishes on the menu. I'm not seeing them now on their online menu, so maybe it was a temporary thing?

Hard to know ... maybe pasta is cheaper than meat? :mrgreen: