Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Epic Sammich Co. opening tomorrow ...

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Former Rumplings. Same crew. New sandwiches. Looks awesome.

According to Teh Facebook, it opens at 11 a.m. tomorrow, June 16.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Epic Sammich Co. opening tomorrow ...

by Ron H » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:12 am

I went by Epic Sammich on the 18th, and I have to say that I'm pretty pleased. Two sandwiches and a drink ended up being $27, but the sandwiches were very filling. I got the BLT3 and my wife got the Honky Tonk hot chicken sandwich.

One of the most interesting things about the B3 was the texture. It's 3 types of bacon; smoked, belly, and back bacon, so you had the intense savory belly, the pleasantly chewy back, and the crispy smokey strips. Every bite was different, but also uniform in a very nice way. Generous portion of bacon, too. The bread was nicely toasted, the greens and tomato were crisp and cool, and the aioli was nice and garlicky.

As for the Honky Tonk sandwich, well... nobody in Louisville has yet to do proper hot chicken. Don't get me wrong, it was a good buffalo chicken sandwich, but it wasn't Nashville Hot Chicken. The Nashville style isn't vinegar sauce, it's a spice paste that gets fried into the breading. It's as greasy as Crisco on a hot sidewalk, but it's delicious. The Honky wasn't particularly spicy, but the honey butter Kaiser roll and fried pickles were awesome, and the sandwich itself is a solid buffalo chicken sandwich. However, the one on Thursday was a little raw in the middle (visibly pink and textually raw) so that ended both my wife's appetite. Of course, they promptly made her another one, but after one raw chicken sandwich, you aren't really in the mood for another and they didn't give her an opportunity to ask for something else.

For the record, the cold chicken sandwich made a good lunch the next day, but I guess if I want hot chicken, I'm going to have to drive to Nashville to get it.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:24 am

Ron H wrote:For the record, the cold chicken sandwich made a good lunch the next day, but I guess if I want hot chicken, I'm going to have to drive to Nashville to get it.

It's coming, mate.

:D
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:46 am

My girlfriend spent some time in Nashville and often comments that nobody around here seems to get it right. However, apparently the version at Manny & Merle's is very close. I enjoyed it, and she though it quite authentic. Tony is also opening Joella's(supposedly "soon") and they will specialize in the same. Had a good hot fried chicken sandwich at Dundee gastropub. The GF said it wasn't at all Nashville, but we both really enjoyed it.
no avatar
User

Tony P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:32 am

by Tony P. » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:24 am

Dan E wrote:My girlfriend spent some time in Nashville and often comments that nobody around here seems to get it right. However, apparently the version at Manny & Merle's is very close. I enjoyed it, and she though it quite authentic. Tony is also opening Joella's(supposedly "soon") and they will specialize in the same. Had a good hot fried chicken sandwich at Dundee gastropub. The GF said it wasn't at all Nashville, but we both really enjoyed it.

Thanks Dan, Joella's Hot Chicken is slated to open August 1st.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:29 am

Ron H wrote:I went by Epic Sammich on the 18th, and I have to say that I'm pretty pleased. Two sandwiches and a drink ended up being $27, but the sandwiches were very filling. I got the BLT3 and my wife got the Honky Tonk hot chicken sandwich.

Whoa...2 sandwiches and one drink came in at $27?

Let's see a lunchtime drink was probably $2-3, so does that mean that 2 sandwiches cost $25???

Too rich for this guy.

Otherwise a very nice review!
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:52 am

Jerry C wrote:Let's see a lunchtime drink was probably $2-3, so does that mean that 2 sandwiches cost $25???

Too rich for this guy.

Otherwise a very nice review!

Thanks, I do my best. It was evening/dinner hours. Drink was $1.50, the BLT3 was $11 and I think the Honky Tonky was $13. Pricey for a sandwich, but both were generous sandwiches.

Tony P. wrote:Thanks Dan, Joella's Hot Chicken is slated to open August 1st.

Don't let me down, Tony. Until then I guess I have to get out to Manny and Merle's to give their hot chicken a shot.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Tony P. wrote:
Dan E wrote:My girlfriend spent some time in Nashville and often comments that nobody around here seems to get it right. However, apparently the version at Manny & Merle's is very close. I enjoyed it, and she though it quite authentic. Tony is also opening Joella's(supposedly "soon") and they will specialize in the same. Had a good hot fried chicken sandwich at Dundee gastropub. The GF said it wasn't at all Nashville, but we both really enjoyed it.

Thanks Dan, Joella's Hot Chicken is slated to open August 1st.

Thanks for the info. I let her know and she was very excited, as it is quite close to us. Not that I'm not looking forward to it also.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:05 pm

If you like cheaper fare, Kevin Gibson reviewed Jasmine Bakery today in IL and said that they might have the best gyro (or gyro-ish) sandwich in town, costing all of $5 for the "big" version.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Not to derail too much, but when I ate at Jasmine during the last World Cup, they had meat pies but no sandwiches that I recall. I'll have to try that gyro; it sounds really good and different. Surprised the writer didn't mention al-Watan or Jerusalem Cafe, though.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 pm

SilvioM wrote:If you like cheaper fare, Kevin Gibson reviewed Jasmine Bakery today in IL and said that they might have the best gyro (or gyro-ish) sandwich in town, costing all of $5 for the "big" version.

Now that is my kind of pricing...I'm all for a restaurant (any business, actually) making a profit...just not a full day's worth off me on one visit. :D
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:08 am

SilvioM wrote:If you like cheaper fare, Kevin Gibson reviewed Jasmine Bakery today in IL and said that they might have the best gyro (or gyro-ish) sandwich in town, costing all of $5 for the "big" version.

1.) Jasmine Bakery's gyro is phenomenal. I had it last night. Left with a huge meal-sided sandwich, a small loaf of bread, and a jar of Eurocrem (a vanilla/hazelnut spread) for $8.

2.) I had to use my GPS to find the joint. It's across the street from Angio's Pizza in a little strip mall, and it's definitely worth heading into Buechel for.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:15 pm

Ha, I tried Jasmine yesterday for lunch! We got a gyro and what they called a “sausage sandwich,” which turned out to be cevapi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%86evapi) For the gyro, I would say the meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, and tzatziki filling was good, but within normal expected range for gyros. The bread, however, was outstanding. Crusty exterior with a spongy interior – the crumb is a little like a moist English muffin. The flavor was fantastic. The sausage sandwich had many small cevapis inside. They are the Bosnian version of ground meat kebabs you might find at a Turkish or Persian restaurant, but smaller and fairly salty. The cevapi sandwich came with meat, onion, and sour cream, all on the same bread as the gyro.

Ultimately I don’t know if I think it’s the best gyro in town, but it is definitely really good and unique. We both recommend both sandwiches highly – particularly for the bread. We will definitely be back to get a loaf of bread and some more cevapi sandwiches.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:48 pm

And oh yeah, the sandwiches were $5 each.